Looking for suggestions on how to control road rage

On occasion I have some issues with road rage. I take exception to other people endangering my life, on my bike or in my car, with crazy traffic maneuvers......and I've done some questionable things in retaliation. My wife says I shouldn't take it personal, but its hard to not take somebody cutting you off, and having to slam you're brakes on, and almost getting rear-ended in the process as not personal. I've promised my wife I'll work on the anger in traffic :laugh: Any tips from my busa brothers are appreciated :beerchug:

Get a bigger vehicle! Drive more Offensively!!!

The first step is to be aware of your emotional state. It really helps to physically smile as you utter a few choice expletives. It will defuse the situation for you. Realize that the other driver is probably having a bad day. Don't let them drag you down to their level.

I am a Martial Arts Teacher and a Christian.
thoughts-
Anger is an emotion and a good one. What we do with it is what makes us who we are.
Being angry and dwelling is worse. That fact that you are able to talk about it is a blessing. Be angry for a moment- pull of the road and relax and be thankful that you were protected at that very moment. It's not easy and people tell you not to be angry.Not letting it get the better of you is much better. Can't deny anger. Jesus was angry and overturned tables and yelled! Not saying to overturn the car that did it. ;) like I said, if needed pull off and be thankful for the moment you have to breathe. In time, it will become habit and you'll just forgive them.
Peace my friend, it will save you when you need it most.

crimson trace :whistle:

Photo6.jpg

but really i have bad anger management problems. and road rage is one of them. maybe your anger is stemming from other areas that need attention first and then can lessen your anger in the more minute details of your life.

Install a really loud air horn with a separate button, and let them know what you think of them when they do stupid things. They will pay attention.

Here is one bad boy. A bit pricey for $242, but that's what you pay for 152 db.

I_492223_CL_1.jpg

Acknowledge the anger and then observe it. Pick apart what is making you angry about the situation and then think about all the reasons the other person did something that made you angry. Maybe they were just being a douche, or maybe the driver behind him was waving a gun and he was trying to get away. Sometimes the anger will just go away by you figuring out why your angry, but the only way for you to get rid of the anger issue is to face it and face it often, even when it seems inconvenient to face it. The key is acclimation, another view from a martial artist.

It's a good thing homicide is generally frowned upon,or i'd have worn out a gun barrel by now(30 miles on the freeway every day).:beerchug:
I was going to question your mental state and offer counseling but then I noticed where you were.

Nevermind... carry on.

J/K

O.P.,
Try to remember that 90 out of 100 times the offending driver doesn't know what they did or have any clue the did anything wrong. Sort of makes most rants and rage pointless... what good is dressing someone down if they don't understand what you're yelling about. I know it's hard (me too) but you kinda have to force yourself to see past the moment.

OMG...you are dangerous on the road.

Probably you should just scold or swear it out loud from the confines of your helmet, instead of resorting to road rage.

It endangers yourself too, by doing silly actions on the road

Maturity..Grow up and see how pointless loosing your temper is. Remember Tempering is what makes steel strong. Dont be weak...dont loose your temper.

On occasion I have some issues with road rage. I take exception to other people endangering my life, on my bike or in my car, with crazy traffic maneuvers......and I've done some questionable things in retaliation. My wife says I shouldn't take it personal, but its hard to not take somebody cutting you off, and having to slam you're brakes on, and almost getting rear-ended in the process as not personal. I've promised my wife I'll work on the anger in traffic :laugh: Any tips from my busa brothers are appreciated :beerchug:

Step 1: Move to Montana - lowest population per square mile.
Step 2: Acquire 1000 acres on which to live and work.
Step 3: Get a LOCKING weapons cabinet, put everything that could be used in anger into the cabinet (I woudl need an entire room, perhaps a 2nd house :laugh:) and give the key to someone with a lesser propensity for, shall we say, unlawful justice. ;)
Step 4: Never, EVER, under any circumstances, drive anywhere EVER again. Simply hire a chauffeur to drive for you while you take a nap in the back seat, preferably blindfolded and wearing earplugs.

Best of luck!

In all seriousness, the best advice that I have is to consider your reaction BEFORE you allow it to occur. In virtually every instance of road rage, you are risking FAR more than you can possibly hope to gain. A partial list of things that most road rage behavior stands to gain and lose is as follows:

Potential Gain:
1) Emotional release
2) "Educating" a moron (kind of paradox there, doncha think?)
3) Satisfaction of beating some worm into the ground.
4) Demonstrating one's "Alpha-dogness" to the rest of the world.
5) Very, VERY small chance of inspiring better driving in that single driver in the future. Odds here are about 1M to one. Most drivers will just assume that you're wrong or crazy, regardless of how they respond to you.

