How bad we look in traffic...

You can move out here, as they say, "We ain't got no traffic
laugh.gif
" , wild beasties running across the road YES, rattle snakes laying in the road at night to keep warm YES, along with the stray cow and buffalo crossing the roads
tounge.gif
! But NO TRAFFIC
biggrin.gif

most of us have done 140+ in traffic?  not I.  Maybe once or twice I've gone a LITTLE above 100 with any traffic.  man.  that's just beggin for a ticket.  You guys get away with that a lot?  I get ticketed if I sneeze funny
+1...I never do more than 5 or so over in traffic. I do my real speeding on one of the many long, straight, quiet, open backroads we have around here. A cager took me out once....they won't get a second chance. And the Busa's alot cheaper to insure without a bunch of wreckless drivings on your record
wink.gif

Doing the big triple in traffic, or even on a partially clear hwy is courting trouble, the man will eventually catch up to you.
I guess I am lucky to live near lake Tahoe and down towards Minden where there is an abundance of long straight away farming community roads that you can see ahead for miles! That's where me and my girl let it all hang out occasionally! And yes, it never ceases to fascinate me at speed, just how smooth and that amazing seeminly never ending power surge that begs to be challenged. My favorite is to be doing 90 in fourth gear, a speed where most vehicles of today start to peak and loose steam, then to smoothly roll on the throttle, tuck down and before you can wink twice, you're approaching 140 and beyond, given the space ahead......................I'm 62 and I'll never out grow it, I love this bike.
Not to steal this thread, but Pacemaster and I took a very memorable 300 mile round trip canyon burning adventure last Tuesday on some very scenic and semi-deserted logging roads up top in the Sierras..........man oh live, what trip that was! I had to order a new front tire when I got home, wore that baby down past the wear marks! The rear with only 2,500 on it is almost shot also! But who cares, this experience is worth every penny of maintenance cost! Did I already say I love this bike? Ok, Ok, I'm done, I get all fired up when I think about all this.......sorry!
Hey CC have you had your Busa down to Auburn or Sac yet? I could not believe the power increase you get going from Reno down to sea level  
wow.gif

tounge.gif

jump9.gif
I live north of Reno by the Cali border.....5100 ft elevation out here, and I was never completely satisfied with the power. But I never realized how much power we're losing at this elevation. I do now though  
biggrin.gif
and man do I miss it  
crazy.gif

There are some sweet top speed roads out my way, the next best thing to your own personal runway  
tounge.gif
they make 395 down through Minden look like LA rush hour they're so quiet. I took my wife from dead stopped to 150 for the first time (she's an adrenaline junkie...loved it  
wink.gif
) and when it was done she said "we got there that quick? its over?...lol (okay smartasses, have at it). And I eased into it ta' boot. We're so used to the speed we forget what slow's really like.

<!--EDIT|The Big Red One
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153459741 -->

tounge.gif

I didn't mean to accuse everybody of riding like an idiot, I more meant that we all(generalaztion) have likely blasted in, around or through traffic at some speed which likely caused somebody in a cage to soil themselves or just get plain pissed at anything on two wheels. I always ride faster than the traffic around me(not much but enough so I feel I have the edge in the situation) but save insanity for the backroads which is just as unsafe but more likely to kill "only" me and not a bunch of people around me if I blow it. I honestly hate riding the 3 or 4 lane highways unless they are deserted or I'm somplace desolate and I 'm running one or two exits and getting back off.

So I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Camaro where is that? I live about 10 minutes from Sturbridge at 20 and 84.

I merged into traffic the other day and jumped on the throttle. I probably hit triple digits doing it. This morning a guy did the same thing on 600 and I was like, " look at this f-ing idiot. The bike sounded like sh*t though
biggrin.gif

wow...left bike night last night on i-80 bro and i pushed it up to 170....we had gaps in the traffic...so time to accelerate and decel before back in traffic

I remember being handcuffed for 160+ in a 35 mph a few years back and the cop asking "what were you THINKING?!!!"

looking back....I know what I thought....."I'm not dead...so why did I stop?"

I've had way too many close calls to open it up in traffic. I'm usually a good boy in town and on any sort of major road (I have this strange aversion to tickets as well). I'll hit the backroads for my speed fix.

I remember being handcuffed for 160+ in a 35 mph a few years back and the cop asking "what were you THINKING?!!!"

looking back....I know what I thought....."I'm not dead...so why did I stop?"
HAHAHHA! that is a very good thought! did you tell that cop that? Back on the subject though: We all like doing it. The question is who's luckier and in the right situation to do it.

