Got pulled over last night.

TIMMYDUCK

Head Woodchuck
Donating Member
Registered
So,
Heading out to the meet up with the boys and girls to do a little riding after a week of rain in New England.
Heading to the meeting spot around 6 p.m., secondary road, 25 mph speed limit.
No cars in front of me straight road, minding my own buisness.
Line of 3 cars coming towards me.
3rd one is a town Police Officer.
Lights, Camera, Action.
Light bar goes on, hand comes out window motioning to pull over while he is still a good 50 yards in front of me.
So, I say S*** , pull it over.
Takes him 30 seconds or so to turn around in a driveway and comes up behind me.
I am standing next to my bike, when he approaches me and says " The only reason you are NOT getting a ticket is because you pulled over and didn't run on me.
Timyduck " Ok sounds good to me, but why would I run ?"
Officer laughs at that " Do you know the speed limit ?"
Timmyduck " Yes, it's 25 mph"
Officer " How fast do you think you where going ? "
Timmyduck (Little white lie) " Well I looked down after I saw you and it indicated 32 mph.
Officer " No you where doing 57 and climbing "
Timmyduck " Oh"
Officer " Got a license"
Timmyduck " Sure "
Officer " Suspended ? "
Timmyduck " No "
Officer" Give me a minute to run it and stay out of the road "
Timmyduck " Ok "
Officer does his radio, computer thing.
Officer " Here you got Tim all set " as he hands back license.
Timmyduck " Thanks "
Officer " Nice bike bet you can't even do 30 mph on that thing.
Timmyduck " No , you can. In 1st gear but it's a little tough on the wrists if you don't have some forward motion to relieve the pressure.
Officer " Well keep it as close to the posted limit as you can without straining anything" (with a smile)
Timmyduck " Ok"
Officer says good bye and leaves.
Took less than 2 minutes the whole event.
Haven't been pulled over in 3 years, and meeting that officer was a pleasure.
Could have written me hard 30 + over, but understood the nature of the bike and it's characteristics.
So thank you officer ?
Your the type of person we need doing the job.

Yep--I learned a long time ago (from police friends), that being polite, and courteous goes a long way. Glad you didn't get the ticket.

Yep--I learned a long time ago (from police friends), that being polite, and courteous goes a long way.  Glad you didn't get the ticket.
Sometimes it's all it takes.
There are some real hard azzes who don't have a clue what professional discretion is. I know, I work with a few.
I will say though, if you jet you have just thrown all the discretion right out the window.
Just my $.02

TDuck, glad you had a fortunate encounter. You know anything about Mt Washington (?) ride in June?

Yep--I learned a long time ago (from police friends), that being polite, and courteous goes a long way.  Glad you didn't get the ticket.
Alway's nice to them. Work's often, but not ever time. Been about 5 yrs since I have been pulled over.

Lucky Duck
biggrin.gif

Yeah, you not the only one here...
about a month ago I pulled over by trooper, I wasn't totally thinking or what...I was doing little over 100 mph.
Wasn't even noticed until something was flashing behind my back...back to reality quick, and pulled over right away...
and my head going like "Dang, did it again...@#$%^&*&^%$#@....
he come out ask for ID and first thing he says did you know how fast you going? I said fast...
then he ask where am I going, said I'm going home...then he said I'm not going to give you a ticket this time but, I have to chech you first, wait here...
I couldn't believe my own ear...I said to myself "hell you can check all day if you want..." I was like a little puppy who seen a first time snow falls..."
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|hydrabusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147964653 -->

Officer " Well keep it as close to the posted limit as you can without straining anything" (with a smile)
Timmyduck " Ok"
I had a similar thing happen to me a few weeks ago, the officer even asked me to come back and ride his roads again.

I'll tell you another kind of officer we need. That's the ones like my son Brian. Arresting and hauling to jail every person he encounters on the road that has had too much to drink, even little old ladies that whine and cry because they've never had a ticket in their life. Some whine all the way to jail.

