Top Speed, Pulled Over, Didn’t Go to Jail?

the laser scanner picks up the laser after it already tagged you so you kinda screwed already. there are ways to try to mess with it like a military laser jammer, a wedge shaped car car like a lambo, or some sort of light absorbing material.
Had a couple of jammers with all the different bands as well. 1st one amazing 2nd series sucked was just $ grab; same company. Jammer worked on everything until within a 100ft an the Lazer could over power signals.

That last part is not possible with me just being honest.
I've always heard that interstate highways are where they're most likely to have laser. That's where and how I got busted doing 110 mph ten years ago. Half my driving points were gone on that one. Now it's back roads and tight corners for me. I probably do 100 or close to it every ride but taking it up to 160 or more are very few and far between.

260 km/h he didn't actually stop me but cops were waiting at my house (not sure how he got my plate), I lost me entire license had to redo my learners take a driving test and redo my motorcycle plus took a bunch of courses with drunk drivers (everyone their were for dui's except me lol) and ontop of all that pay a hefty fine! I simply don't put plates on my bike anymore for that simple reason!

From what I’ve seen lasers are hand held devices meaning that the revenuers must be stopped and holding the ‘gun’ in their hands to point in any direction. Moving cop cars can’t deploy lasers.
the laser (lidar) does require a stationary user and has cant be used through glass but can work in bad weather and has less range than radar but can pinpoint cars in traffic. radar can be used both stationary and moving. works through glass but can be affected by large moving objects and bad weather. the other one is video(vascar.) uses a camera and computer to work out speed. that one cant be jammed unless you got some cloaking device or can disrupt the camera from seeing you. another one is a good ole stop watch. distances premarked and you can be time in the stopwatch zone and your avg speed can be calculated. to win in court you need to know what you are up against.

the laser (lidar) does require a stationary user and has cant be used through glass but can work in bad weather and has less range than radar but can pinpoint cars in traffic. radar can be used both stationary and moving. works through glass but can be affected by large moving objects and bad weather. the other one is video(vascar.) uses a camera and computer to work out speed. that one cant be jammed unless you got some cloaking device or can disrupt the camera from seeing you. another one is a good ole stop watch. distances premarked and you can be time in the stopwatch zone and your avg speed can be calculated. to win in court you need to know what you are up against.
Surprised no one has mentioned the instant on tech which changed the game a bit.

130 mph in a 55 on my 85 900 Ninja on the Dan Ryan xway in Chicago. Trooper puts his lights and follows me up the off ramp. Before I can get my wallet out he gets on his loud speaker and says " Stay the F#@% off the Expressway " and peels out from behind me and takes off. That was 30+ years ago. Doubt that kind of love would be shown today. If it had been the Chicago cops I would have run but the State Police in those days had Diplomat Hemi's and would always call for backup.

From what I’ve seen lasers are hand held devices meaning that the revenuers must be stopped and holding the ‘gun’ in their hands to point in any direction. Moving cop cars can’t deploy lasers.
That's my understanding. The cop that got me with laser was parked on an overpass with a ramp going right down to the highway.

the laser (lidar) does require a stationary user and has cant be used through glass but can work in bad weather and has less range than radar but can pinpoint cars in traffic.
I was clocked with laser from 2085 feet. That's close to a half mile. Even with me doing 100 mph, that was enough time for the cop to jump in his car and get it on the ramp in time to start a chase at a reasonable distance. I saw him backing up on the ramp and knew something was up so I slowed down. I pulled onto the bottom of the ramp when I saw his lights coming down. LOL not much of a chase. Might have been the reason he didn't arrest me though.

That's my understanding. The cop that got me with laser was parked on an overpass with a ramp going right down to the highway.

I was clocked with laser from 2085 feet. That's close to a half mile. Even with me doing 100 mph, that was enough time for the cop to jump in his car and get it on the ramp in time to start a chase at a reasonable distance. I saw him backing up on the ramp and knew something was up so I slowed down. I pulled onto the bottom of the ramp when I saw his lights coming down. LOL not much of a chase. Might have been the reason he didn't arrest me though.

when people get arrested, cases sometimes end up in court and in court bc of the distance he measured you from, the charges can (not will) get thrown out. the lidar has a beam width measured in degrees or milliradians (mR.) once you get past 1000ft, the width of the would be a few feet and the speed “could” have come off a “different vehicle or object.” you don’t have to prove you weren’t driving triple digits, you just have to prove the machine didn’t get your speed at that distance. avg lane with in usa is about 12ft. a 6ft beam width could be in the lane next to you. even with great marksman accuracy, the machine is way off at that distance trying to measure a small front end of a motorcycle.

7DA62614-7C92-4029-84F8-FC828803E7A7.jpeg

When I was station at Luke AFB me and a friend got off work at 11pm and just left the Base. I was on a GS550 and he was dual sport bike, when the lite turned green the race was on and I was gone and by the time I got to the South Gate entrance I was doing over 100. I kept it nailed until I saw a road block a few miles down the road. I thought it was and accident but there was 4 Cops car's waiting for me. I didn't know their was a Cop car around the corner at the Circle K at the lite when I launched, the Cop said he didn't see me but could hear me, open header on the GS so he radioed ahead. I forged the tag on my bike with the white and black ink we got back in Basic Training to mark our underwear. The tag was black with white letters AZ 81 and four officers were looking at the tag and saying it must be register. So I got a ticket for doing 90 in a 50. My friend finally passes by and I say what about him and he says we always go after the lead bike so they gave me a free ride back to Base and said if I come back later that night to get my bike I'm going to Jail, think of it as your Xmas present. So I go to Court and a Lady says do you want to see the Judge or pay the fine, she says 35 bucks and I'm gone LOL. I raised so much Hell on that bike riding it from Coast to Coast and when I went to Germany I sold it to a friend and bought it back 5 years later. I'm surprised I didn't kill myself on that bike.

