2022 Pashnit Touring on a Hayabusa

DSC00875.JPG

DSC00877.JPG

DSC00878.JPG

At Boyden Cave in Kings Canyon, the road was closed, but the rock slide from a few days earlier was all cleaned up, and we enjoyed a few moments in the bottom of the canyon along the Kings River. The walls of the canyon extended straight up thousands of feet.

DSC00915-3.JPG

DSC00915-6.JPG

DSC00916.JPG

Topping off bikes - Rafael made it on the fuel he had with his Indian Bobber Scout.

DSC00963.JPG

Sequoia & Kings Canyon NP are at the very top of the Sierra Nevada Range, but directly below them are some very fun twisty foothill roads. Dunlap Rd in particular is super fun. That gets us to Highway 245.

Dunlap-Rd-topo.JPG

I called this road the 4-year-old in church. I don't think you'll get that reference, though, unless you've actually sat with a 4-year-old in church.

DSC00964.JPG

<cue time machine music> A decade ago in 2012, I ran a 4-day motorcycle tour through Northern California, and we included an evening at the Siskiyou Golden Speedway in Yreka. Small towns, small 1/8th mile oval dirt racetracks and big fun. We haven’t been back since.

<cue more time machine music> Over 20 years ago in 1999, I took my then-girlfriend to the Speedway Bike Races in Auburn. The Speedway Bike Races were somewhat new, launched in 1998, and it was something different for a date night to experience with my super-hot girlfriend. Fast-forward 23 years later and the Speedway Races are still running every Friday night in Auburn, CA (& I married the super-hot girl :p)

The idea to wrap a motorcycle tour around these two venues became an alluring idea.

The two events are separated by hundreds of miles of mountain roads, we could ride through the Northern California mountains and visit not one, but two race venues. This ride worked out so well, we’ll do it again in May 2023 if you can plan that far in advance.

Plus, three of the same riders that rode with me in 2012 were also on this same tour a decade later.

But first...
DSC09303.JPG

We had some new riders on this tour, Gordon and Rob, plus Hana, my Israeli friend who's been riding with us for over ten years finally escaped Canada post-covid to ride down from Vancouver, BC for this tour. Hana immigrated to Canada from Israel, and we've been riding together for over ten years. It's a delight to see her.

DSC09304.JPG

DSC09305.JPG

The meet spot for this tour was a mile from my house in the Sierra Foothills, so we were riding local roads

DSC09307.JPG

Back