After 10k Miles, Still Struggling With Low Speed Maneuvers; Please Help!

No man I’m not arguing any of that, or that being stronger period isn’t easier on just about everything. All I’m saying is chest strength and picking something off the ground requires different muscles. I can barely bench 180 but can do more than 150 pull ups in a set. I’ve picked my busa up and can honestly say my chest didn’t matter one way or the other, just back and legs. The op clearly needs practice at slow speed maneuvers, that it. There are plenty of people on here that are small, short, or weak that handle the busa everyday.

bro... if ure ever in an emergency setting... sitting down and picking it up backwards.. is that feasible? I'm well aware of the special techniques people use... but really... its a great idea to be STRONG enough to be able to grab the bike by the bars and pick it up... and REALLY benching involves dropping the weight completely on ure chest... if ure back is weak... ure ticeps are tooo small or are otherwise lacking.. u wont be able to truly drop the weight on ure chest... ure TRICEPS and BACK pick the weight up the weight up the first 3 inches.. I know because ive been through all this... and when I got strong enough to chest that weight.. I was able to muscle that busa around in any scenario... I got to the point I could do 345 but that took a year... 250 is feasible with enough tricep work.. and back work.. going from a 250 bench to 345 for me was almost NO chest work.. it was ALL triceps and back... I use bench as an example because free weight flat chest benching... there is no way to CHEAT that excersize.

I guess u could trhow in squattin excersizes or dead lifting.. but I always squatted a lot of weight.. so I didn't ever work on it... OP should see where he is weak and work on that area.. but beware... the bench doesn't lie.

Lol, I’m not here to debate how STRONG you are. I never debated that being stonger was against you. This was a discussion about chest vs back at picking up a layed over motorcycle. I REALLY understand how passionate you are about building up your TRICEPS and BACK, that is very clear. NO, I can not bench 200lb., yet can pick up as much as you can off the ground, it’s ALL in the back. There’s no way to CHEAT science.

well... it happened.. ive been riding 20 years almost... and if u can chest 250 lbs... ure back is sufficiently strong.. u wont put up over 250 without a decent back... try it... bench isn't only chest.. a lot of back and triceps to actually drop the weight right on ure chest and get it off... I'm just trying to give a person some help based off things ive went through...

I must agree. I'm pretty sure I can't bench 250 but I had no problem picking up my busa both times it fell. ..well it wasn't exactly light but I don't think I even grunted. I wouldn't even worry about lifting it if you can bench 180-200 one rep (which is probably what I can do). Can you deadlift a couple hundred pounds a few times. If you can, a busa will not be much trouble. I would worry more about the damage to the bike than whether or not you can lift the bike. I avoid dropping whenever possible even though I know I can lift it!

I must agree. I'm pretty sure I can't bench 250 but I had no problem picking up my busa both times it fell. ..well it wasn't exactly light but I don't think I even grunted. I wouldn't even worry about lifting it if you can bench 180-200 one rep (which is probably what I can do). Can you deadlift a couple hundred pounds a few times. If you can, a busa will not be much trouble. I would worry more about the damage to the bike than whether or not you can lift the bike. I avoid dropping whenever possible even though I know I can lift it!
thank you.... and if the OP is looking for GREAT tri/chest workout.. here is one of the best.... his triceps workouts are second to none...

Lol, I’m not here to debate how STRONG you are. I never debated that being stonger was against you. This was a discussion about chest vs back at picking up a layed over motorcycle. I REALLY understand how passionate you are about building up your TRICEPS and BACK, that is very clear. NO, I can not bench 200lb., yet can pick up as much as you can off the ground, it’s ALL in the back. There’s no way to CHEAT science.
and u NEED a very strong back to bench 250.. chest tri and back... all work together.

I don't want this guy to sell his busa cause hes a little scared of it.. its a very powerful bike for a newbie... PLUS its heavy.. we all tend to forget this I think because we are all soooo used to it... ya know? I just wanna help him get his confidence up... I think hes terrified of dropping it.... so I suggested sliders... and a little strength training... he could do it in his home with some dumbells,.. one barbell and a cheap flat bench...

True that, I just didn’t want him thinking because your not some strong lifting guy, you couldn’t handle the busa. I agree that he is afraid of dropping it. Strength training would help tremendously and so would practiceing daily to build confidence and feel. The OP will need to do multiple things to increase his busas riding ability.

I don't want this guy to sell his busa cause hes a little scared of it.. its a very powerful bike for a newbie... PLUS its heavy.. we all tend to forget this I think because we are all soooo used to it... ya know? I just wanna help him get his confidence up... I think hes terrified of dropping it.... so I suggested sliders... and a little strength training... he could do it in his home with some dumbells,.. one barbell and a cheap flat bench...

Geebus Cripes, lighten up Francis. The OP just asked a question that has already been answered...sheesh!

Hi everyone, I'm a relatively new Busa owner. Purchased a used bike earlier this year and have put close to 10k miles on it.

At this point, I am fairly comfortable with commuting/touring on my Busa. However, when using the bike in a parking lot or at very slow speeds (< 10 mph), I am constantly nervous. I feel the weight of the bike and sense that it "wants" to tip over. Also, I am not happy with my slow speed turn radius and feel that, compared to other sportbikes, it is too large. Often, I have to stop, duck-walk backwards, and re-attempt in order to complete a tight 180 degree slow speed turn, which bothers me a lot!

I have tried to remedy this problem by months of regular nighttime parking lot practice.: trying A/B/C modes, feathering the clutch, NOT feathering the clutch, riding the back break, etc. Although I have somewhat improved, I am nowhere near where I want be.

Yesterday I sat on a new R1, and man, it felt so good. Bike was so light and nimble. I am sensing that, despite its many many great pluses, the weight of the Busa is getting to
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated
Hi Mark61 If you are still reading your post? How long have you been riding? If you have not taken a riding course take one! They also have more advanced courses too.

I once yanked my Busa off a lift right into my lap! Darn thread lock. Only problem was a nasty bruise where the rearset tried to poke through my kidney. Last time I lifted a weight was 1998. Only thing I lift regularly since is a fork. It's amazing what ignorance and adrenaline can do!

untitled.png

Those wide bars are an excellent addition , like C10's very well ridden and set up Busa , if I go naked Busa next , I am puting on superbike fatbars . Also I dropped my Busa inside my house not long ago , and it sort of landed on my lower legs and feet , then fully on the floor . At first when I went to lift her off the floor , she slid on body work on the slippery wood floor , so I grabbed the front brake and dug the tire in and picked her up with my left fused wrist . Sort of had to because every bastard I know was either working or busy somewhere , and dogboy was just watching his stupid ass dad ! . I am natural south paw and pretty ambidextrous because of injuries , so no worries about the heft really .

Well your chest picks up a bench press, your back picks up a bike...

Never lift with the back! The back performs pulling motions thus, you would be facing the bike and pulling it up off of the ground with the back muscles. That does lift a huge weight with the back and that motion would lead to the very back brace you talk about. How do those police lift their bikes? Not with the back! Their back is to the bike and the legs extend and push the bike up.

You guys talk about strength training and lifting over 250 lbs with a strong back but relatively small weak people should raise 600 lb+ bikes with the leg muscles, and not come anywhere near a 250 bench press or back row. (Ask me how I would know about being weak.)

How much do you think this woman with model proportions can bench or row?

Back