Am I ready for a Hayabusa?

Rev. 6:5

Registered
A little background. I'm a 38-year-old veteran police officer. Actually, my wife says I'm 38 going on 15, but that's for another time. Anyway, I'm up late worrying over going to the Suzuki dealership tomorrow where I plan to buy my first Hayabusa. My wife keeps questioning me on whether or not I'm ready for such a beast of a ride. Here's a brief synopsis of my riding history:

1984 - Honda Spree scooter - Okay, I know it's not a motorcycle, but when I was 14 this is where I began riding on 2 wheels. My parents bought me one and I ran that sucker clean into the ground. It died of exhaustion by the time I was 16.

1988 - Honda 400 - I don't remember too much about this bike. I got it when I was 18. It was so stinking slow that I only had it for just over a year.

1990 - Suzuki GS500E - Bought this one new when I was 20 and had just gone active duty in the Army. I loved this bike. It wasn't very fast, but hey, coming off a 400 it was a huge difference.

1993 - Suzuki GS1300E - Added this to the GS500E. It was a full sized touring bike. Wife and I loved it and about ran it into the ground.

1995 - 2000 - Moved to Dallas and wasn't comfortable riding in a major metro area.

2000 - Purchased a Suzuki Katana 750. I loved this bike, but outgrew it after a few years. Lacked the power that I wanted.

2004 - Suzuki GSXR 600 - Probably the best bike I've ever owned. I really enjoyed this bike and had tons of fun with it. VERY scary at 13k rpms! Wife complained and complained that the back seat was made for anorexic 18 year old girls....so I sold this one. :(

2006 - Honda VTX1800R - I thought this would be a good compromise, what with it being a big bore cruiser. I was very wrong. It's heavy, it's cumbersome and it doesn't perform anywhere near as well as my old Gixxer 600 did. I never did enjoy this bike. Plus, the cruiser scene really is for poseurs...not my thing.

As you can see, I've only had one reeeeeaaaallllly fast bike in the past. However, I'm a responsible rider........most of the time. Sometimes the throttle gods are cruel to me and I get on it, but very rarely. Is this the right bike for someone with the impulses to get on it from time to time? The main reason I'm purchasing this Busa is because I have determined I'm simply a sport biker, not a cruiser......plus the back seat is much larger than those of the 600/750/1000s, thus appeasing the wife.

General consensus? Am I about to end up a bug on the windshield of a semi-truck or what? :please:

One of the main reasons I went with a busa was because it is much more passenger friendly than other sportbikes. I ride with my lady quite often. I wanted it to be a comfortable and enjoyable ride for her too.

If you have experience and have a good head on your shoulders, you'll be just fine on a busa. The busa is my first sportbike and I've had no problems yet. (knock on wood).

Take your time getting to know the beast and you'll be just fine! :beerchug:

Where are my manners... :welcome: aboard. Post up pics when you get her home, its the :rulez:

Oh and do me a favor and get me a job with your dept...I need a good reason to move down to the lone star state :laugh:

Wow, nice change of pace. It's not a young kid asking why the Busa isn't a good starter bike:beerchug:

Thanks for the reassurance. I am stuck sitting up, unable to sleep wondering if I'm biting off more than I can chew here.

luvmybusa, we're always hiring. ;) The problem is, though, with our crap economy we get hundreds more applicants each cycle than we've ever gotten before. Everybody wants into law enforcement because it's mostly recession proof.

:welcome:

Sounds like the Busa is exactly the bike you need. Just because it's fast dosn't mean it's dangerous. Definately want to respect the throttle for awhile. You have no concept of whats about to happen when you whack it open the first time. :laugh:

heh, trust me, I'm gonna look like a granny on that thing until I get a feel for where the most dangerous part of the power band is. On my 600 I always knew to grip the crap out of it before I punched her to 13k because it was going to run like a raped ape. I don't have the luxury of knowledge when it comes to the Busa.

Oh, I forgot to mention, this is a 2007 model that never left the show room floor. They're asking $9,200 for it. How far do you guys think I can reasonably get them down?

heh, trust me, I'm gonna look like a granny on that thing until I get a feel for where the most dangerous part of the power band is. On my 600 I always knew to grip the crap out of it before I punched her to 13k because it was going to run like a raped ape. I don't have the luxury of knowledge when it comes to the Busa.

Oh, I forgot to mention, this is a 2007 model that never left the show room floor. They're asking $9,200 for it. How far do you guys think I can reasonably get them down?

Gen2...'08-'09 is a much more refined bike :thumbsup:

One of the guys on here just picked up a new 08 for just a couple of hundred more than that.
Check the threads for today and yesterday and it will be there.

You can get a better price on a '07, but you would like the '08 MUCH better :whistle:

:welcome: Go ride one and find out. It's a love/hate relationship. It you like it, you'll love it. If you decide you don't like it, you'll most likely hate it. If you can't find one to ride, at least go sit on one for a while and see if it feels right for you. The torque won't be a problem. I will induce a smile that won't stop. We like to call it Perma-Grin.

:beerchug:

Oh, I forgot. A word of warning. If you don't post pics of her here within 24 hours of purchase, there's gonna be trouble. :rulez:

As for the power band, just hang on from key on to key off.

It's a whole different world! I'd sum it up as tunnel vision inducing. I've ridden many different bikes, but nothing that accelerates like the Hayabusa.

I knew the Busa had been reworked for the 08 year. I'll see how willing they are to wheel and deal on the 08 models.

Oh, I forgot. A word of warning. If you don't post pics of her here within 24 hours of purchase, there's gonna be trouble. :rulez:

But take the reflectors off first:laugh:

Heh, the challenge is that I'm using a credit union. I'll purchase tomorrow, but the paperwork won't be completed until next Wednesday. I won't even turn the key on her for 4 stinking days after the purchase! I know I won't sleep that entire time. :thumbsup:

Back