Avoiding traffic in So Cal

ChronosWS

Registered
I'm about halfway through my road trip now, and we are leaving San Diego for Arizona tomorrow. Next week we'll be heading back through California on the way back to Washington State. I'd like to avoid the traffic snarls which seem to plague all the cities along I5. Can anyone who is familiar with Southern California recommend suitable alternate routes to avoid these nasty traffic areas? I don't mind the long rides, but I do hate getting in slow or stop-and-go traffic. I'd rather take a longer route than have the aggrivation of traffic jams.

what parts of Ca are you going through? I remember a couple of back roads there but without knowing the areas your in don't do ya much good.

We will be coming back from Arizona, heading north through California to Washington. I don't care about the particular route we take, so long as it is relatively direct, and does not contain copious amounts of traffic.

Thinking about going from Phoenix through Wickenburg to I40, then across California to Barstow and Bakersfield, then taking 99 north to Sacramento. Will that avoid most of the nasty traffic in So Cal?

take I10 west to exit 45 i think, and turn right to az71 or az72 (?)then turn left and it takes u into parker, go up thru lake havasu and it brings u out on I40 at xit9. jump on I40 and head west to barstow, take 58 north towards bakersfield then pick up the 99 and on up to sac to I5. bext way to avoid the traffic in LA. OR u can go up 93 right into vegas pick up 95 and go into reno NV, then pick up the 395 which will bring u up to around mt shasta then jump on I5.. the second one is actuallly shorter, more scenic, but this time of year u got the snow when u get up closer by reno. so its all a trade off.

hope this helps.

<!--EDIT|briXXer
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101576742 -->

welcome to California. no traffic in socal is like no potholes in New York. good luck

Chronos, starting north on 99 north of the Grapevine (Bakersfield) is not considered SoCal anyway and until you're in Sacramento you won't have any traffic problems except for maybe farm implements. Stick to the two lanes as far as you can. Most of them are rider friendly. You'll be missing out on the coast hiways 1 and 101 if you veer north so soon out of AZ though. You can ride west across 46 and head north on 1 at the Pacific just below the Castle and its a great ride thru Big Sur and Carmel and Santa Cruz and...see what I mean?
biggrin.gif

Back