Top Speed, Pulled Over, Didn’t Go to Jail?

A friend is a long-since retired police officer who spent most of his time investigating crimes against the elderly. Someone must not have shown up for work and thus the captain put a radar gun in his hands. He returned to the station later on and told the captain, "I just clocked a tree doing 23 mph. This thing does not work." He put it on the captain's desk and went back to performing meaningful work.

My best pardon for speeding came from a CHP officer back in 2001 and his last name on his badge was Hannigan. At that time the CHP Commissioner was a guy named Maury Hannigan. I don't if know the officer was a brother, nephew, or just some CHP guy with the same last name.

Northbound on the I-5 going through the Central Valley somewhere on my way to see a ZR-1 Corvette in Petaluma. I was driving an old 35th Anniversary Corvette equipped with the average stuff of the day. L98 engine, 700 R4 trans and the most lethargic gear in the rear at 2.59 to 1. So, were just cruising at 75 to 80 and a black Mercedes passes me followed by a silver BMW. These two cars are doing at least 90 mph so I let them get out in front of me a ways and then follow their lead... aka... bear food.

That lasted for a while until I noticed the gap was opening up to much and so I proceeded to reel them back in to a safe following distance. Well... as you can imagine it was poor timing on my part. I saw a slick top crown vic pass me going south and as luck would have it he turned around and pulled me over.

He informs me from the passenger side where my wife is sitting that I was doing a 102 mph and ask for my documents. A little conversation followed and I ended up telling him about the Mercedes and the BMW that were ahead of me. He says I clocked them at 90+ but I got you at over a 100 mph and this could be a real expensive ticket, plus, I could impound your car. We continued to chat... In my defense all I could come up with "I guess its the guy driving a Corvette and is the guy that gets the ticket". He replied, "Since you are driving a Corvette I am going to let you go". Thank You x 3 was all I could say... we shook hands and off we went to look at a ZR-1 that can go 30 mph faster than the Corvette I was driving then. I did end up buying that ZR-1 a couple weeks later. Flew up and drove back... I did hit 150 mph one time on the way home. It was right after 3 or 4 cop cars passed me while chasing some other guy. They chase car turned around at an overpass a few miles down the road and I saw them pass going the other way. I decided at that point that the road was probably clear up ahead... It was time to let out all the horses!

A friend is a long-since retired police officer who spent most of his time investigating crimes against the elderly. Someone must not have shown up for work and thus the captain put a radar gun in his hands. He returned to the station later on and told the captain, "I just clocked a tree doing 23 mph. This thing does not work." He put it on the captain's desk and went back to performing meaningful work.
I shudder to think of what the roads would be like if there was no traffic/speed enforcement.....it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

Even now with traffic enforcement in place there are crazies out there driving like the streets and roads are their own personal race track...

The "so what" of this is people are dying as a result and it isn't always the crazy speeder...

I like to stretch the legs of the Bumblebee like anyone else but there is a time and place.

I shudder to think of what the roads would be like if there was no traffic/speed enforcement.....it wouldn't be a pretty sight.
In my area, it seems like there is already no traffic enforcement. Cops will only be out there at the end of the month. On a 55mph highway, cars are constantly going 90mph+ regularly. Even the cops themselves do it without any lights/sirens. And everyday there seems to be accidents in which vehicles look totaled.

Even now with traffic enforcement in place there are crazies out there driving like the streets and roads are their own personal race track...

The "so what" of this is people are dying as a result and it isn't always the crazy speeder...

I like to stretch the legs of the Bumblebee like anyone else but there is a time and place.

Time and place being...when the cops are too busy chasing someone else!
lmao!
I get the best use of my tax dollars riding on empty roads out here, knowing when and where is a skill in itself, lol.

I find it hard to believe that a lot of these street racers on YT video do these racing stunts in moderate

traffic. Then again... when you see how some of these folks leave the local Cars and Coffee spot nothing

much surprises me with the lack of car control.

I know one thing for sure... wouldn't stand anywhere near the street where these Cars and Coffee

drivers places are exiting the gathering spot. I have seen to many people scatter to save their lives as

drivers careen out of control and run over curbs and slam into parked cars.

I can only imagine the legal trouble some of these reckless drivers get into when the eyewitness stories

are gathered ( not to mention any video ) and the police investigate what these senseless crashes looked

like.

I find it hard to believe that a lot of these street racers on YT video do these racing stunts in moderate

traffic. Then again... when you see how some of these folks leave the local Cars and Coffee spot nothing

I know one thing for sure... wouldn't stand anywhere near the street where these Cars and Coffee

drivers places are exiting the gathering spot. I have seen to many people scatter to save their lives as

I can only imagine the legal trouble some of these reckless drivers get into when the eyewitness stories

are gathered ( not to mention any video ) and the police investigate what these senseless crashes looked

like.
It's always the Mustangs losing control when leaving out of the parking lot.

like.
You mean like some of these people?

There are hundreds of these videos

A little off topic, but out the back of beyond, 6th gear and max’ed out on a Gen-1. Fortunately both the other riders were off duty. I did get a few words about if I got caught doing it again though. Ridden with a few who weren’t shy about having a play in their own time.

A little off topic, but out the back of beyond, 6th gear and max’ed out on a Gen-1. Fortunately both the other riders were off duty. I did get a few words about if I got caught doing it again though. Ridden with a few who weren’t shy about having a play in their own time.
Even at the lowest levels of justice the two tier system works for us every now and then.

Spent 4 years in Germany and when on the Autobahn when you come to an unlimited speed sign the race is on. Just gotta pass on the left and you'll spend more time looking in the rear view mirror seeing if you can pass the car ahead before the car behind you passes you while flashing his lights. It doesn't matter how fast you are going there is always someone faster. Going to work everyday felt like I was in a NASCAR race lol. Ever been in a twin turbo taxi that can do 200 mph, it's worth the fare.

142 on my Bimota SB6, just ut a full Corse ti exhaust (back in 01' ti exhausts were only a race thing) and it was on an abandoned road to an undeveloped neighborhood except for the cop looking for some quiet time... I didn't run... So instead of a ticket he simply yelled at me and told me what a POS my bike is (my $24k back then) and thanked me for not running.. Not even a ticket!!!

160 roughly. I was on my GSXR 1000 and my buddy was on his R1. We were cruising down towards Watkins Glen in New York on a Roman street road. The cop was amazed A) that we could even go that fast and B) that we pulled over for him. We talked for a few minutes and he told us we'd better get out of there because the word was out on the radio and other troopers were on their way. No ticket no nothing

FB_IMG_1656737903923.jpg

Screenshot_20220621-125251_Facebook.jpg

This race right here was me vs a c6z06 built motor with a ysi blower. Making right at 1000 wheel. I gave him the hit and was running him down when all of a sudden I thought we were getting abducted by aliens lol. The helicopter was on us, with the brightest light ever lol
Clocked us at 171 in a 65 we pulled over fully ready to get arrested. And we were about to! Cops were storming in all around us. But good ol dangerous Albuquerque saved the day! Some dumb ass was shooting at another cop a few blocks away so everyone took off to go after the higher priority crime and told us to go home and they never wanna see us on the streets again. Definitely got super lucky that day.

Back