Am I ready for a Hayabusa?

without reading the rest of the replys I will tell you the Busa was my first and only Bike 3 yrs ago,I tought myself to ride on it,I had an 02' that I modded everything on,stretched,slammed,chromed,had motor work,nos...everything,I learned that bike inside out,I just purchased an 08'"new" orange and Black....with your experience riding,you will not regret it,I have no regrets and wouldnt have done it any other way

enjoy it bro

:beerchug:

I think you will be fine my hayabusa is the secound bike I ever owned.The first being a TL1000 and thats a beast. I'm not a small guy but both are a lot of bike.I love the busa and so will you. All the power is there but you don't have to use it unless you want to.Just be carful for the first couple days by day 3 or 4 your going to want to see what it has. I would go with the 08. Trust me when I say you can handle it I was so nurvous when I pulled my 08 off that show room floor. The TL I had weighed a good 440 lb's or so this bike is about 50 to 75 lb's heavier and feels lighter cas of the good balancing. Post some pics when you get it. And welcome:welcome:
:thumbsup:

Congrats on the new bike! I started out on cruisers moved to naked sport bikes then to the busa. There is nothing like the performance and it makes a nice two-up bike. My wife and I have done several long rides and she commented (because she never complains :whistle: ) that her knees hurt after a while so we bought a Corbin seat and life is good.

Congrats on the bike and you're not very far away so PM me if you want to ride some time.

Last edited:
They faxed the paperwork over to the credit union on Saturday. However, thanks to President's Day, they won't get it until tomorrow. :( I fogged up the glass of Dallas North Honda North Suzuki all night last night staring at my new ride. :mwink:

My wife and I discussed getting an 08 last night. If I put a grand down, I could have one. However, here are the problems with it. The blue one, ugly. Not even going to consider it. The orange and black one, I absolutely love it, but all my gear is blue from the Gixxer 600 and I'd have to invest in all new gear. The black one, though quite beautiful, I hate the bright Hayabusa emblems on the fairings. I wish they'd made them more of a subdued color. It all boiled down to the fact that we like the way the 07 looks and aren't concerned with how much better the 08 may perform.

:welcome: aboard and to the madness:laugh: I have a 02 Gen 1 and wouldn't trade it for the world! I simple love her!! And if you want to start changing your gear go to newenough.com and do a search on the org. there's a lot of deals out there! Plus if you have to get a different color gear it's ok, now your wife has many choices for gifts for you:laugh:

1: Great Bike! I ownly owned a Vulcan 1000 years ago before my wife and I got the Busa. My bad boned wife was the one that insisted on it! :laugh: Just take it easy at first and get to know the bike. Be very careful as the throttle is VERY sensitive when new!

2: The orange 08 looks Badass! If you love it, don't worry about the gear. Just get the bike and change the gear out slowly! If you love the 07 better, then get that one. Liking what you're riding (which is way more expensive) should come first. I personally have a red 2005 just like my signature and haven't been swayed over to buying the 08. I love my 2005!

Welcome to the forum, TC! Good luck, Enjoy! Give the foggy glass another wipe and continue to enjoy the view. You'll be riding it soon!!! :cheerleader:

You will do fine on it, more than enough experience riding, if you aren't ready now you will never be. The power will feel overwhelming at first but in time you will adjust to it and be looking for ways to get it to create more power. Go easy with it and take time adapting and getting the feel for it before you really turn it loose.

Congrats on the purchase. Although I would like to have a Gen II, my 06 is more capable than I am. When it's that fast, who cares if another has a few more horses. The up side of things, aftermarket parts for the Gen 1s are readily available and many things can be found used at nice prices due to so many going to the Gen IIs. Always a good thing once the mod bug bites you.

I say if you like the 08 grey model but do not like the emblems take them off the are only sticker and then have some made that suit your taste sticker do not cost that much

They faxed the paperwork over to the credit union on Saturday. However, thanks to President's Day, they won't get it until tomorrow. :( I fogged up the glass of Dallas North Honda North Suzuki all night last night staring at my new ride. :mwink:

You will be fine. Tell Chris (Service Manager) at Honda Suzuki North,
Michael says Hello form Austin - he is a good friend of mine.

