Gen-3 ECU now able to flash/tune…

Take a 2018 zx10 off the show room floor and a gen 3 hayabusa throw a pipe and tunes on both and the zx10 will put buses on a gen 3. I don't care about hp or torque numbers I care about how fast it is hahaha.

But, and as someone who rides and Loves 1k's...it's still apples to oranges.
The zx10 'Sport Bike' doesn't have the same ergonomics, or passenger hauling torque(or comfort) as the 'Sport Touring' Busa does.
Pros and cons.
I get what you're saying too, we all wanted more, but you can only refine an already good thing so much...then you're back to cost, and getting away from the original Busa's, and make it something else entirely.

Take a 2018 zx10 off the show room floor and a gen 3 hayabusa throw a pipe and tunes on both and the zx10 will put buses on a gen 3. I don't care about hp or torque numbers I care about how fast it is hahaha.
But take a large man (or even an avg size man) who prefers performance accompanied with as much comfort as you can have on a sport bike and a liter bike is a joke by comparison. Plus you can’t retrofit many of the gen 3 improvements to an earlier gen. These were factors for me.

If I wanted full speed it would have been a zx14 which is faster then all gen Busas. But I’m willing to lose a couple tenths in a 1/4 for a far superior overall machine. I’m guessing most gen 3 BUYERS agree. Those that don’t want to buy a new one have different priorities or are not as financially well off, which will skew their priorities.

I bet the avg Gen 3 buyer is older and I’m better financially more stable. Bikes are relatively cheap. The few thousand more (even $10k more) isn’t a big deal for a gen 3 buyer. The younger guys will likely buy something different per above.

In the end we’re all Busa owners and fans. It’s all good.

That’s not exactly true…

…equal riders and weights and it’s no where near buses. To many videos of 130lb jockeys racing 250lb+ Busa owners that aren’t a fair comparison. Even when setup for roll racing, Busa is still in the game after 20+ years. Stock motor technology it’s not the fastest (mainly because of weight) but is able to be built into whatever you desire. Not to mention it still holds and continues to set all the records (just not stock motor class). Look at EJR’s stock motor Busa, even he admits the Busa is the best platform to go FAST!

Let’s not forget many of these bikes people claiming are “stock motor” are FAR FROM IT!

That’s not exactly true…

…equal riders and weights and it’s no where near buses. To many videos of 130lb jockeys racing 250lb+ Busa owners that aren’t a fair comparison. Even when setup for roll racing, Busa is still in the game after 20+ years. Stock motor technology it’s not the fastest (mainly because of weight) but is able to be built into whatever you desire. Not to mention it still holds and continues to set all the records (just not stock motor class). Look at EJR’s stock motor Busa, even he admits the Busa is the best platform to go FAST!

Let’s not forget many of these bikes people claiming are “stock motor” are FAR FROM IT!
Almost no one is stock motor when they say they are lol, if I could post instagram videos on here you'd see the gen 3 getting beat on steady in the roll racing scene.

EJR is an amazing tuner and weight cutter and 99% of the busas out there will never be that good of a bike, dudes a perfectionist.

Almost no one is stock motor when they say they are lol, if I could post instagram videos on here you'd see the gen 3 getting beat on steady in the roll racing scene.

EJR is an amazing tuner and weight cutter and 99% of the busas out there will never be that good of a bike, dudes a perfectionist.
I've seen many videos of all Hayabusa generations getting trounced in roll racing....

It had it's day and that day lasted a long time....when you are the thing to beat, people put a lot of time, energy and money into that endeavor....

I hope I didn't piss off to many people here with my comments, I absolutely love my gen 1 I literally slapped a turbo on it not knowing up from down and tuned it not knowing what the hell I was doing and I've been beating on it solid without a single issue. It's actually amazing and by far my favorite bike I've owned and ridden.

I'm just upset defending the gen 3 and saying it just needs a tune and exhaust then those come out and it's just meh in the bike world now. Maybe I'm still young and to filled with speed demon but when a guy like boostedh2 with a 500+ hp gen 2 and the first h2 in the 7's says it's a slouche and seeing the videos it sucks. But the bike is selling well and obviously speed isn't everything to everyone.

I hope I didn't piss off to many people here with my comments, I absolutely love my gen 1 I literally slapped a turbo on it not knowing up from down and tuned it not knowing what the hell I was doing and I've been beating on it solid without a single issue. It's actually amazing and by far my favorite bike I've owned and ridden.

I'm just upset defending the gen 3 and saying it just needs a tune and exhaust then those come out and it's just meh in the bike world now. Maybe I'm still young and to filled with speed demon but when a guy like boostedh2 with a 500+ hp gen 2 and the first h2 in the 7's says it's a slouche and seeing the videos it sucks. But the bike is selling well and obviously speed isn't everything to everyone.
I get you. totally.
I, like many was expecting big things from the Gen3 when the ECU was unlocked.
But it kind of turned out to be a big anti climax.
The Euro5 regs have killed any bolt on gains in reality - unlike the Gen 1 & 2.

