After 10k Miles, Still Struggling With Low Speed Maneuvers; Please Help!

Less typing and more of this.....

db91a898bf894c35c4688fad20a00522.gif

It really is seat time, and the more time you spend in traffic, having to deal with stop lights and parking lots, the more comfy you'll get. I recall in the beginning, dreading the slow downs, going from an 883 Sportster to the Busa. The weight was the same on each, but the center of gravity and the difference in how they felt was vast. The more I put myself in situations I dreaded, the better it got.

It really is just seat time and becomes muscle memory. Eventually you won't even think about it.

lower the bike... front and rear... lift some weights.. eat something... pretend the bike is hitting on ure wife right in front of u... don't be afraid.. so what if u do tip over? lowering the bike makes more power more manageable.. so I gotta figure that having more weight down low makes it FEEL different.. but u still gotta master the bike.... if u drop the bike on the ground.. are u physically capable of picking it up? can u bench more than 250? all these things help...

lower the bike... front and rear... lift some weights.. eat something... pretend the bike is hitting on ure wife right in front of u... don't be afraid.. so what if u do tip over? lowering the bike makes more power more manageable.. so I gotta figure that having more weight down low makes it FEEL different.. but u still gotta master the bike.... if u drop the bike on the ground.. are u physically capable of picking it up? can u bench more than 250? all these things help...

Lowering is only good for drag racing, LSR.
The cornering ability is less.

Learn to slip the clutch and use the rear brake to stabilize the bike at low speed. This helps out a lot.

A kind of ok video on low speed control. There are a bunch of videos like this on youtube. Practice practice practice.

High speed sweepers are just what the Busa likes most.
I'm glad it handles as well for what it was built for. I don't spend a lot of time riding fast in parking lots. I only use them for parking so I don't mind if I have to back up and turn a second time. That's only if it's in a tight spot. It turns sharper than a car and that's good enough for me. The ZX-14 is noticeably worse IMO and I have reduced its weight by at least 60 lbs.

Has the suspension been modified? Changing the geometry by raising the rear/lowering the front excessively can make the bike unstable where it will fall over when turning. This may not be a typical change for the Busa but is common in other sport bikes so I thought I would mention it.

Are the tires, particularly the rear, squared off from many straight line miles (or I guess burnouts)? When leaned, as soon as the bike rolls past the square edge it will fall over. Replace tires to fix.

he might be a short guy... and hes up on his tippy toes,,, if it was lower.. it would FEEL smaller.. hence he could push his limits more

He may feel like he could push the limits more, but the bike itself would then limit him.

Where is 5'1" C10 at??
He can make his stock height Busa do whatever he wants it to.

Short legs and a Busa only really hinders walking the bike backwards when seated on it. So walk beside it if that's a problem.
:beerchug:

Anyone know what kind of bellypan that busa has? Stop the video at 3 seconds and it has vents on the side it looks like.

Edit: Talking about the Jap guy riding not sure why it quoted the stunt video.

I have really short legs for a 6 footer. My backup routine is push back on the toes and then grab the brake so it doesn't roll forward. Push back, brake, push back, brake, etc. Also backup in neutral. Just pulling in the clutch has more resistance. Sometimes I lean the bike a little so I can get a flat foot on the ground. Makes the bike a little heavier to the leaning side but more foot traction. Counter steering works at slow speeds to. Turn the bars to the right and the bike will fall over to the left (that's how that self balancing Honda works). The last thing I do at a stop light is dip the bars opposite of the foot I plan to put down. All of us guys with short legs have amazing clutch control too. Other than that, all I can say is man up, Lol!

He may feel like he could push the limits more, but the bike itself would then limit him.

Where is 5'1" C10 at??
He can make his stock height Busa do whatever he wants it to.

Short legs and a Busa only really hinders walking the bike backwards when seated on it. So walk beside it if that's a problem.
:beerchug:
well... hes scared of the bike... probably hasn't had many bikes... if its a little lower he could muscle it around more... bottom line is.. PUT SOME SLIDERS on it,,, lower it... its a great mod anyway.. unless ure into hardcore track racing. or pushing limits on the street... sliders/lower it.. ride the hell outta the bike... read about technique.. ride/ ride/ ride harder...seat time and patience...

and I don't care what anyone says.... a person SHOULD be able to lay the busa on its side on the ground... and be physically able to pick it up.... the hell with the special technique... u should be able to muscle it upright again.

I put a motorcycle in the woods when I was 17 and had to walk into the woods as far as the bike went it... find my footing.. and drag a 1981 Honda cb900f outta the shrubbery.. fun times.. but I got it done... that's why I say its a good idea to be able to muscle a bike up from laying on its side... and it gives a person confidence to know that one CAN pick the bike up,.

Lol I can’t bench 250 but can pick that Busas fat butt up in no time. It’s all about leverage!:D
all well and good.. but ive had to drag a bike outta the woods before... nobody is around,,, PLUS.. ure standing in the woods... no great place to use all those special technique

Well your chest picks up a bench press, your back picks up a bike so I don’t know why your chest strength matters. A dirt bike in the woods is completely different than a busa on pavement. Tx law enforcement must be able to pick up a 900ib Harley 100 times to get there motorcycle endorsement. If you muscle up 900ib that many times without leverage or technique as you say you’ll be 60 and have a back brace!

well... it happened.. ive been riding 20 years almost... and if u can chest 250 lbs... ure back is sufficiently strong.. u wont put up over 250 without a decent back... try it... bench isn't only chest.. a lot of back and triceps to actually drop the weight right on ure chest and get it off... I'm just trying to give a person some help based off things ive went through...

Back