my "holy crap" moment

jwest

Registered
went to a friends house and on the way home took the hill roads to get home...got to top of hill and started to head down other side...as you get going it Vs in the road and i go to the left...as i get through the Y i get to a shady/darker area...and smoked visor didnt help...lol..doing about 45....and there they are...2 deer standing in the road..maybe 20 ft ahead of me.....i hit the brakes...rear locks and starts to slide and come around...i let off brake..bike straightens and i go BETWEEN the 2 deer as they are running across the road.....maybe 2 ft between the first deers butt and the others head...

i get by...yell in my helmet HOLY CRAP...laugh and keep on going...more alert now...

so as a reminder also to all its that time of year were they will be more active..drive safe..:bowdown:

Stay off the back brake,even if you think it helped this time ,it takes away your overall control of the situation.
I can say this being a hypocrite, having done this myself in the past-distant past!:whistle: Angel on your shoulder, was the difference!:bowdown: :beerchug:

This is my Biggest fear while riding Period.. glad it turned out OK for you.....I once went through a small heard at 65....i was running about 110 when i saw them...Some things you never forget. I don't ride in the dark anymore..bad enough during the day where i live.

:thumbsup:

May I interest you in an alternate motorcycle

armored moto 2.jpg

Or perhaps one more into the defensive type of riding

armored motorcycle.jpg

:rofl::rofl: Glad you made it:beerchug:

armored motorcycle.jpg

armored moto 2.jpg

Hate the damn critters! They're really getting to be a major problem here in Michigan since they outlawed baiting 'em a few years ago and the harvest dropped significantly. I ride 32 miles to work at 5:30am and I won't ride it to work after Oct. 1 when bow season opens and then the rut begins shortly after. I can't tell you how many close calls I've had over the years but let me give you a tip that, knock on wood, has so far worked for me every time. When you first see that deer in the road, or usually on the shoulder, and you're braking hard and praying it jumps away, if you have enough time pull in the clutch and rev it to the moon. The stock horn won't even wake 'em up most of the time but there's something about a Brocks' ShortMeg on the limiter that scares the shid out of 'em and sends 'em running!

Wow you need to buy a video and never turn it off in case this happens again. I would have loved to see this so i could post in on youtube :thumbsup:

its was about 6:30 pm....right when the sun is in a bad place...i think the deer are friends with the turkeys that wouldnt get out of my way a couple weeks ago...lol:laugh:

Here is my }{oly Cr@p Moment:

The weather man says all clear "just some morning showers".

You are working midnight shift this week and tell yourself; oh, I can do a little drizzle by the time you know it your in the middle of a Flash Flood on your Busa. I do stop for a bit under a underpass and wait it out but no luck it is pouring.

So as I start out on the bike easy at 25-30 mph but what is coming out of the distance like a bat out of }{ell ....whatelse? a freakin Semi Truck going 60-65 in a 55mph zone which is the proper speed limit in ideal condtions. The next thing I know I am surfing the waves from this truck like I was in Point Break!
You all know that movie if you are as old as me...:beerchug:

Lesson Learned...Yes, but will I do it again....Sure...why not :cheerleader:

Last edited:
Back