Tire Balancing

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
I am somewhat new to changing and balancing my own tires so I have limited experience in this area.

If a front tire is a 1/2 ounce out of balance would you be able to tell driving? For reference, each stick on weight is 1/4 ounce.

At triple digits speeds it will become very apparent, and get worse as your speed increases.

We will find out Saturday. :) Thanks Charlie for mounting my new Michelin Pilot Road 3 this afternoon. :) can't wait to try it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

At triple digits speeds it will become very apparent, and get worse as your speed increases.

Def agree. Don't have much recent exp with twisties but have good exp with going straight fast here. You'll def be able to tell above 80 or so if it's even the slightest bit out of balance.

Hopefully she is smooth sailing all the way...Sounds like balance could definately be the issue. Should be good to go now.

We will find out Saturday. :) Thanks Charlie for mounting my new Michelin Pilot Road 3 this afternoon. :) can't wait to try it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Please post up how it works out. I've machine changed/balanced countless car and truck tires, and hand changed too many dirtbike and 4 wheeler tires:laugh:
I want to buy a balancing stand to balance them myself(local garage will mount both for $20 for me, I don't want to hand change them!:laugh:, but he can't balance bike tires), the $30 a piece and 60 mile roundtrip to the dealer has gotten old!
I'm sure I"ll get the hang of it, but any advice is appreciated. I've ridden several bikes over the years with unbalanced tires too, and it was never good, and they usually only needed a 1/4 to 1/2 ounce to fix them.:beerchug:

Thanks for the replies for sure. I'll leave it to Tim to see if it fixes the high speed wobble....

Please post up how it works out. I've machine changed/balanced countless car and truck tires, and hand changed too many dirtbike and 4 wheeler tires:laugh:
I want to buy a balancing stand to balance them myself(local garage will mount both for $20 for me, I don't want to hand change them!:laugh:, but he can't balance bike tires), the $30 a piece and 60 mile roundtrip to the dealer has gotten old!
I'm sure I"ll get the hang of it, but any advice is appreciated. I've ridden several bikes over the years with unbalanced tires too, and it was never good, and they usually only needed a 1/4 to 1/2 ounce to fix them.:beerchug:

I am somewhat new to changing and balancing my own tires so I have limited experience in this area.

If a front tire is a 1/2 ounce out of balance would you be able to tell driving? For reference, each stick on weight is 1/4 ounce.

so you knew this and din't add the weight??????

rolling Vee blocks is how I balance all the tires I do and yes the have been over 230 no bounce

I mount and balance my own tires when I have the time w/harbor frieght equipment.

Balancing a tire is pretty easy. Take off old weights, then just add weight accordingly. If your not sure how to do it go to you tube and search for "balancing a motorcycle tire" and you'll have a nice little video to help you along.

I don't go 200mph or anything but lots of jaunts in the 150's at the race track, no issues.

I mount and balance my own tires when I have the time w/harbor frieght equipment.

Balancing a tire is pretty easy. Take off old weights, then just add weight accordingly. If your not sure how to do it go to you tube and search for "balancing a motorcycle tire" and you'll have a nice little video to help you along.

I don't go 200mph or anything but lots of jaunts in the 150's at the race track, no issues.

Thank you sir:beerchug:

what about the ceramic beads?

i went with them this year and the ride is smooth as with regular weights...no balancing needed...just add recommended amount to front and rear through the valve stem and put in valve stem,fill with air and install tire...

talked to a few others that use them and no problems from them..

at end of summer will know if any reason not to use them again...but the rides i have taken didnt see any difference

what about the ceramic beads?

i went with them this year and the ride is smooth as with regular weights...no balancing needed...just add recommended amount to front and rear through the valve stem and put in valve stem,fill with air and install tire...

talked to a few others that use them and no problems from them..

at end of summer will know if any reason not to use them again...but the rides i have taken didnt see any difference

I started a thread on them a few weeks ago, as I was interested in them also. I got alot of good feeedback, but there were several negative posts as well. Considering the possible "what ifs", my riding style, as well as the cost, I'm just going to start balancing my own on a stand with stick on weights.

This is the machine I use to balance my tires...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back