A motorcycle shop owner who has both a 14 n a busa

umairhashmi

Registered
I found out the guy who is considered the "EXPERT AUTHORITY" on sportbike performance in south florida has a busa as well as a zx14.Most people who live in the miami and fort lauderdale area have heard of his shop called cyclerace tek.
His unbiased opinion about the busa vs the 14 is as follows.Ray if you read this i HAD to steal it and post this here.With the busa owners bashing the 14 and vice versa its good to see an expert offer his unbiased opinion.
OK ALL...HERE IS THE STRAIGHT POOP WITH NO PREJUDICE OR BIAS....
I own BOTH skoots,and my shop probably works on more Busas and 14'S than any other,so my impressions are based on many many Busas and a few 14's ,including my own.
The 14 is an all-around better skoot than the Busa for a few main reasons.
#1...Kawi has intergrated many of the newer technologies into the 14..the Busa has remained mostly unchanged form it's 1999 spec,which says alot for it's popularity and how good the original platform was to start with.The
advantages in the advances made by the manufacturors give the 14 an edge over the Busa in engine performance,handling and most noticable,in the braking department.The front brakes are truly awesome.and u would have to spend$$$$ on the Busas front binders to achieve the same level of power and feel the 14 comes with stock.

#2...The combination of changes kawi made to arrive at the 14's engine structure has allowed the 14 to tower over over a Busa in tork and H.P. On some 14's with pipe/pc/filter we have seen as much peak H.P. as a Busa with aftermarket performance cams,but with also a much broader and better tork curve..it is simply a monster of a motor that goes beyond its 54cc dispacement advantage.It is also a much smoother runnin motor with less vibration overall. The one area that the 14 loses out to the Busa is gas mileage,a problem even with the old ZX12's. But i and i bet most peeps don't ride with an emphasis on gas mioleage,and the performance advantage more than makes up for the fact the 14 can suck gas.

#3...Kawi worked on developing a better balanced chassis,and with some of the fuel tank and fuel load under the rider's seat,the bike feels like it has a much lower center of gravity,and handles that way.
My first ride on my 14 allowed me to very quickly feel and experience how the 2 skoots differ,and although the 14 is not a Busa "killer" (the BUSA is not a skoot that would have ever been toppled easily ),it does exhibit advantages that ,in my opinion,Suzuki has a target to beat.
I am sure that any re-design of the Busa will incorparate,and will have to, all of the new technologies that Kawi had available in designing the 14.
I still think my Busa will always be my favorite skoot,tho lately i have been ridin the 14 alot,and it is a phenominal skoot and grows on me every ride.
Cosmetically the Busa has been accepted for it looks,and is a natural when slammed and stretched.When the Busa came out in 99,we were all scratching our heads tryin to figure out what was up with that front end,and the same thing has happened with the 14.I did not like the 14 when i saw it in tha mags,and didn't like it when i saw the first one in person,but i have grown to like it's looks .It is true,beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
One thing is for sure,the Busa is a legend in it's own time,and that my folks will always have it at the top regardless!!
RACNRAY

Thanks for sharing. As he points out, the 8 years of technology are bound to make a difference, and in his opinion, it does. My Busa, as I have it set up, is plenty enough bike for me, and I haven't commited to the '08 Busa, especially since we don't know what it is yet. All said, I'm betting the Busa is back on top here in a month or so
smile.gif

(Red05 @ May 14 2007,15:24) Thanks for sharing. As he points out, the 8 years of technology are bound to make a difference, and in his opinion, it does. My Busa, as I have it set up, is plenty enough bike for me, and I haven't commited to the '08 Busa, especially since we don't know what it is yet. All said, I'm betting the Busa is back on top here in a month or so  
smile.gif
The reason i posted this man's opinion is because he is THE performance authority guy in the south florida area.If you have any kind of a sportbike and want to squeeze the most performance out of it then his shop is where you take it to.
So yes you will find many peoples opinions on the busa vs 14 issue but not many of them are knowledgeable enough to really know the difference imo.Take me for example i probably wouldnt be able to squeeze the most performance out of either bike if i tried my best simply because i dont have those yrs and yrs of experience.

Understood. If I worded my reply wrong, I'm sorry. I tend to agree, without having ridden a 14, that Kawi should be able to top an 8 year old design. My guess that Suzuki will quickly be on top again is based on Suzuki's success over the last decade or two.  
beerchug.gif

lurk.gif

all_coholic.gif
 I've rode the 14, and really don't agree with him EXCEPT on paper. The 14's guages and bars look and feel alot more forward to me than my Busa. And as far as the LOOKS  
SHOCKED.gif
, I still don't like the grills or the rear end. So, opinions are just that, opinions
wink.gif
! My opinion, the Busa is still the best. I noticed that he didn't mention the 14's cylinder block which I understand can't be honed for enlargement because of the way the cylinders and block is made. So, what's so great about the 14 over the Busa, well I think it's like my buddies 14, IF YOUR A KAWA-SAKI GUY, that's all that's needed. If not (like me) , the 14 isn't such a big deal  
beerchug.gif

besides that?..i've been hearing some bad poop rgarding the 14's having a nasty tendency to suck a valve on occassion...can't confirm it...just what i've read...and i believe h.org member gulcu has a turkish riding friend who owned a 14 that swallowed one of it's own valves...i'll stick with O-Ren..she's still insanely powered for the street for me leastways..but i ride like a puss!
laugh.gif

Looked at both a year ago with no brand or model loyalty.
Busa won hands down in the "bad ass" looks department.
The 14 has no integrity to flow. Stop and start design with dead ends and slammed transition areas. (what I call it anyway)

Will take my underpowered, braking challenged Busa any day.
I can get aftermarket parts whenever. The 14 will still be an ugly duckling tomorrow.....and the day after.