Way to go Brian, keep the drunks in jail so the rest of us have a little safer roads.

he come out ask for ID and first thing he says did you know how fast you going? I said fast...
then he ask where am I going, said I'm going home...then he said I'm not going to give you a ticket this time but, I have to chech you first, wait here...
I couldn't believe my own ear...I said to myself "hell you can check all day if you want..." I was like a little puppy who seen a first time snow falls..."
tounge.gif
you started licking his face and peed on his leg?
That kind of puppy loving will get you arrested here.

Try this trick. Quickly glance at the officer / troopers nametag without him noticing. Then pretend you know him. Officer Timmyduck! hey man..Then be super polite. I gurantee this will get you off 80% of the time.
I dont know why it is but cops hate writing to someone they know or may be asked to help out later.

Timmyduck " Ok"
I had a similar thing happen to me a few weeks ago, the officer even asked me to come back and ride his roads again.

I'll tell you another kind of officer we need. That's the ones like my son Brian. Arresting and hauling to jail every person he encounters on the road that has had too much to drink, even little old ladies that whine and cry because they've never had a ticket in their life. Some whine all the way to jail.

Way to go Brian, keep the drunks in jail so the rest of us have a little safer roads.
+1 Amen to that brother.

Just curious,and you left this part out..
Was he older than you,younger,rookie,Sr. officer....toe tag age???
To me, this may mean a lot to how future events turn out.

I most cases the officers just want to slow you down...They don't even have the intent of writing a citation unless you give them cause...Just be polite/courteous and in many cases it will be returned to you...

Glad he let you go. The local cops in my area are cool like that, if you are not a jerk you will get let go about 95% of the time. The state troopers on the other hand are not so nice.

I had a similar situation but I got a ticket and rightfully so. I met a cop doing at least 110mph. Nice open road, brand new pavement, needed to let her stretch her legs. He asked if I knew why he pulled me over, I said yes, speeding. He said I clocked you at 78 in a 55. I said, that's probably about right. No sense in arguing with him. He dropped it to a 75 in a 55 which only carried a $75 fine.

I'm free again thanks to traffic school. 4 hours of my saturday morning well spent.

Nice guy, need more cops like him. Down with all these power trip cops.
guns.gif

Good for you Timmy. Not all LEO's here in the NE are so professional. Being Polite and honest seems to work with those that are.
beerchug.gif

I was in Red Deer a month ago, looking for a restaurant real late, went all the way to the end of town, and could see there was nothing but median for a mile, so did a U-turn at an intersection that did not have a "dont do it", controlled by lights, which at the time I had apparently forgotten was illegal. Cherries from a dark alley a second later, whipped over immediately, put on 4 ways. (in the dually).
This brand new just out of Cop school 'stud' came over and read me the riot act, unlucky for me I had left my wallet in the hotel, so now it's 172.00 for the illegal turn, 172.00 for not having drivers license on me, so on. I was extremely polite, apologized for the ignorance on the controlled intersection, and waited for my lumps. He did the computer/radio thing, came back, handed my insurance and gave me directions to the restaurant. No ticket, said he was amazed that this was the first stop in over 20 years, have a nice day.

I was coming home from work the other day cruising about 85 in the HOV lane and in my mirror I see a bike lane hopping through traffic behind me.... as I merged over to get onto another highway this bike comes shooting from another lane and tucks in behind me... my first response is cool, some fun, it appeared to be a sport bike of some sorts... couldn't tell as I was having to focus on traffic, but just as soon as I went to gas it the sun shined on the top of the other riders helmet to reveal a blue topped, gold based 3/4 face helmet... I rolled off the throttle and a LEO pulls up along side of me on one of the new BMW's they are switching over to from the KZ1000's and says "I thought we were going to have some fun for a second" I smiled and said "so did I until I saw who you were". he smiled and took the next off ramp... to close......

Back