over heating problem??????

ham4864

Registered
i brought my bike 06 used,it had no thermostat in it so i brought a thermostat it says 82 degrees c on it.i put it in with the pointed side facing out. Now the bike over heats if i sit in traffic to long. i have a manual fan switch so i just use that
to bring the temp. back down. My fan does come on with out me using the switch but for like 6 sec. and cut back off.

what to do or check.

Might have a bad temp switch. You can buy an infered temperature gauge to see at what temp it cuts on/off at.. The Gen 1's will overheat when sitting in traffic so guys have added another fan to them..

+1 I had the same problem. Was low on coolant and overflow hose clamp on top of radiator wasnt tight. Put in more Engine Ice, Tighted clamp and a new Radiator cap its back to normal..

Bruh, do a search on the subject! Everything above is correct! I installed a second fan with wet wetter. No problem since...!

Saw an infrared temp gauge for $29 in one of the Harbor Freight mags. Anyway these bikes run warm to hot especially in traffic. Hopefully you got her straightened out.

I've never had an overheating problem with my bike, na or turbo. Is the light actually going off? If its climbing above the half way mark that isn't overheating. Just wondering what the actual symptoms are.

yea the red light light is coming on.But does it matter if i have a t-stat for a 05 and i have a 06.

Did you "burp" the system when you filled it back up after putting in the t-stat?
Check the temp switch on the fan, shutdown after 6 sec. doesn't sound right.
If that's good then I'd start small and replace the coolant with Engine ICE or something like that, then move on to fans.

To burp the system rock the bike side to side. I leaned it over as far as I could without dropping it.
I also squeezed a little on the lower hose.
Do that, top it off then run it until the fan comes on, indicating that it's heated up enough for the t-stat should have opened and allowed the coolant to start circulating. Shut it down and re-check coolant levels in both radiator and overflow bottle. Top off if needed.

burp the system the same as you do in a car. get bike sitting level. open radiator cap, overflow cap. start bike. let run add coolant to keep level up...when bubble stop it has been burped. I rev slightly only about500-1000rpm just to make sure no bubble were hidding, then recheck level. add coolant as needed. let bike cool then chekc level again.

Might take awhile some harder to burp cars/ bike i let run for a long time till gets hot and fans kick on. then cap the tanks and run awhile longer just to make sure it doesnt over heat. Biggest thing i found was to let it cool like i said before and check the level in both tanks. Sometimes the air pockets will work themself to the top in the cooling time it takes to cool down

Last edited:
Ham, just a suggestion, download the manual for your bike from the forum in case anything else comes up.. The lower hose should have fluid in it and be soft unless bike is hot.. You can run the bike after filling it with the cap off till you see the fluid go by the opening then you know the T-stat opened. Also when the light comes on where is the gauge pointing?

Back