Potential Loss:
1) Freedom: At worst, you can go to jail/prison. At best, you'll waste precious seconds of your life that could've been spent getting to where you wanted to go in the first place.
2) Property: They could rob, take your car, wallet and everything. There are road rage scams out there. They also might just drive into your vehicle in response to your rage. Remember, they could be raging as well.
3) Health: There's never a guarantee that you're gonna be bigger, stronger, faster, a better fighter or have the biggest knife or gun at the party. Gettin' hurt b/c you're mad that you ALMOST got hurt in traffic makes just about zero sense.
4) Life: Just like #3, only taken to the extreme. Don't think it can't happen.
5) Spouse, Children, Family, Friends: If you get killed or injured, it will affect the lives of EVERYONE with whom you interact. That's if you're lucky. If you're unlucky/FLAT stupid, and you pull a rage incident with others in your vehicle, you place their personal welfare in immediate jeopardy as well and it might be them that gets killed or injured. That would be about the worst outcome in my book.

Bottom line, you risk everything and stand to gain nothing. It's a sucker bet virtually EVERY time and, in spite of the emotion that we all get in these situations, you have to simply intellectualize the situation and choose to act accordingly. It also helps, I've found, to imagine that the other drive is a loved one...this helps provide you with a certain empathy toward the other driver and lets you think of their behavior as a mistake rather than as an attack.

Bottom line, be smart and choose wisely.

Best of luck!

Just my two cents as a safety trainer:

Slow down and change your driving habits. Will you never get cut off and mad in traffic? Maybe not, but please think about this:

If you practice good defensive driving, in your car and on your bike, you will be able to see most of what is about to happen in traffic. Always leave at least a 4 second following distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. I know some may say that cant be done, but yes it can, even in rush hour traffic.

Leave early if you have a timeline and need to be somewhere so you are not in a hurry. I used to have anger issues because I was always in a hurry and because I was in a hurry, I was tense. Things that happened made me more tense and pissed me off. That does not happen anymore.

Scan the road at least 15 seconds ahead of you and adjust your speed based on what you see. Red light coming up, slow down and try to not stop your vehicle. Try it and see how if works for you. Racing from stop light to stop light just makes you tense. By scanning the road 15 seconds ahead, you will have more time to make decisions, see which lane is the lane of least resistance, find yourself an out or a way around a large slow moving vehicle, find your exit or turn, and all of these things combined will make your drive much more enjoyable because you will more time to see things and make better decisions.

I hope some of these things help. Good luck.

Just my two cents as a safety trainer:

Slow down and change your driving habits. Will you never get cut off and mad in traffic? Maybe not, but please think about this:

If you practice good defensive driving, in your car and on your bike, you will be able to see most of what is about to happen in traffic. Always leave at least a 4 second following distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. I know some may say that cant be done, but yes it can, even in rush hour traffic.

Leave early if you have a timeline and need to be somewhere so you are not in a hurry. I used to have anger issues because I was always in a hurry and because I was in a hurry, I was tense. Things that happened made me more tense and pissed me off. That does not happen anymore.

Scan the road at least 15 seconds ahead of you and adjust your speed based on what you see. Red light coming up, slow down and try to not stop your vehicle. Try it and see how if works for you. Racing from stop light to stop light just makes you tense. By scanning the road 15 seconds ahead, you will have more time to make decisions, see which lane is the lane of least resistance, find yourself an out or a way around a large slow moving vehicle, find your exit or turn, and all of these things combined will make your drive much more enjoyable because you will more time to see things and make better decisions.

I hope some of these things help. Good luck.

Good post and I agree..

If you don't drive defensively, manage your space well, and/or speed you are a lot more likely to get cut off etc.

Here is Lamb's mindset when driving/riding. This car is gonna cut me off. This car on the left is just about to cut me off. This truck to the right is just about to cut me off. This car on the left is just about to cut me off. This person behind is just about to speed up to cut me off. This car pulling out from the side street is just about to pull right in front of me. This truck in front of me is just about to brake for no reason making a hole in front of him so somebody can cut him off. Using this mindset, it's amazing how many people don't cut you off. And when they do, it's not unexpected. Since you knew it was coming it doesn't bother you because it isn't unexpected.

repeat this statement to yourself..... "you can measure the size of a man, by the size of the things that make him mad"

Little men get mad over little things.

This is the best post of the bunch!

My input would be "Patience is a Virtue"!

It's nice to see your honesty. I'd suggest the comedy channels on satellite radio or the 50's channel. Can't be raged listening to doo wop! Try to think of a worst case scenario. The other person may be armed and use it on you or your family. One other thing. If there are witnesses a person may be dialing the police or video taping the event. Good luck! - Al

Back