Wheel balancing

ozz

Donating Member
Registered
O.K. here's my question, I just pick up my rearwheel over at cyclegear with a new bt14. The dude at the shop ended up useing 2 1/2 ounces of weight to balance it. I took it in without the sprocket thinking it would'ent matter for a balance but now I'm thinking I should of just left it on. Should I have? In the past I havent and never seen that much weight on the wheel once balanced. What is to much weight generally, and at what point is the new tire bad?

Maybe its normal and I'm just being stupid here but when I saw ten 1/4 ounce weights on there it just looked like alot of lead to me. The guy at the shop said it was fine but next time bring the sprocket. I'm on for a ride tommorow so now I'm up against the clock to take it back with the sprocket and get a redo. Do you guys think this is O.K.? rob

And, after this I think I'm gonna learn how to do it myself.
smile.gif

I have never had any of my wheels balanced but if you think about it, you should have brought the complete rotating assembly to be balanced.

Anyways, it may not matter since people around here at the org mention changing sprokets all the time and I have read not mention of balancing.

I know it is nothing but just my
$0.02

jim
wow.gif

I have never had any of my wheels balanced but if you think about it, you should have brought the complete rotating assembly to be balanced.

Anyways, it may not matter since people around here at the org mention changing sprokets all the time and I have read not mention of balancing.

I know it is nothing but just my
$0.02

jim
wow.gif
I thought about the rotating mass thing but I think I read around here somewhere it was'ent a big issue...I mean,  I know some guys like to remove their rotors before they take the wheel to the shop,  and I know theres alot less mass,  but it just seems like ten 1/4 ounce'ers was alot.

Could the guy have just been lazy?  If it were me I think I would of moved the tire around some on the rim and rechecked it from there...I don't know,  need to learn how to do it myself.  Thanks man
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|ozz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147568486 -->

2 1/2 oz is way too much. I wouldn't accept that much on my car, let alone my bike. You should be OK riding it for a little while, as long as it is balanced. But I'd take it back. If it takes that much weight there is something wrong.

2 1/2 oz is way too much.  I wouldn't accept that much on my car, let alone my bike.  You should be OK riding it for a little while, as long as it is balanced.  But I'd take it back.  If it takes that much weight there is something wrong.
O.K. Thanks man, thats what I figured...the guys not all together being honest with me on the deal then...I will slap her back on tonight then and do my ride then take it back.

Do you think its that much weight because I left the sprocket off or could the tire itself be bad?

Having the sprocket off isn't going to make a difference really and it's off centerline of the hub . 2 1/2 ounces is a helluva lot . Sounds like he got the first weight in the wrong place and kept making up for his error . I hate having to use three 1/4 ounce weights on anything but that's the most I do .

Having the sprocket off isn't going to make a difference really and it's off centerline of the hub  . 2 1/2 ounces is a helluva lot . Sounds like he got the first weight in the wrong place and kept making up for his error . I hate having to use three 1/4 ounce weights on anything but that's the most I do .
At the end of the day (ride) tommorow I am going to take all the weights off and see how it is. It could'ent be any worse than what this clown did.

I want to get one of those wheel balancer deals and learn to do it myself. Does anyone know where a good place is to get one or what kind I should buy? Thanks rydfree
smile.gif

There is a very specific spot that the red or blue dot should be placed at.
That is the heaviest part of the mold and should be placed directly across from the valve stem.
The dot specifies the heaviest part of the molded tire.
I get this all from the owners manual of a friends Corghi tire machine.
I have been doing my tires on it for myself since 02, and I have neve needed more than 20 grams to balance any tire.

Hmmmm, theres a yellow dot and its right next to the valve stem and thats where all the weights are to....thanks for that info cause now I'm gonna really give it to em when I go back down there sunday...what a bunch of retards, you would think they would know that
evil.gif

That is the heaviest part of the mold and should be placed directly across from the valve stem.
I have been doing my tires on it for myself since 02, and I have neve needed more than 20 grams to balance any tire.
Uh no...what you said is the complete opposite. The color mark is at the lightest point of the tire and is supposed to go next to the valve stem.

The valve stem isn't always the heaviest spot either so I recommend balancing the wheel itself first without the tire mounted to find the heavy spot and mark that. Then line up the dot on the tire with that mark.

Having the sprocket off isn't going to make a difference really and it's off centerline of the hub  . 2 1/2 ounces is a helluva lot . Sounds like he got the first weight in the wrong place and kept making up for his error . I hate having to use three 1/4 ounce weights on anything but that's the most I do .
At the end of the day (ride) tommorow I am going to take all the weights off and see how it is.  It could'ent be any worse than what this clown did.

I want to get one of those wheel balancer deals and learn to do it myself.  Does anyone know where a good place is to get one or what kind I should buy?    Thanks rydfree      
smile.gif
I have one of these:

kick ass balancer

And it works great.

If you're up to it, buy a harbor freight tire changer with motorcycle adapter kit and a couple of tire irons and rim protectors from Dennis Kirk. First time you change your own tires the equipment will have paid for itself. After that it's money in the bank.
Check Harbor Freight on a regular basis as they often go on sale. When I bought mine the local store had the tire changer on sale for something like $30 and their web site had the motorcycle kit on sale for $29. The store matched the internet price and I ended up paying around $60 total.

O.k. so the dot is in the right place but how he came up with all that weight I don't know cause its the first time I have ever had more than a 1/4 ounce on it

Uh no...what you said is the complete opposite. The color mark is at the lightest point of the tire and is supposed to go next to the valve stem.

The valve stem isn't always the heaviest spot either so I recommend balancing the wheel itself first without the tire mounted to find the heavy spot and mark that. Then line up the dot on the tire with that mark.
+1 The yellow spot should be the lightest spot on the tire.

At the end of the day (ride) tommorow I am going to take all the weights off and see how it is.  It could'ent be any worse than what this clown did.

I want to get one of those wheel balancer deals and learn to do it myself.  Does anyone know where a good place is to get one or what kind I should buy?    Thanks rydfree      
smile.gif
I have one of these:

kick ass balancer

And it works great.

If you're up to it, buy a harbor freight tire changer with motorcycle adapter kit and a couple of tire irons and rim protectors from Dennis Kirk.  First time you change your own tires the equipment will have paid for itself.  After that it's money in the bank.
Check Harbor Freight on a regular basis as they often go on sale.  When I bought mine the local store had the tire changer on sale for something like $30 and their web site had the motorcycle kit on sale for $29.  The store matched the internet price and I ended up paying around $60 total.
Awsome brother and thanks...thats what im gonna do...I need to be able to do it myself anyhow so I'm going to go ahead and get one...I have always been skeptical of just how good a job the shop was doing anyway
cool.gif

O.k. so the dot is in the right place but how he came up with all that weight I don't know cause its the first time I have ever had more than a 1/4 ounce on it
The tire may just be that far off balance. Did you buy it from him?
½ to 1 ounce is usually what I end up using. 2½ is insane and I think the tire manufacturer should replace the tire under warranty (if it's really that far off).

The tire may just be that far off balance.  Did you buy it from him?
½ to 1 ounce is usually what I end up using.  2½ is insane and I think the tire manufacturer should replace the tire under warranty (if it's really that far off).
Thats what I was wondering to, if the tire was just a bad one...ya, I bought it from him as well as his line that its O.K. I guess he has no clue about what he said "2 1/2 oz. is o.k." so I will get him to make it right.

Oh well, I learned alot from you guys tonight so its all good...and Thankyou
biggrin.gif

Back