Introduction and Question

dvdt

Registered
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and ask a couple of questions. I do not own a busa yet, although I will after another year of riding experience or when I think I am ready, i.e. more than a year. I bought a Suzuki DL650 in April as my first ever motorcycle, never ridden one before. Needless to say at 44 years of age just getting it out of the driveway was a challenge for my nerves. I didn't even know how to shift the thing. Since then I have taken the MSF course and have done two 600 mile days on a trip from Tulsa, Oklahoma to Cedar Rapids, Iowa to see my parents and back. 300- 400 mile days seem like a cake walk now. I still have lots to learn. I have several books including "Proficient Motorcycling", and I'm just taking it one step at a time.

Now to the questions: I have read that the busa is hard to handle at slow speeds and I'm wondering just how true that is. My bike is quite top heavy, but I practice those figure 8's in a parking lot from time to time and don't seem to have a bit of a problem handling my bike. In fact, I feel quite confident in my slow speed skills with my bike. I keep saying my bike because I have no idea how a bike like the busa handles. How does it handle at slow speeds relative to a bike such as mine? Secondly I have tried to search on this topic but I consistently get the error below from the server. This happens not only from my computer at home but also from the one at work. Is there a server problem?

Lots of good information here and as I said it's just a matter of time before I own a busa.

Thanks,
Steve

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Web Server at hayabusa.org

First, Welcome the the board!
beerchug.gif
Glad to have you here.

Next, I have never ridden a V-Strom but the 'Busa is about 45 lbs heavier. Heavier bikes tend to be harder to handle at slow speeds than lighter bikes (all else being equal). I noticed (Suzuki web site) that the V-Strom has a taller seat height. Taller bikes can make slow speed riding more difficult than lower bikes. Of course, if the suspension is softer the seat height difference might be negligible. The V-Strom looks a little narrower than the Busa too. The bottom line is that the Busa will probably be somewhat more difficult to handle in a parking lot but nothing that you should be worried about. You just need to practice the slow speed riding in a parking lot until you are comfortable with the bike (just like you did with the V-Strom). No big deal.
smile.gif

Last, yeah, I get the search errors too on occasion. I believe it is related to the number of users on the site at one time. Try reducing the search to just the forums you think the answer to your question might be found (you can use the CTRL key to select mulitple forums). Look at the "Search from" area and try a more recent time then expand it if you don't find an answer.

This is a great place. You will like it here.

Oh, BTW, we expect some pictures of your bike (doesn't matter that it isn't a 'Busa). So, post up those pic's!
smile.gif

smile.gif

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
to the best bike site on the net. Let me begin by saying congratulations on have the maturity(not a jab at your age) to start off the right way riding a bike.
beerchug.gif
A smaller bike and the MSF course should be how everyone has to start.
After a while go back and take the advanced course as well.

The Busa in my opinion handles as well as a lot of smaller bikes at low speeds and better than most "cruiser" style bikes of any size at any speed. When you feel ready go a get one and I promise you will not regret it.

Ride safe and have fun!

It's not the bike, it's the rider. You're new at it so it would take time to learn how to run it at slow speeds (but why would you want to?
biggrin.gif
).

Also, the configuration of the bike matters, how you're positioned, etc. etc.

I can ride my Busa at low speeds all week long but can't do it on my wife's Gixxer 1000 and it's 150 lbs lighter. I just haven't put enough saddle time into her bike.

It's like anything else. It just takes time to learn it.

Welcome aboard and have some fun!

--Wag--

and my Busa handles only slightly worst than my Ducati 998 at slow speeds, unless it's just been top off with gas. But that's no BIG DEAL either
jump9.gif

I don't think you would have any problems with a 'Busa. Just take your time to get used to it and always respect it. Respect any motorcycle but especially the 'Busa.

Welcome to the board, even though you don't have a busa you should still post some pics. Everyone else has hit the nail on the head, slow handling is not a problem, just have to get used to it.

I dont have much problem with the busa at low speeds.Its different but then all bikes are different.Its not much heavier than the 600 Kat i had just wider.(its still easier to handle around town than a cruser)

by the way welcome
super.gif

It is more work, but you can still do the same " MSF figure 8s". In the same size box as done on the 125-250cc bikes.

Welcome! The Busa' is an awesome bike with more power than you will ever need! It's just going to take you some time to learn, but always respect her!

Thanks for the great welcome.

As I said, I will be getting a Busa hopefully not too far in the future. There really isn't anything like the adventure in motorcycling. I really can't shut up about it, and as a show of appreciation someone at work changed the name plate on my cube to Suzuki Steve. I left it that way with pride.

I'm sure you have all heard the saying, only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. After reading that several months ago, I smile evertime I see a dog with his head out the window. Below is a pic of my current ride.

Thanks,
Steve

DownStreamDam1.jpg

(dvdt @ Aug. 29 2007,22:43) I'm sure you have all heard the saying, only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. After reading that several months ago, I smile evertime I see a dog with his head out the window. Below is a pic of my current ride.

Thanks,
Steve
Welcome to our world!
beerchug.gif

Welcome to the board Steve. You are not far from me, hailing from Broken Arrow. Anyway, I have been riding for 19 years, and my first Busa is not my first bike. I will tell you that no matter what bike you get next, it will take saddle time to learn how the bike handles, clutch feel, throttle response, balance, turning radius, etc. I have had my Busa for a total of 2 days now, and it will take me some time get comfortable(not complacent) on this bad boy. Again, welcome.

Welcome aboard!
I have no problems with the Busa at low speeds. Just takes some practice. I wouldn't let that affect your decision in any way.
I like the Vstrom. I always said that if I got a second bike, that would be it.
beerchug.gif

Back