when people get arrested, cases sometimes end up in court and in court bc of the distance he measured you from, the charges can (not will) get thrown out. the lidar has a beam width measured in degrees or milliradians (mR.) once you get past 1000ft, the width of the would be a few feet and the speed “could” have come off a “different vehicle or object.” you don’t have to prove you weren’t driving triple digits, you just have to prove the machine didn’t get your speed at that distance. avg lane with in usa is about 12ft. a 6ft beam width could be in the lane next to you. even with great marksman accuracy, the machine is way off at that distance trying to measure a small front end of a motorcycle.

View attachment 1637947
Here in NC, the problem is a $250 fine, made up as $220 court fee and a $30 penalty fee. So in short one has to spend a day in court to save $30 should you win the case.

I got extremely lucky when I was in my early 20's. I was heading to Lake of the Ozarks for 4th of July on my 2002 R1 with hardly any cars on the road so we were just crusing top of 6th most the way there. Apparently at some point we passed a cop and he was NOT happy with us.

Once we got closer to town we slowed down due to traffic and all of a sudden I notice those flashing lights in my mirror. I was laying on the gas tank relaxing so I didn't notice him behind us at first and neither did my buddy. At this point he had our plates so we just pulled over. Unlucky for us he was highway patrol, threw open his door and came sprinting towards us. I thought he was going to tackle one of us off our bikes he was so angry.

Sat there yelling at us saying we could be dead and all that, then asked how fast we were going. Clearly he didn't hit us on radar so I gave him the whole, no idea I was focused on the road. He said he had his car pegged at 120MPH for over 20 minutes to catch up to us, lol.

Long story short after about 30 minutes of him yelling at us he eventually just wrote us a ticket for 20 over I think it was. I just remember it was 1MPH under where they are required to take you to jail and he straight up said we can argue with him since we knew he didn't get us on radar and end up going to jail, or just sign the ticket for 20 over and be on our way.

We signed the tickets and went on our way. Later on that night my buddy told me that he actually saw the cop when we passed him and we were definitely in the 180+ range(indicated). He just never expected him to chase us or catch us so he didn't bother mentioning it.

...knock on wood ...

My only ticket so far was more than a year ago: 81+ (that's how it was written) in a 65. $450, a hundred of that for the online traffic school.

-1 on the front sprocket now so it reads about 10 higher than actual. Makes it easy to loaf in triple digits but I'm still pretty much a chicken
I actually just went to visit a client at lunch time and got pulled over on the way back doing 86 in a 65. I saw him on top the ramp right as he got me so I just pulled over and waited for him to catch up. I wasn't about to try and run from a bike cop, I'm sure he can put my riding to shame anywhere but a straight line.

He ended just giving me a warning and said to enjoy the last bit of beautiful weather. Lucky day!

sounds like the problem is NC. in every state that i’ve gone to court, if u win the case you dont pay anything.
It's a scam, get caught, three days later we receive about five letters from attorneys who offer help. Pay around $400 to an attorney and the the citation gets changed to faulty equipment with no licence points and paid by the attorney.

A friend assures me Uniden is the way to go. His stories are similar though. Do your research. Just be aware that there's no defense against laser. If the detector goes off, they got you. Don't speed on interstate highways and you should be ok.
A couple things can happen with laser where you won't get ticketed. The first example is pretty rare but it was the only thing I could come up with because I think it happened to me one time.

A tractor trailer van was well ahead of me in a gradual curve... like 800 to a 1000 ft perhaps. I heard one little laser warble from my V1 but no police car or motorcycle was in sight. About 10 to 20 seconds later ( not sure exactly how long ) I see the officer parked perpendicular to the road with his laser gun. I am thinking his laser reflected off the side of the semi trailer and my V1 caught it.

Sometimes when laser is being used they are sighting a car in front of you some place close and you get the signal by being in the same line of sight position... perhaps it even went through the windows of the car in front of you briefly though they are usually aiming at the license plate or the head lights.

You are pretty much correct though... when you hear the laser signal its already too late

Much of the time speeding tickets are nothing more that money orders for the courts. Its a victimless offense that usually doesn't injure anybody. However, I have seen speeders that are reckless and would be good candidates for getting a ticket if I was on patrol and had a badge.

I have been blessed many times while running a V1. Out here in California most CHP officers just leave the instant KA band gun in the on position. Its a great benefit to those of us that have a good detector and are happy to have advance notice that KA band is operating in the area. Under the right conditions the signal strength meter will let you know when to slow down because they still aren't close enough to you to get a speed number.

The longest detection for my old V1 was was perhaps about ten miles away. It was a straight shot across an open area and I drove about 5 miles before the CHP passed me going the other way. The signal started at the bottom of the scale and increased to full alert when he was getting close. Location... Nipton Rd to the California / Nevada state line on the I-15 interstate.

If you go to the Valentine One website you can read all the tales from the "Battle Zone" where a new story is published each month that has some details on how a V1 helped them beat a ticket or tickets. Also there are people that switched to a V1 after using other brands and experienced the difference.

They call it Moments of the Month now.

Last edited:
Back