Accident

I FEEL VARY SORRY FOR THE PEOPLE INVOLVED, AND WISH THEM THE BEST!

I BUST ON MOST OF YOU GUYS AND GALS BECAUSE I CAN RIDE YEAR ROUND DOWN HERE, THE ONLY BAD THING ABOUT RIDING YEAR ROUND IS THERE IS ALWAYS SOME SORT OF ACCIDENT, I JUST HAD TO SEND A NOTORIZED LETTER TO COURT ABOUT AN ACCIDENT I WITNESSED RIDING HOME WITH MY WIFE ONE NIGHT WHERE A GUY DROVE RIGHT INTO A WOMAN WHO WAS RIDING NEXT TO HER BOYFRIEND. I CAN'T AFFORD TO TAKE OFF OF WORK TO GO,BUT I WISH I COULD BECAUSE THIS GUY IS TRYING TO FIGHT A CARELES DRIVING TICKET. I'M SURE HE'S FIGHTING THIS SO HE CAN TRY TO AVOID A LAWSUIT.:angry:

Falling asleep at the wheel is STILL irresponsible.  Why?  Because it could kill somebody, that's why.  I'm not perfect, and yes there's a very slim possiblity I could fall asleep at the wheel....hmmm... well, no there isn't cuz I think ahead and plan around stuff like that.
Sorry, I'm kind of opinionated and tired of people hiding behind Political Correctness and not speaking up for reality.  If I did something horribly bad, yeah, it would suck, but I would EXPECT proper punishment via our laws.

I'm very curious to see how this turns out.  Please keep posting updates here, m'kay?
Who you mad at man? I think we all agree, (at least I do), that people should be accountable for their mistakes. However, there is a difference between negligence and an accident. One is much worse than the other.

I don't care how good you are. Any one of us could make a mistake, and have an accident. That is why they are called accidents. This applies to driving, riding or running down the street. It also applies to people of all ages.

Now drinking and driving, or falling asleep after partying all night would be negligent, and in my book, much worse.

It's a great headline . "Car hits 7 motorcyclists".

Why do we/us/bikers/motorcyclists...get so up-in-arms when we see this kind of news . No one freaks out when a car crosses the center line an' takes out a mom and her mini-van full of kids .Then...it's just called a "Car Accident". Motorcyclists seem to take it so personally when cars hit us . You could get hit when yer in yer car or when yer on yer bike . But when we're on two wheels its suppossed to mean SO MUCH MORE . WHY ? Why is that.
Nobody told us to go out and ride that day , or any day for that matter. CAGES....
I love that term . Everybody is down on the cages . How many board members here drive a CAGE . I'm gonna take a guess...99.9 % . Sure , the cage drivers are paying significantly less attention to the road than the average biker.
Why? because they can . A biker rides , thats all he doin(for the most part)...the cage opperators...they're adjusting the cd player,talkin' on the cell phone,reading,eating,drinking,smoking,playing with themselves,etc etc etc . Because as a society,we condone most of those activities.
SORRY,I wandered for a bit....point there...nobody freaks out when a cage hits the school bus . But when a cage hits the guys/gals on motorcycles its supposed to mean more ? Why is that ? We are all out there , theorhetically SHARING the road . The problem, we are not able to physically deal with the bumps an' grinds that commonly go along with SHARING THE ROAD . There's a bumper sticker out there , quite prevalant amougnst the "Harley Crowd"...it reads , "Kill a Biker,Go To Jail" . Why is that , the guy/gal on the motorcycle is, of his own vallition, out sharing the road . Why should the cage operator be judged more harshly just because the mistake he/she made involved someone who chose to share the roadway INADEQUATELY protected.
Lets face it people . We head out there...into CAGE-LAND wearing leather, sometimes...(those idiots that dont we can talk about later) and we hope to survive the encounter . Are you starting to see the picture yet . Let me put it to you this way....there are a lot of professional motor cycle riders out there(the boys on the circuit) , that , when asked , what kind of bike do you ride on the street , the answer is more often than not : " I dont ride on the street because its too dangerous" . These guys will ride a circuit hitting speeds 150-200 mph , but they wont chance riding their own neighbourhood cul-de-sac . There's a reason they don't chance it .
Car vs bike = bike loses

Bus,dumptruck,4x4,semi,truck,mini-van,car(compact,mid-sized,luxury) , SUV ,motorhome....yadda yadda yadda .
BIKE LOSES .

Bottom line....we constantly tell each other to "Ride Safe"
even my own site name...RubberSideDown...is wishfull thinking at best . There is really no way to ride safe out there . Look up an down yer street , whats in the other driveways . Cars,trucks,vans . They're surounded by layers of steel . Us, layers of leather , and some of us are too stupid to even bother with that.

EVERYBODY IS IN A HURRY . Daycare,work,shopping,appointments. if yer lucky , they'll see you.

That is if they're not......FAST asleep . (Get it)

The use of seatbelts is mandatory in my part of the world.

Thats so that when we strike a motorcyclist we're not thrown into the windshield.Sorry...bad joke . It's odd isn't it . Legislation tells us that you will be fined if you dont wear a seatbelt , and yet a 16 year old kid can go buy a vehicle capable of 186 MPH.

GROUP OF SEVEN......famous artworks....

GROUP OF SEVEN motorcyclists....famous...for about a day.

Someone mentioned earlier that : there's a difference between an accident and negligence...I agree...there is a difference ,that difference...how much you spend on the lawyer.

