2022 Pashnit Touring on a Hayabusa

Morro Rock is one of my favorite places in California, nothing quite like it anywhere

DSC00754.JPG

DSC00755.JPG

DSC00758.JPG

Unlike the earlier wooden 1917 stairway, the new 1930s-era stairway adopted a design policy of blending with the natural surfaces to the greatest extent possible.

DSC00782.JPG

Atop 6725 ft Moro Rock looking straight down on both sides.

DSC00789.JPG

Puffy clouds rolling in and blowing right by us up the canyon

DSC00790.JPG

DSC00817-2.JPG

There's a small welcome center as you enter Sequoia NP, I'd never stopped there, so we had to check that out. In front of the building is a giant sequoia that's several times larger than the building.

DSC00824-2.JPG

After wandering through the forest smelling Bacon, we headed for Hume Lake Rd, we rode this road a month ago just to view down into Kings Canyon but were not able to ride down into the canyon.

Thought we'd be able to ride into the canyon a month later - but no. Due to a rock slide, the road into the canyon was supposed to be closed.

Hume Lake Rd
DSC00839.JPG

DSC00840.JPG

DSC00841.JPG

Ever get a chance to ride Kings Canyon NP, do it.

Yes, that's paved.
DSC00843.JPG

DSC00845.JPG

It's as fun to ride as it looks from afar. Looking down though, this road is supposed to be closed, Sequoia NP website says it's closed, CalTrans says it's closed, but we could see a few cars way far off. Hmm.
DSC00850.JPG

But first, lunch.

View attachment 1656339

Don't be that guy.

View attachment 1656340

I've been doing this a long time (20 years), and riders often underestimate how fast they can burn off a set of tires on these roads. Especially with these types of tours. All I've got to offer you is super twisty roads.
View attachment 1656341

I've went out with good tread, and came home looking like that Many a time.
Gotta get your money's worth, lol,
but I think I would've changed it before that trip...

Seems someone has a small fuel tank. Makes this extra fuel attached to the bottom of the Givi rack handy.

DSC00866.JPG

DSC00864.JPG

Rafael is on the Indian Bobber Scout. Cool looking bike, but not well suited for these tours. All he did was scrape hard parts all weekend.

The ride into Kings Canyon. What luck. We learned they had opened up the road HOURS before we got there. Even the signs still said it was closed and we encountered Zero traffic as we rode into the canyon which descends 5000 feet to the river

DSC00867.JPG

The ride into Kings Canyon NP is big fast sweepers with jaw dropping views.

DSC00869.JPG

DSC00874.JPG

Back