This is an easy fix. I just bought some replacement logo's for mine (since I'm repainting it completely) and they were under $70. I got them in matte black but you can get them anyway you want them, color, shine, reflective...etc.

[QUOTEThe black one, though quite beautiful, I hate the bright Hayabusa emblems on the fairings. I wish they'd made them more of a subdued color. [/QUOTE]

A little background. I'm a 38-year-old veteran police officer. Actually, my wife says I'm 38 going on 15, but that's for another time. Anyway, I'm up late worrying over going to the Suzuki dealership tomorrow where I plan to buy my first Hayabusa. My wife keeps questioning me on whether or not I'm ready for such a beast of a ride. Here's a brief synopsis of my riding history:

1984 - Honda Spree scooter - Okay, I know it's not a motorcycle, but when I was 14 this is where I began riding on 2 wheels. My parents bought me one and I ran that sucker clean into the ground. It died of exhaustion by the time I was 16.

1988 - Honda 400 - I don't remember too much about this bike. I got it when I was 18. It was so stinking slow that I only had it for just over a year.

1990 - Suzuki GS500E - Bought this one new when I was 20 and had just gone active duty in the Army. I loved this bike. It wasn't very fast, but hey, coming off a 400 it was a huge difference.

1993 - Suzuki GS1300E - Added this to the GS500E. It was a full sized touring bike. Wife and I loved it and about ran it into the ground.

1995 - 2000 - Moved to Dallas and wasn't comfortable riding in a major metro area.

2000 - Purchased a Suzuki Katana 750. I loved this bike, but outgrew it after a few years. Lacked the power that I wanted.

2004 - Suzuki GSXR 600 - Probably the best bike I've ever owned. I really enjoyed this bike and had tons of fun with it. VERY scary at 13k rpms! Wife complained and complained that the back seat was made for anorexic 18 year old girls....so I sold this one. :(

2006 - Honda VTX1800R - I thought this would be a good compromise, what with it being a big bore cruiser. I was very wrong. It's heavy, it's cumbersome and it doesn't perform anywhere near as well as my old Gixxer 600 did. I never did enjoy this bike. Plus, the cruiser scene really is for poseurs...not my thing.

As you can see, I've only had one reeeeeaaaallllly fast bike in the past. However, I'm a responsible rider........most of the time. Sometimes the throttle gods are cruel to me and I get on it, but very rarely. Is this the right bike for someone with the impulses to get on it from time to time? The main reason I'm purchasing this Busa is because I have determined I'm simply a sport biker, not a cruiser......plus the back seat is much larger than those of the 600/750/1000s, thus appeasing the wife.

General consensus? Am I about to end up a bug on the windshield of a semi-truck or what? :please:

Because you asked, you are not ready...

My wife and I discussed getting an 08 last night. If I put a grand down, I could have one. However, here are the problems with it. The blue one, ugly. Not even going to consider it. The orange and black one, I absolutely love it, but all my gear is blue from the Gixxer 600 and I'd have to invest in all new gear. The black one, though quite beautiful, I hate the bright Hayabusa emblems on the fairings. I wish they'd made them more of a subdued color. It all boiled down to the fact that we like the way the 07 looks and aren't concerned with how much better the 08 may perform.

I have Orange/Black but it was a toss up with that and the Blue,I cant believe you think the blue is ugly,,haha...with the gold rims,there lots of gold pieces out ther to match....I've seen some sweet 08 blue Busa's but thats why they come in different colors,everybody has different tastes.

goodluck with whatever you buy

There are orange and black 08's around, you can shop online and make a deal over the phone.
You will be upside down in the 07 the day you buy it. The 08 is the better choice financially, forget it is a year newer, the fact it's a gen 2 makes it the smart choice. With the 09 prices going up, the 08 resale value should climb when they are all gone from the showrooms. The gen 1 will continue to decline in the used market. There will always be buyers for the gen 1. More buyers for the gen 2.
Something to consider if you want to get the most for the money.

Hey Texascop!
Just do it, if you havn't already! I just traded my chopper for a 03 Busa. Thats the best thing I ever did! Now I have all the power and handling pluss brakes.
Good luck
Steve

Back