I wonder how many will just get the ECU generic restrictions removed and not worry about a dyno tune if the gains are marginal at the best vs $ outlay for dyno time

I've got no doubt the Gen3 is a great bike in it's own right, but I wonder what the briefings were to the guys in Japan when developing the engine?

Try and image the team at Woolich when they eventually cracked the ECU and were all hot and excited to tune it... Only to find there's not much to be found..

For the foreseeable future, I will stick to my NA, Gen2 with great midrange torque and top end.

If I ha
I get you. totally.
I, like many was expecting big things from the Gen3 when the ECU was unlocked.
But it kind of turned out to be a big anti climax.
The Euro5 regs have killed any bolt on gains in reality - unlike the Gen 1 & 2.

I wonder how many will just get the ECU generic restrictions removed and not worry about a dyno tune if the gains are marginal at the best vs $ outlay for dyno time

I've got no doubt the Gen3 is a great bike in it's own right, but I wonder what the briefings were to the guys in Japan when developing the engine?

Try and image the team at Woolich when they eventually cracked the ECU and were all hot and excited to tune it... Only to find there's not much to be found..

For the foreseeable future, I will stick to my NA, Gen2 with great midrange torque and top end.
If I had a Gen 2 and didn’t have experience with all the tech improvements, I’d feel the same way. (By the way I’ve owned several Gen 1 Busas and a gen 2 busa) But I had an s1000xr for 2 years before my new busa and found the tech Nannie’s fantastic. So I knew their value in the real world. Frankly if they save you just once they’ve more than paid for themselves. You are a MUCH better rider with them unless you are professional road racer. On the xr I was one of the fastest in corners of all sport bikes (talking the dragon, etc roads in AL, N Ga, TN and NC) due in part to the nannies. The gen3 is a half step back in handling from an XR but a large step forward from the previous gens.l Busas. It’s not all about the 1/4 mile and those who think it is likely would see the tail lights of my lower peak HP Gen 3 after the first corner.

It’s not all about the 1/4 mile and those who think it is likely would see the tail lights of my lower peak HP Gen 3 after the first corner.

Agreed. I'm not a 1/4 mile person. I'm an out in the country, (6-8 hr days), carving up corners, riding the torque wave. With an odd track day - and not 1/4 mile track ..

Don't get me wrong, I'd happily give a Gen3 a go, but the cost here is near on two top condition Gen2's. Maybe one day when they are on the used market at a more affordable price

TTS !!.......muah-ha-haaa !!!.:fire:
There's a YouTube video. Head to head with a stock G3. Think it's 44teeth..
The stock did well I thought, considering the torque and hp difference.

And it's not All about the engine. It's a beautiful looking machine and feels so well balanced and stable at fast cruising speeds. It sure punches a big hole in the air. Looks wider from the front.

Last edited:
If I ha

If I had a Gen 2 and didn’t have experience with all the tech improvements, I’d feel the same way. (By the way I’ve owned several Gen 1 Busas and a gen 2 busa) But I had an s1000xr for 2 years before my new busa and found the tech Nannie’s fantastic. So I knew their value in the real world. Frankly if they save you just once they’ve more than paid for themselves. You are a MUCH better rider with them unless you are professional road racer. On the xr I was one of the fastest in corners of all sport bikes (talking the dragon, etc roads in AL, N Ga, TN and NC) due in part to the nannies. The gen3 is a half step back in handling from an XR but a large step forward from the previous gens.l Busas. It’s not all about the 1/4 mile and those who think it is likely would see the tail lights of my lower peak HP Gen 3 after the first corner.
All the nanny controls certainly put riders on equal footing....putting the suite on the gen 3 made perfect sense and a natural evolution for the bike.

I have never had a bike with them so don't miss them. Of course I have a quickshifter and have gotten very used to that so I can see getting used to all the rest would be easy.

I hate to be that guy, but I found racing in the old days to be much more entertaining than today...riders in those days were running by the seat of their pants on the ragged edge all the time.....riders today seem "prissy" in comparison...

But of course I'm also that guy who'd rather see NASCAR go back to their routes and race actual cars instead of these purpose built race cars they drive now.

I probably know the same folks you do. Hard to compare full on roll race setup jockey’s with bikes that have been out a while to Gen-3’s that haven’t been out long and not many folks modding them yet. But I understand your point….

I still remember my first experience on a busa. I owned a SV650 at the time (04ish) and took it to the drag strip for kicks. There was a busa owner that came up and talked to me about the SV. He wanted to take it down the strip for whatever reason and offered keys to his 99 busa for me to do the same. I took him up on it and while it was a blast in comparison on the drag strip, the comfort level of it took me by total surprise. From that night forward, I knew what my next bike would be. 3 generations of ownership of busas later and never looked back. Does everything I want, huge aftermarket support (well Gen1/2 ATM, lol) so I had plenty of options to tinker with and make it mine.

