almost crashed tonight

superbusaman

Registered
it was in the 90's today so as the sun was going down i thought i would go for a quick spin. as soon as i turn off my road there is a pretty good straight away. so i get on it(since its in the country) hit about a hundred start slowing b/c there are houses then i see something brown out of the corner of my eye(in someones front yard) its a huge deer!!! he runs in the road stops for a split second and keeps going. left about a 200 foot patch of rubber from locking up my real wheel. if the deer stayed in the road i dont think i would be typing right now. damn deer!!!

yeah...you gotta watch yourself on those country roads, bud. It could have been much, much worse...but I'm glad it wasn't.

Oh yeah...and use the fronts more. Not to mention shifting down...let the engine assist you in braking.

yeah...you gotta watch yourself on those country roads, bud. It could have been much, much worse...but I'm glad it wasn't.

Oh yeah...and use the fronts more. Not to mention shifting down...let the engine assist you in braking.
+ 1 for sure.

sit yourself upright to use the wind resistance (throw those knees out sit up nice and tall, and let your torso and legs act like a parachute to catch the wind), down shift to engine brake (but not too much or you can lock the rear tire up...don't slam down too many gears at one time, listen to your bike...), grab a handful of front brake (not too much...endo), and trail with your rear if at all...not if you're doing 100+, I would say. brake and engine brake first...then trail with your rear. If you're doing much past 140 don't sit up right away like that unless you're holding on damn tight, too. Be prepared for the wind. At 150, 160 +, when you sit up to brake, if you're not prepared/experienced, the wind will rip your butt right off the bike.

dude! i woulda crapped my pants! i'm glad you're okay, dude. we have those damn deer here too and I just know someday when I'm flying along at 170...along's gonna come bambi's mom to take me out. now i'm gonna knock on some wood. i hate tempting fate.

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: "grammatical"|1121182816 -->

just be careful you guys. '05 has been a bad year as I've been seeing way too many threads on wrecks, drops, etc...

friggin deer
mad.gif

I drove into a bush (old beater car...so no worries) because of one. Driving around lake travis and then headed off over the hills to get back home. Friggin deer decides to waltz across the road just after the apex of a blind corner. This is a one way but I still went around slow and saw the ##### just in time...any faster and I would've been eating deer for dinner
sad.gif

Scary!!
wow.gif

I'm glad you're still here to talk about it though...that had to be a frightening moment.

Yeah we have deer with death wishes in NC also. Especially on Highway 13 to/from Greenville. It's nothing at night to see 10 pairs of eyes along the side of the road.

Glad all is well, you see the damage they do to cars so you can imagine what they do to skin & bones....OUCH!

Stupid deer with death wishes! Glad you managed to miss him. I live right around a national forest myself so there's some roads I just avoid altogether in the evenings.

Thank God that you dd not get mixed up with the deer. The are all ove the place by me, even in my 1/8 mile drve.

i went down the road this morning, to check out the nice strip of rubber i laid down. looks like i didnt have the back lockced up completely. u could see where it was skipping around. i consider myself lucky!!!

Glad it worked out OK. I've had a few near misses this summer as well. Late afternoon and evenings always seem to be the worst.

Has anyone tried one of those 12 volt powered deer whistles sold through denniskirk.com and others? I wonder if they do any good?
rock.gif

Back