Almost dumped the busa this morning

BowDown

Registered
I'm riding up a back road that I have taken countless times before... There's some nice corners on this road that I like to power through in dry conditions, but it had been raining all night, and was still pretty wet at 6am this morning.

So I'm taking it easy.. then I come to the last corner.. I know this corner sucks because of crappy repair work they had done months ago so I slow down to an entry of 35mph. (turn is marked 35 on the sign). Well I'm leaning through it, then I see it. The biggest tar snake ever! They decided to dump about a 6ft diameter patch in the apex of the turn, and to top it off it's glazed with water. At this point I was committed, and luckily there was no on-coming traffic.

Front tire hit it, started sliding out.. rear tire then started kicking out. At this point I was off the throttle & no braking, was just along for the ride. I felt it leaning down towards the road so I threw my weight to the other side of the bike. At this point the front tire had hit solid pavement, and the rear was starting to come back the other way. The only thing I could think of was high-siding. when the rear came around and finally hit real pavement the bike just wanted to correct straight. luckily the roads were still wet there and it kinda minimalised the high-side action.

It was amazing I didn't go down. But keeping a level head helped pull me out of that situation.

That patch must be dangerous for cars as well.. I don't know how the town could of thought that was a good idea!

WTF!

all_coholic.gif

GLAD YOU MADE IT THROUGH,I aslmost dumped the other day pulling into a parking lot for my kids football practice...damn sand on blacktop...there is a blacktop driveway about 100yrds long leading to a gravel and sand parking lot,some of the sand built up at the entrance of the driveway...same thing,let go of the throttle,grabbed clutch and held on for the ride as she slid sideways,stood right back up once sand was cleared....i ride my truck there now
wow.gif

Tar snakes are the WORST.. They are all over on rt 9 in DE b/c the state is too dam cheap to fix the road. It's an awesome cycle road-

That's actually what contributed to my skiddishness the day I dumped mine last year.
sad.gif

Nice!

I don't think road repair crews typically bring along anyone with a degree in traffic engineering...
laugh.gif

Glad the snake didnt bite ya and that it didnt turn out any worse than this!
beerchug.gif

Didn't have to change the shorts, but I'd have to say it's changed me a bit. After I got to work I realized how bad it could have been.

(Shibumi @ Aug. 08 2007,10:37) Nice!

I don't think road repair crews typically bring along anyone with a degree in traffic engineering...
laugh.gif
No, not many apply for $5 an hour plus no benefits
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Good for you. Shows real rider maturity, keeping a level head and not panicking.
bowdown.gif

Back