Am I crazy?

TX Heat

Registered
This is my first post here, so how's it goin?

I've dreamed of owning a Hayabusa for 5 or 6 years, since the first time I actually saw one up close. I don't have any experience with bikes at all. Would a Hayabusa be an absolute disaster for a first bike? I'm 28, married, have a kid, house, a good job. So I'm not some punk kid off the streets wanting to go 170mph everywhere. I've been into mustangs for about 8 years, and getting kind of burnt out paying around 3.50 a gallon for really crappy gas mileage. I've been looking for quite a while. 600's are cool, but I know I'll still want a hayabusa in the end. I also would like something my wife would feel comfortable riding on for more the 10 minutes. I'm very respectful of horsepower, I seen what happens when people get stupid in cars.

Is this a bike I easily cruise around on until I'm ready for higher speeds? Also I'm 6'2" 220. Not sure if that matters, I just hear people say they think they're either to big or small for a particular bike.

Thanks

Whatever you decide, good luck bro!
beerchug.gif

I think mostly its what's between your ears, if you've got a good and mature head, i'd imagine you'd be fine! Anyway, good to have ya on the board, STICK AROUND!
thumb_up.gif

well that is a question that will stir an easy 10 pages of debates...

Start here

IMO, I think you rob yourself of a lot of fun by starting on such a physically large machine..

my vote is start smaller and enjoy the learning curve..
beerchug.gif

Start here

IMO, I think you rob yourself of a lot of fun by starting on such a physically large machine..  

my vote is  start smaller and enjoy the learning curve..
beerchug.gif
Great thread to read, thanks. Lots of great opinions for and against.

But about the "physically larger machine" part. The other bike I was considering was the GSX 650F, which is pretty much the same size and weight. I really don't want to spend a ton of money on "learning bikes" (GSXR600) to make my way towards the Busa.

If I can find a dirt cheap 650F, I might go that route.

Start here

my vote is  start smaller and enjoy the learning curve..
beerchug.gif
Great thread to read, thanks.  Lots of great opinions for and against.

But about the "physically larger machine" part.  The other bike I was considering was the GSX 650F, which is pretty much the same size and weight.  I really don't want to spend a ton of money on "learning bikes" (GSXR600) to make my way towards the Busa.

If I can find a dirt cheap 650F, I might go that route.
thumb_up.gif
smart way to go. not because I dont think your capable of the busa but because it will help you to learn important lessons on a more forgiving machine and cheaper machine. every pilot loves jets but they start on single engine cesnas.

work your way up and you WILL have more fun.

welcome.gif
to the org. and no matter what you decide....stick around no one hear cares...there are even rumors of one of our members selling his busa for a ducati
laugh.gif
lol1.gif

[/quote] But about the "physically larger machine" part.  The other bike I was considering was the GSX 650F, which is pretty much the same size and weight.  I really don't want to spend a ton of money on "learning bikes" (GSXR600) to make my way towards the Busa.

If I can find a dirt cheap 650F, I might go that route.[/quote]
thumb_up.gif
smart way to go. not because I dont think your capable of the busa but because it will help you to learn important lessons on a more forgiving machine and cheaper machine. every pilot loves jets but they start on single engine cesnas.

work your way up and you WILL have more fun. [/quote]
+1...
welcome.gif
to the board...buy a smaller bike to learn and make mistakes on, pass it on to your wife in a year or so (whenever you have your skills built up), and get what you want then
beerchug.gif
just my  
2cents.gif

Hey brotha...I started out on a Hayabusa...I'm a large dude and a 600 just is not cuttin it for me...went and sat on all the biggins...CBR1000, R1, ZX10..14 was not out yet so it was not even an option...but once I was on the Busa there was no question...it alot to chew with your first bite..but if you are in fact responsible and have some common sense to ya...I was always told the bike is only gonna go as fast as you make it..

Welcome to the board! If you've read that thread you have the majority of opinions about it. My personal opinion is start on something smaller in terms of engine performance, but comparable in weight. In the end though it's your decision.

If you are looking at the 650F think about the Bandit. Still about the same size and weight. It has great midrange torque and on the street you are almost always in the sweet spot and your wife will probably love the riding position. I think that the F is a little bandit with skins. Just another option.

Crazy?.. ya a little. You seem like you're a little more mature than the average 20 nothing year old that just wants a Hayabusa so he can do 180 on busy roads.. but you will miss out on a lot of the things you can learn much easier on smaller bikes (not to mention.. it's cheaper to fix a 600 when you drop it).. Get you a 2000-2003 gsxr 600.. you'll thank yourself for it down the road. Also, take an MSF course.. it might save your life one day.

The Busa was my first rocket, not my first bike, but first "HOLY S#!%" bike. I'm in the same boat as you, wife, kids, house, good job....blah, blah, blah

My only advise to you, take it easy until you fully understand the power of the bike, then have a blast.

One more thing, wear your riding gear.

Definetly going to take the safety class. And I have the green light from the mrs's. Now I just need to sell the stang. Anyone want a sweet 85 SVO mustang?

+1 on the Bandit.  With your size and wanting to ride 2 up, I'd start with the Bandit 1250.  I have one as a stable mate to the Busa.  I got mine for 7,300 OTD brand new.  I'm sure you're thinking its only 50 cc, so why not go for the Busa right away.  Two reasons.  (1) Even though its only 50 ccs, the Bandit isn't pushing the limits of how much HP you can get out of the displacement so there's a significant power difference.  (2) The Bandit is a naked bike.  Price Busa plastics and ask yourself if you want to pay to replace them when you drop it off the stand in the garage or at a stop sign as you are getting used to being on 2 wheels.  Not something you have to think about with a car.

welcome to the org.
Whatever you decide start slow and ride within your means, a bike only does what you want it to do
beerchug.gif

I have been riding over 45 years and I would not recommend the busa as a first bike regardless of your age or maturity. Although there are success stories of riders who learned on a busa, there are also alot of stories that did not have a happy ending. Whatever you do, I hope you stick around on the org.

All you have to do is respect it,do that and you should be just fine. I went from owning a 1987 fzr 600 in 1991 sold it. 15 years later purchased my 06 busa without even test riding it,all I knew is I just had to have one. What a huge difference like I said before just respect it that's all you have to do.
thumb_up.gif

I am exactly your stature and can confirm that you'll fit the Busa perfectly. It's pretty good for passengers too.
thumb_up.gif

I'd be reluctant to recommend it as a first bike though but only you know if you're mature enough to show the self -control that you need when you're riding something as powerful as a Busa
winkold.gif

Back