My ECM will show up at Moore tomorrow, hope to have it back by next weekend.

But take a large man (or even an avg size man) who prefers performance accompanied with as much comfort as you can have on a sport bike and a liter bike is a joke by comparison. Plus you can’t retrofit many of the gen 3 improvements to an earlier gen. These were factors for me.

If I wanted full speed it would have been a zx14 which is faster then all gen Busas...
But you're slightly contradicting yourself. The ZX-14 is more comfy than the Busa. It's just not as sporty. I think it's a hell of a bike and I quite like it, as long as I don't have to do a valve job on it, but if I were on a twisty Road, I'd be able to pass slower traffic in front of me with far more opportunities on the Hayabusa. The Busa is a potent salmon underneath you which you climb on and maneuver as a separate unit from you. You climb into a ZX-14 and become part of it.

I'm also going to rant for a short bit about racing. I love watching motorcycle racing, I find it enormously entertaining. But MotoGP for a few decades now has not featured the best riders in the world. It's featured the best midgets. Huge bikes in the 70s and 80s really favored American riders with dirt track experience, and I do believe there was a backlash against that. By the Europeans and Japanese. But when the manufacturers and the racing organization limit the fuel the bikes can use during a race, and don't bother having minimum weights for vehicle plus driver the way F1 does, you get a league that features the best midgets in the world. And that translates to the liter bikes they sell to consumers directly. I would love to love liter bikes. I still think most of them are geared way too tall for the twisties, as you basically don't take them out of first gear, but the truth is that I can't because they look (and feel) like children's paddock scooters when I am straddling one (I'm 6'5").

Economics also dictate that making all motorcycles use the same wheel and tire standards helps corporate profits, and the industry needs to prioritize fuel economy, and the technology has all gotten quite mature just in time to be phased out for Electrics, but boy were the Glory Days much more fun. I remember Rad Greaves racing a Hayabusa in an unlimited racing class. Hitting two hundred miles an hour on the straights where no other motorcycle could. I just wanted someone to put bigger wheels and tires on bigger forks and bigger swingarms. Yeah, I know you pay penalties in weight, but I would have liked to have seen that kind of experimentation of giving more power more tire patch to get around a track with a quicker lap time. We never really got that. So we never really got fastest bikes that even big guys could ride.

Comparing liter bikes to the Hayabusa really just can't be done. The whole industry is stacking the deck against the bigger displacement units. I love sport and hyper touring, and my gen one was basically perfect for that. There were times I was so in love with that bike words couldn't express it. That the Gen 3 will be even better seems fairly miraculous to me. Sorry to ramble, I guess I just wanted to add my agreement to it being an apples and oranges debate...

Last edited:
How a bike feels, and how comfortable it is...is 100% an individual opnion and preference.
Comparing a zx14 to a Busa is like comparing a Silverado to an F150, everyone picks the one they prefer for their own reasons, and most would tell you that what they chose is better because...

. It’s not all about the 1/4 mile and those who think it is likely would see the tail lights of my lower peak HP Gen 3 after the first corner.
I find a lot of folk seem to be able to find straws to grasp at with why they don’t like the Gen-3.

# It might make a couple of ponys less top end.
# It has tech they think they don’t want or need.
# It might not to a step forward for bragging about dyno numbers or going in a straight line.

Im finding it a genuinely good bike, a step up from a Gen-2 on the road and certainly a replacement for my higher spec H2 SX SE. The price hike to a Gen-3 was a bit salty, but in reality Suzuki are only catching up with manufacturers like Kawasaki and Ducati in having an updated bike in the range again.

Suzuki’s days of making class leading bikes are long gone, and the the latest Busa is only just catching up with features and tech and lacking some options, but for me the Gen-3 is ideal in it’s own niche in the market.

I also find this whole debate to be a really interesting intersection of Technology, Society, Economics, and even Environmental Protection. All factor into this equation, but the most interesting thing is that maybe fashion is trumping everything else. Humans are pretty simple apes and doing what other apes like is so drilled into us I don't think we see it half the time.

Maybe torque is simply in fashion right now:

There are so many bike manufacturers because there are so many people who prefer different things...

Cruisers, tour bikes, sports tours, nakeds, supersports, adventure tours, hypersports, supermoto, choppers, there are so many to choose from that many people even on this board have several different bikes for various riding experiences.

Where the Hayabusa fits into that list is a point of discussion, it can fit into a couple of those categories whereas few others fit into any other category than the one they are born into.

The Hayabusa was born out of the speed wars and has evolved into a general purpose bike which isn't great at any one thing but great at lots of little things.

Back