eBay tire balancer part II...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
I finally pulled my front wheel tonight (while I was doing the Galfer SBK line install) and put it on the Magnum Balancer I got from eBay. This thing works GREAT! As for the bearing upgrade that justintime2 had added, I don't think it's really necessary. Mine has the standard bearings that normally come in the balancer and it was sensitive down to half a little 1/4 oz weight. Probably sensitive below that, but that's the increment my wheel/tire ended up needing (in addition to a few full size ones) to be balanced. Also, once I got it set up and squared up, the bearings never tried to work toward the sides. I don't think it's going to need anything in there to avoid that.

It's like this thing has no friction. If you spin it hard it will continue to spin for a LONG time before FINALLY coming to a stop. I learned to barely spin it to avoid waiting literally over a minute for it to stop when spun harder.
eek2.gif
Next set I change I'll do the wheels without tires as recommended in the literature and try to match the heavy spot on the tire with the light spot on the rim to avoid having to use so much (if any) weight.
wink.gif

I think this balancer just took the #1 spot as my favorite tool. The MightyVac comes in a close second though.
wink.gif

Here's a couple shots of the wheel/tire on the balancer...

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

wink.gif

BT - nice pics and thanks for the follow-up!
thumbs-up.gif

Gonna get me one now,Just to have around to doouble check them before putting back on the bike.

I just ordered mine yesterday after asking the seller several questions. He was very helpful. Seems like a real stand up guy. Are you using the equipment from harbor freight to remove/mount the tires to the rims?

I just ordered mine yesterday after asking the seller several questions. He was very helpful. Seems like a real stand up guy. Are you using the equipment from harbor freight to remove/mount the tires to the rims?
My transaction with him went extremely well. Very pleased with his customer service. And the product is great as well.
biggrin.gif

And yes I'm using the HF changer and motorcycle attachment. Also a good piece of equipment for the money.
wink.gif

ok im a tool freak and hate for anyone to work on my stuff.maybe its all thr cooly drugs, but can you give the info on how it works and how it tells you where you need weight bra?

Told ya it was nice!
smile.gif

As for that bearing upgrade...it's an anal retentive waste of time. You can spend all day balancing that tire to a fraction of a gram, first trip around town and it'll be off again just from the natural wear and tear occuring between the tire and pavement.

Sounds like I need to ask for this as a christmas gift. Always good to have a nice list ready.

May have to invest also.

<!--EDIT|flrider
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130946098 -->

My next mod to mine is gonna be installing some bubble levels on it.
Take your axle and wheel and spin it while holding it, now turn it to one side a tad. You will feel a pretty good pull.

Ive experimented and get a slighly better balance if the balancer is on a level floor.

Id also caution you guys , if you using too much more weight than what was on the wheel stock then something is probaby off. The odds are , if you take your time youll actually be able to use less weight over what it came with stock.

So whats the deal after a free spin where ever it stops is where it needs the weight applied on the "BOTTOM?", on one side or both? How do you know how much weight? trial and error? Thanks.

Bent valve any info on your "stand"? Nice set up.

Any pics of your tire changer and what accessories you got with it. If seen several, and all of them seem to have 2-3 add on parts,. Im just not sure what I need vs what is better to have?

Any pics
JD

Its trial and error and with experience you will get better and faster at it...it still takes me like 30 min + to balance a wheel but I am very anal about it.

I am a mechanic so I change my tires at work on the shops equipment...so sorry, I cant help you there.

They use this at work? Like the "station" look of it. I figure it cant be too hard to do, just wondering about the "details" of that particular balancing set up.

JD

Back