I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
Lawmakers recite Constitution on House floor
Lawmakers recite Constitution on House floor

By JIM ABRAMS
The Associated Press
Thursday, January 6, 2011; 11:23 AM

WASHINGTON -- And let it be said, on this second day following the convening of the 112th Congress, newly sworn members of the House shall stand and read aloud the Constitution of the United States.

And so it was Thursday, as lawmakers took turns reciting each verse and article of the document. Republicans in charge of the chamber rattled it off with missionary zeal, as if in a school civics class. Democrats pitched in, but with seemingly less ardor.

Congressional historians say it's the first time the nation's governing document, which went into operation in 1789, was read in its entirety on the House floor. New Speaker John Boehner (BAY'-nur) opened the recital, followed by outgoing Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who ceded the gavel to the Ohio Republican on Wednesday.

Anyone else think this is perhaps a little crazy that its the first time ever that the governing document was read aloud by the governing people? ???

And I kinda think its a great step, at least now they cant say they didn't know what they were there to protect and do :beerchug:

Last edited:
Seems like a few things are changing from what i heard on the news. On particular thing that caught my ear was the way they do earmarks.

Sent from my rooted HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

Maybe they can teach that jackass Obama what his job is actually meant to be.

they only have a few years in office and his last 2 will be just that his last 2 so while its encouraging to see I doubt they will have an impact on him. He's clearly pushing someone's agenda, he can call it his own but a jr senator from IL doesn't make it to the white house without someone behind him pushing/pulling the right strings. And while he cannot be blamed for everything that is bad or going bad, his policies and "change we can believe in" are certainly a wake up call for this country. Some have been good, some have been OK and some are just downright rubbish. Seems people are waking up and starting to try and get some of their voice heard. One can only hope its not too late and that they continue to get some of that "change" back.

they only have a few years in office and his last 2 will be just that his last 2 so while its encouraging to see I doubt they will have an impact on him. He's clearly pushing someone's agenda, he can call it his own but a jr senator from IL doesn't make it to the white house without someone behind him pushing/pulling the right strings. And while he cannot be blamed for everything that is bad or going bad, his policies and "change we can believe in" are certainly a wake up call for this country. Some have been good, some have been OK and some are just downright rubbish. Seems people are waking up and starting to try and get some of their voice heard. One can only hope its not too late and that they continue to get some of that "change" back.

well said

Protecting\defending the Constitution has become the popular cry, just as "Bush Bashing" was a few years ago. Sorry to tell you folks, it's all a "Dog and Pony Show" to make people feel good about electing them. Look, we read the constitution, we must be trying to protect it. In the end, it will be "politics-as-usual".

Protecting\defending the Constitution has become the popular cry, just as "Bush Bashing" was a few years ago. Sorry to tell you folks, it's all a "Dog and Pony Show" to make people feel good about electing them. Look, we read the constitution, we must be trying to protect it. In the end, it will be "politics-as-usual".

No doubt but its pretty amazing to me that this is the first time they have actually read it. Funny, they spent hours debating on which version of it to read.... politics as usual for sure :banghead:

I think every congressman should be required to cite the constitution by memory before they can be sworn into office. After all, the are swearing to uphold and defend it! :thumbsup:

Apparently they need pocket size copies so they can refresh their memory from time to time! :thumbsup:

Another one of those things that that particular party is good at...making more out of something than is necessary and finding new ways to take the masses eye off the ball. They're masters of vagueness and ambiguity, so it won't surprise me one bit when they begin to apply their "interpretation" of it and tell us they're carrying it out as intended. I at least applaud the appearance of effort...now I'd like to see how it all plays out. They're getting themselves plenty of rope...let's hope they don't strangle themselves with it.
It's getting to be like me telling my son over and over again to stop jumping on the couch. You think they get it, they act like they get it, and it stops temporarily...but a few minutes/hours (maybe even seconds depeding upon your kid) later, they're right back at it again like you haven't said a wprd to 'em all day.

I say next election...absolutely NO ONE votes. :moon:

On second thought, they may take that as a sign they can really do what they want. :rofl: :banghead:

Congress, like children must be watched.....guided and taught.

and when they get out of line, you put a hand to thier back-side....

"We the People" dropped the ball, we got caught up in our own personal lives and stopped watching the kids....and like kids do, Congress ran wild....

Last election, the citizens of this country put a whoopin' on that A$$. However for any real change to occur, we must be vigilant. We must always keep our eye on them....

there are diffrent "versions" of the constitution? i understand each ammendment but the base constitution has "versions"?

It's getting even better!!!!

House Republicans challenge Obama on debt limit - Yahoo! News

"WASHINGTON – In power scarcely a day, House Republicans bluntly told the White House on Thursday its request to raise the nation's $14.3 trillion debt limit will require federal spending cuts to win their approval, laying down an early marker in a new era of divided government."

"By contrast, the House has unilateral authority to cut its own spending, and GOP leaders chose a 5 percent reduction as a symbolic initial action by lawmakers on their first full day on the job."

:cheerleader::thumbsup::beerchug:

It's getting even better!!!!

House Republicans challenge Obama on debt limit - Yahoo! News

"WASHINGTON – In power scarcely a day, House Republicans bluntly told the White House on Thursday its request to raise the nation's $14.3 trillion debt limit will require federal spending cuts to win their approval, laying down an early marker in a new era of divided government."

"By contrast, the House has unilateral authority to cut its own spending, and GOP leaders chose a 5 percent reduction as a symbolic initial action by lawmakers on their first full day on the job."

:cheerleader::thumbsup::beerchug:

That is like a preacher putting $5 in the collection plate.:whistle:

They should read evey new Bill introduced for a vote on the floor too! Maybe then they would start writing them so we can understand them and they actually know what they are voting on.

They should read evey new Bill introduced for a vote on the floor too! Maybe then they would start writing them so we can understand them and they actually know what they are voting on.

Best suggestions I heard in a long time.:bowdown:

Back