After 10k Miles, Still Struggling With Low Speed Maneuvers; Please Help!

Mark61

Registered
Hi everyone, I'm a relatively new Busa owner. Purchased a used bike earlier this year and have put close to 10k miles on it.

At this point, I am fairly comfortable with commuting/touring on my Busa. However, when using the bike in a parking lot or at very slow speeds (< 10 mph), I am constantly nervous. I feel the weight of the bike and sense that it "wants" to tip over. Also, I am not happy with my slow speed turn radius and feel that, compared to other sportbikes, it is too large. Often, I have to stop, duck-walk backwards, and re-attempt in order to complete a tight 180 degree slow speed turn, which bothers me a lot!

I have tried to remedy this problem by months of regular nighttime parking lot practice.: trying A/B/C modes, feathering the clutch, NOT feathering the clutch, riding the back break, etc. Although I have somewhat improved, I am nowhere near where I want be.

Yesterday I sat on a new R1, and man, it felt so good. Bike was so light and nimble. I am sensing that, despite its many many great pluses, the weight of the Busa is getting to me.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Reactions: Zee
#1, and the only thing you need to know.
It IS all in your head.
Yes, it's a heavy bike.
You can literally drag the bottoms of the stock mufflers, and still stay upright, even though dragging hard parts is asking for trouble.
You're choices are,
Ignore the weight, strength training, or buy a lighter bike with a shorter wheelbase.
Good luck, as the Busa Can do everything a lighter, smaller bike can.:beerchug:

Hi everyone,
I'm a relatively new Hayabusa owner .

Purchased a used bike earlier this year and have put close to 10 k miles on it .

At this point, I am fairly comfortable with commuting/touring on my Hayabusa .

However, when using the bike in a parking lot or at very slow speeds (< 10 mph), I am constantly nervous .

I feel the weight of the bike and sense that it "wants" to tip over .

Also,
I am not happy with my slow speed turn radius and feel that,
compared to other sport bikes, it is too large .

Often, I have to stop, duck-walk backwards,
and re-attempt in order to complete a tight 180 degree slow speed turn,
which bothers me a lot !

I have tried to remedy this problem by months of regular nighttime parking lot practice .

Trying A/B/C modes,
feathering the clutch,
NOT feathering the clutch,
riding the back brake, etc .

Although I have somewhat improved,
I am nowhere near where I want be .

Yesterday I sat on a new R1,
and man, it felt so good .

Bike was so light and nimble .

I am sensing that,
despite its many many great pluses,
the weight of the Hayabusa is getting to me.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated .

Red
find the video of the white Busa knee dragging in a parking lot, and in and out of cones. I know you know the one.
This man needs to see what the Busa can do to ease his mind.
If that doesn't do it, he just needs a lighter bike, which there is no shame in.

Danggit! I thought I was going to beat Redbull - had that one tagged too. Many sport bikes have very poor low speed manners. Busa is heavy but taking your time is the key. Only way to shorten the turn radius is to lean the bike, which I don't recommend when you are going slow. You might try riding slow in second gear, that makes the bike smoother.

This is nothing to do with the busa. OP its you and your lack of skill. I am not trying to be rude, but thats what it is. A/B/C/ modes has 0 to do with it. Your afraid of the throttle and timid of your skills.

That being said, practice does make perfect as the vid above prooves.

This is nothing to do with the Hayabusa .

OP it's you and your lack of skill .

I am not trying to be rude,
but that's what it is .

A/B/C/ modes has 0 to do with it .

Your afraid of the throttle and timid of your skills .

That being said,
practice does make perfect
as the video above proves .

Glad you said it Art ~ please know that we care *

giphy.gif

And never BAD talk our BIG Hayabusa *

When riding at low speeds do you "feather" the clutch?

It's a wet clutch, at low speeds when you aren't passing much torque through it, slipping it when going very slow doesn't hurt it at all.

Dang it !

I thought I was going to beat Red - had that one tagged too .

Many sport bikes have very poor low speed manners .

Hayabusa is heavy but taking your time is the key .

Only way to shorten the turn radius is to lean the bike,
which I don't recommend when you are going slow .

You might try riding slow in second gear,
that makes the bike smoother .

Some people can hardly ride a bicycle, my wife for one, but I still love her and she can ride with me anytime.

Are you able to flat foot it? If not, that will make it feel awkward to maneuver at slow speeds. It's nimble enough, just need that comfort level.

Edit, sorry, at a band concert and not getting the full thought out - meant if you're having to turn it around, pushing it in the lot. Reading again, slow speed maneuvering is just seat time. Give it time, it'll come...

Last edited:
I appreciate the video link. I have actually seen it before. I am not blaming the motorcycle at all, which is what some might have thought. I am merely frustrated at my lack of significant progression despite constant practice. But thanks anyways

The guy in the video is riding the Busa that way, as many of us can.
Please, tell me, why is it you cannot?
I'll tell you why; you are worried about dropping it.
And, guess what happens if you do?
Maybe you get a bruise.
The Busa will get some scratches.
Who cares? .....You do.
Do you know how many bikes and Busas are scratched and dinged up from low speed tip overs and kickstand crashes? Alot!
Do you know if that happens you will join the ranks of 99% of us riding. The guy that laughs at your crash has never been there, or is a smartass like me, who has....which gives me all authority to laugh, lol!
It sounds like you are trying too hard. Let it go.
The only part of a sportbike you should ever see when riding, is gages, if you look down. Otherwise, eyes ahead. You just will the bike where you want it to go. Little by little, push yourself a little harder.
Slow speed, low risk.
Make sure your tire pressure is good
36/36psi front/rear hot is perfect.
Have suspension sag set.
Most of all....have fun! You're frustration is only hindering your progress.
It will come if you relax.
If you feel you need a physically smaller bike, fine, no shame in that.
My last 2 bikes were a Bking, and a gen2 Busa. Fat pigs. I could make them do whatever I wanted them to. But, guess what, I'm tired of heavy bikes too, and I want another 1k. Regardless what you choose, don't overthink it. Progress comes from seat time. Once your frustrated, it's time for a break.
You said yourself you have made progress.
Stick with it. Don't let it beat you.
What you can do on one bike, you can pretty much do on any, within the machine's limits.
The Busa will do what you want it to.
No worries.
And, if you do get the R1, don't leave the org. Officially, this is a Busa site, but really, it's like minded guys(and girls)on motorcycles.
We don't care what you ride, heck, I don't even own a bike right now, and you think you're frustrated, lol.

image.jpeg
I also noticed mine has a wide turning radius but only when I'm trying to move it around in my driveway. On the road I don't notice it. I thoroughly enjoy the longer wheelbase. It's one of the reasons the Busa is s t a b l e at a buck fifty on up. You'll get to know the Hayabusa quicker if you're in the saddle for say, 350-450 miles a day for 3-4 days in a row (or more). Plan a circular route somewhere that would take 3-4 days to complete, with some long straights and some nice corners. High speed sweepers are just what the Busa likes most.

Back