Over heating in traffic

Interesting water wetter info.

No bike is designed to sit in traffic for extended periods. The above mentioned solutions all help but at the end of the day the only true solution is moving air through the radiator. My 03 overheated one time after I sat in traffic for a while then stopped for gas (letting the bike heat soak I presume) and then jumped right back into traffic! I then swapped out the stock coolant for 50/50 Havoline Dexcool/Water with Water Wetter and now the bike never sees more than half scale on the temp gauge.Good stuff and reasonably priced since you are supposed to change it every two years anyway. Stay cool!

ENGINE ICE,  drops the temp by 50 degrees.

megawatt, how does water cool better?  It has a lower boiling point that coolant/antifreeze does
It has to due with the surface tension of the glycol (anti-freeze) being harder than that of water, in other words the same principle that makes water "hard" when you hit it with force (i.e. jumping off a bridge/high dive) helps determine the thermal transfer property of the fluid. Glycol surface tension > water surface tension = glycol does not absorb/transfer heat as readily. Water wetter contains salts and minerals in it which help lower the surface tension of water to enable more efficent heat transfer out of the block and into the radiator. Engine Ice is the same principle just premixed glycol, water and salts. The only purpose of putting glycol in your cooling system is that it has a higher boiling point than water and it has additives to prevent corosion.

NM someone posted the info, I should have read farther down
face7.gif

I had the problem in NC/VA with the stock setup. I changed out to engine ice and that was all (no fan change) and now mine never goes above 1/2 way on the gauge
cool.gif

Today it was humid and in the mid/upper 90s on the ride, plenty of "bad air" to ride in with traffic and my gauge was 1/2way between the bottom and mid way point
beerchug.gif

engine ice and a muzzy fan works for me my temp gage never goes any farther than half way point and it gets pretty hot in KS

mine has always hated sitting in traffic. You can also heat wrap your headers. but it does reduce the life span of the headers by I think 10%. It's suppose to give you a little more hp too by keeping all the heat in so it can escape faster.

1. Use water and watter wetter, you dont need anti-freeze in the Summer.  Water will cool more.  Just remember to replace before freezing temps.

2. Get a Muzzys aluminum fan from cloud 9 motorsports site sponsor.  It moves way more air for better cooling and is lighter than stock plastic.

It was 108F three weeks ago here, my busa did fine in city driving and that was before the fan upgrade on a stock bike.
+1

Back