Just the opinion of a professional eye candy catcher.
beerchug.gif

(busa_bill @ May 14 2007,21:56) Looked at both a year ago with no brand or model loyalty.
Busa won hands down in the "bad ass" looks department.
The 14 has no integrity to flow. Stop and start design with dead ends and slammed transition areas. (what I call it anyway)

Will take my underpowered, braking challenged Busa any day.  
I can get aftermarket parts whenever. The 14 will still be an ugly duckling tomorrow.....and the day after.

Just the opinion of a professional eye candy catcher.  
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
Exactly, wouldnt trade my busa for a new 14 anyday, i like her the way she is and thats why i chose her. When it comes down to it ALL of this is about pure prefference and i preffer the busa. Besides, maybe i dont want to fly over the handlebars or get lurked forward everytime i touch them like on a lexus. Bottom line, for me anyways, is the busa has more than enough braking power for my style of driving why fix it if it aint broke? And to be honest, unless you track the busa you dont need huge brakes, ps. we all know the busa doesnt belong on the track anyways.
rant.gif

beerchug.gif

I always felt the 14 would spank the busa, but was shocked it wasn't by a larger margin. In a busa, you own a living legend. With a 14 you own the current Bike Of The Moment. I STILL don't see any at the road course race tracks, or out tearing up the back road twisties... what's up with that?

I know the 14 is a fine ride, and as always, if it's on two wheels, it's a friend.

I watched a 14 run a 8.43 this weekend. Air shifter, 6 inch arm, brock pipe, and a small progressive dry shot of gas. No tuning yet with the gas. I ran him in Street ET without gas and he was running 9.35s. He is a little guy, but don't discount the 14 too much. They run pretty danged good.

I like them both. I like the ZX-14 and the Busa. I was very close to getting a ZX-14 prior to the Busa. Dealer couldn't get one in time and I had the need for speed itch!

beerchug.gif

GPW's Bike I LOVE!! Thats what I would head towards if I was to get one.

(DaCol. @ May 14 2007,17:31)
lurk.gif

all_coholic.gif
 I've rode the 14, and really don't agree with him EXCEPT on paper. The 14's guages and bars look and feel alot more forward to me than my Busa. And as far as the LOOKS  
SHOCKED.gif
, I still don't like the grills or the rear end. So, opinions are just that, opinions
wink.gif
! My opinion, the Busa is still the best. I noticed that he didn't mention the 14's cylinder block which I understand can't be honed for enlargement because of the way the cylinders and block is made. So, what's so great about the 14 over the Busa, well I think it's like my buddies 14, IF YOUR A KAWA-SAKI GUY, that's all that's needed. If not (like me) , the 14 isn't such a big deal  
beerchug.gif
It can and has been bored 2 or 3 mill over .. Carpender offers a 1417 kit as well as a stroker 1500+ kits ..

I just don't know where you guys get this bad info ...

(DaCol. @ May 14 2007,17:31)
lurk.gif

all_coholic.gif
SHOCKED.gif
wink.gif
beerchug.gif
I'm not a 14 fan for many reasons. I hate to tell ya though, you can overbore the engine. I have a friend that has already done it. I won't name any names because I don't want to ruin any Grudge racing opportunities for him, but I will say he runs ProStar with me.

(WWJD @ May 14 2007,20:19) I always felt the 14 would spank the busa, but was shocked it wasn't by a larger margin.  In a busa, you own a living legend.  With a 14 you own the current Bike Of The Moment.  I STILL don't see any at the road course race tracks, or out tearing up the back road twisties...   what's up with that?

I know the 14 is a fine ride, and as always, if it's on two wheels, it's a friend.
What's a large margin?? My zx14 runs 8.70s on a stock motor ..You guys should know this one >> it takes a 1397 motor in a Busa to run them numbers ... Ask anyone that drag races a Busa what it takes to run 8.70s.... A stock motored Busa with my mods will not come close to the zx14 numbers....Brock has stated this on his web site ...The zx14 runs like a well build 1397 motor .....It's not like other zx14 owners are not in the 8s ..Fact is we have a bunch of guys here local running them numbers as well as many over at zx14.com.. Some of these guys are no light weights either , some are over two hundred pounds ... Having owned two busa myself i know the difference... Even with that said i waiting for the new busa and if it faster than my zx14 i will own one ......
beerchug.gif
If it beats the zx14 even by a little margin it's going to be one very very fast bike ...
biggrin.gif

(JINKSTER @ May 14 2007,18:45) besides that?..i've been hearing some bad poop rgarding the 14's having a nasty tendency to suck a valve on occassion...can't confirm it...just what i've read...and i believe h.org member gulcu has a turkish riding friend who owned a 14 that swallowed one of it's own valves...i'll stick with O-Ren..she's still insanely powered for the street for me leastways..but i ride like a puss!
laugh.gif
Well with over 500 passes on my zx14 i have had no dropped valves...It's not like i'm easy on either... I have never heard about this valve dropping problem other than on this site.... I did hear from someone that runs prostar that one bike with after market larger valves , cams and buckets dropped a valve ..But how is that Kawi falt..??  You know if Kawi or zook builds 2500 bikes one is going to have a problem of some kind ..I'm on all the zx14 web sites and we have lots of drag races ( most X Busa owners )  and see no reports about  mass problems....Fact is  the zx14 has only had one recall and that was lose bolts on the tip over sensor on the very early bikes....Not a real biggie ....Nothing like the recalls on the first two years of the busa....You may not like the looks of the zx14 but still kawi did a good job with this motorcycle..  
beerchug.gif
I remember when the busa first came out and it's didn't win any prizes for looks either...Most thought it was ugly....

I Just can't stand a 14. That's my opinion. Are they faster, yes, and they should be. They're a new design!

Back