I go faster than traffic more for BEING SAFE, but also comes the fun of it. That's right, I repeat 'I go faster than surrounding traffic to BE SAFE.'. And since drivers in So. Cal tend to be more aggressive than others around the country, it's not uncommon for traffic to be doing around 85 or 90 mph in a good flow. So for me to be around the 20 mph faster, I'm commonly in the 100 or 105mph range.

I've hit 170 mph and held for a few minutes. 1 time was at 3 am on the 10 fwy for about 3 or 4 minutes for the then entire stretch of the carpool lane which was about 6 or 7 miles. Wow that stretch ended fast.

And only other time that I did and held for that long around 175mph was when I was riding down to San Diego and I made the mistake of drinking a whole can of Monster during the last gas stop and I had to URINATE REALLY REALLY REALLY bad. So that was a good 7 minute hold at that speed to the next rest stop. Could've sworn there were a lot of parked cages on the 5 freeway during that run. Nearly tipped my busa over trying to unsaddle fast enough without upsetting the bladder.

did that yesterday playing with a R6 did 130+ i know. But later on the way home a benz flew past me when i was going 125. gota love those 5.4 supecharged V8's.

had a few incidents here in mass. traveling 100 plus , and runnin up on a 'statey' and for wut ever reason they never gave chase......not that i would tried to split but they never even pulled off the grass
rock.gif
rock.gif

rock.gif

Traffic is not the place to play. Too much bad can happen. Find the proper road to have fun. Every state has them.

Grumpy is right - it's easy for bikes to look bad in traffic. Sport bikes whiz by me everyday on the way to work, but it's not just speed. A few years ago, while traveling in my cage I witnessed a 954 wheelie'ing at 65mph less than 10 feet behind the car in front of him. Luckily the cage driver didn't look in the rear view mirror, get spooked, and nail his brakes. At one point 954 pilot was wheelie'ing so close to the back of the cage that he could have landed his front wheel on the cage's trunk. My thoughts were; a very skilled rider ...with an IQ of a rock.

Truth is, the faster you go, or the more radical you drive your rocket, the more obvious you become; both to the public (as in: "And I was thinking what an idiot, traffic etc... "), and the cops (as in: "There's someone that doesn't need their drivers license"). You bascially stick out like a sore thumb.

Unfortunately, as we fly past the triple digit mark, reaction time has to continuously keep pace with the speed-o. That can be tough to do at triple digit speeds in a highly populated cage area's. (Hell, it can be tough to do at a track when everyone is traveling at approximately the same speed - much less passing mini-vans!) Something to keep in mind... at only 100mph the road is passing by at 121 feet per second. That doesn't leave much time to react, especially in close quarters.

It's tough for any sport bike pilot to keep all those ponies under control. It's a combination of human nature, and the nature of the beast. But hey, if we didn't want the power & speed, we'd all be on visiting scooters.org, right?

It's been my experience that (and this doesn't work for everyone) the older you get, the more common sense you tend to develop. Now-a-days I look for a [very] clear areas before twisting the grip. Less chance of getting hurt, hurting someone else, or getting hand-cuffed.

We own a machines designed specifically for high speed. We gonna speed? Yep! That's pretty much a given. IMHO, the key is to dial in some common sense and stack the odds in our favor. It's unfortunate but the unlucky and/or under-skilled have a tendency to eliminate themselves. Note my caption below.
cool.gif

I'm not going to contend that there aren't SQUIDS out on the road that does make the rest of us on 2 wheels look bad. In your example of citing that squid that was tailgating a cage at 65mph while doing a wheelie is a good example. Was it necessary? I can't see in whatever circumstance there is that was warrant it.

But there are times when it is necessary for speed. I think I presented some examples. True that as speed is increase so does the inverse of the reduction of reaction ability. But I know personally that I was rather take that chance to get in a clearing than be stuck in a pack of traffic waiting for some retarded cager to slam on their brakes for a 10 degree curve to get crushed in.

I guess it's a judgement call for each rider. I know I can rationalize my calls 99% of the time. As for the SQUIDs, other than them saying they want to show off like a bunch of sideshow clowns, I can't see their reasoning.

But on the flip side of the coin, we should pose the question of "How bad cages look in traffic to US". I've countless encounters with as*hole cagers that would put my life and those of ANYONE at risk on the road to defend their egos or "their" lane space. I know it can get as bad in other states, but none as treacheous as the So. Cal. would you see so much aggressive "I will not let you pass or get in MY lane" syndrome.

" I can't drive....... 155!!!!!!!..............." I couldnt figure how to make it look like a song....
sad.gif

Back