Is there really such a thing as an accident...or can it always be attributted to something . This case forinstance. The kid fell asleep . Isnt that outright stupidity .
The kid thinks to himself : "Gee, I'm real fuggin' tired,but what the heck, I'll drive anyway , after all...I'll be fairly safe seatbelted in my cage".
"My car needed new tires,should have got some"
"I should never have been talking on the cell phone"
"I wasn't paying attention"
"I didnt see them"
"I fell asleep"
"I was ACCIDENTLY speeding"

They're all lame excuses . Society wants to call them ...ACCIDENTS.

My wife and I constantly say to each other...

WHEN IS STUPIDITY GOING TO BECOME A CRIME .

have a good 1.....RSD.

I just seen this accident on the NEWS... They said that the car went into the other lane and hit one motorcycle. That motorcycle apparently got stuck in the front left wheel well and caused the car to turn left into the rest of the motorcycle group.

They said the cops are still investigating what caused the car to go left of center.... WELL!!!?!?  Just like RSD said, he was either sleeping, talkin' on cell phone, playn' with his self etc. etc. etc....  He should have been paying more attention just like us bikers do when we ride and this wouldnt have happen and although accidents do happen, this one could have been prevented...  That is the way I feel anyway..  

By the way, Captain, how did you hear about all of this from Oklahoma?

GAWD, for a second there, I thought I was dreaming but really in a coma.................... (joke.. Kash - cache - nevermind)

It could have been any of us on the way to or back from Laguna....

It only takes one Ahole having a bad day, or a bad Blood Sugar level to cross a median and take out several cars/ multiple M/C's...................

sad. such is life when machines and human involvement becomes the determining factor. - enough.

VERY well put RSD!!!!

I feel the difference tween car accidents and cycle accidents are similar to car VS pedestrian.  It's horrible when a car hits PEOPLE on the side of the road or crossing the road because the people [or cyclist] is WAY less protected than another car.  I would never down play ANY kind of accident, as they ALL suck and people get hurt, but I feel cycle [and pedestrians] are usully worse off than car to car.  But nobody is wrong here... all opinions and feelings are valid and I'm glad people share them.  Makes everyone see everything from others perspectives.  :D  I believe in undeniable/universally understood 'right' and 'wrong' so if I kill someone ACCIDENTALLY while driving my car, I should suffer the proper laws punishment for my mistake.  It's my free choice to NOT drive, thus removing that potential accident from existing. People in cars are getting way to lazy. you don't see fighter pilots adjusting CD's and sight seeing while flying their dangerous vehicles.

Now, don't get me started on that barking dog at 5am....   ;)

say... WHAT IF that cyclist has crashed into that car CAUSING it to swerve into the oncoming traffic??   Oooooh!  There be a tough one.... [devils advocate only folks]

if stupid was a crime there would be lot less people on the road

i could count at least 30+ stupid people on the way to work every day sad to think some of the so called educated people out there and no common sense

need a course in school
common sense for Dummies :mad:

Lots of valid points can be taken from this thread.
I agree with RSD in everything he wrote, particularly in the way bikers are protected, that everybody is always in a hurry and prone (spelling) to accidents, and that we ride because we chose to.
WWJD added that pedestrians are even lesser protected than bikers and people in cars are getting lazy, doing stuff they shouldn't be doing while driving. In his words: "you don't see fighter pilots adjusting CD's and sight seeing while flying their dangerous vehicles". I couldn't agree more.
JACE talked about stupid people and common sense for dummies which is something that makes me start talking. I really hate stupidity! Specially my own, but that's for another thread.
Many other said other important stuff too, but these examples are the ones that touched me deeper.

What can we do about this? This is the world we live in. Be it in Europe, States or Asia, it seems the roads are the same everywhere. Full of cages with inapt people doing stuff they shouldn't be doing while driving. The police can't be everywhere and even when they are, some chose to look the other way many times. Sometimes we like that they act like this, e.g. when we are speeding or missing some paper that should be with us, etc... If we could do more stuff while riding, probably we would be changing CDs too, or eating breakfast while going to work...

awwwwwoooch...
Men, that's terrible news. Hope all other motorcyclists are ok and the ones in more critical state can survive this awful accident.
S7R4NGER, like myself is Portuguese, and we both know the meaning of "danger". Portugal is the country in European Community where most people get killed in the roads... But i don't remember such awful accident with motorcycles like this one...
Really hope they recover soon.

S7R4NGER: lately I been doing this to cagers while stopped waiting at a light:

1. point at cage driver on cell phone to get their attention
2. hold thumb and pinky in phone shape up to helmet
3. slam hand phone down like I'm hanging it up
4. put fingers at my eyes like, "L00K"
5. point and wave hand forward represnting the road ahead of us

Sounds rude, but if it works ONLY ONCE, I might have saved someone's life. More then 50% percent of women I pass on the road are talking on a phone. No offense ladies, just quoting my personal stats. I also do my part to be an attentive cager. It all begins with each of us.

...My wife and I constantly say to each other...

WHEN IS STUPIDITY GOING TO BECOME A CRIME . ...
I agree very much with many of your points, however...

We're all up in arms because we ride motorcycles, and in the pursuit of that shared interest we encounter a remarkable number of -- well -- "confused" motorists. I think that bikers as a rule are still in a lot of denial about the cluelessness of the average driver, however, and that tends to make them unusually upset when something goes wrong.

As a result, we do get a little hyper. I suppose the business-like approach would be better, considering we've all chosen this lifestyle with probably a decent awareness of its risks. However, faith in one's fellow citizens' capacity for good judgement is sometimes a hard habit to break. I'd say I've almost shaken it, after the last couple of federal elections.

So, yeah, the minigun with the helmet-tracking mount is really the only way to go :tounge: .

Sad story to say the least. I don't care which side your on. Just sad!

Marc "Howlin Mad" :sad: :sad:

Anything new on this? I signed up for Google's free news email alerts but so far nothing.

Back