anybody gotta problem with this ?

bigeasy

Registered
ok so i did the cooling upgrade added a 2nd fan n a lower degree thermostat. 2005 btw. before i replaced the fairings started her up. ran perfect fans kicked on at appropriate temp needle stayed steady as a rock. shut her down put all the fairings back on. gave her a good waxing. when i started her this am fans come on at start n stay on till turned off. so wiring issue. my question is can i let it go like this for a while ? im inda deep south its pretty warm so fans on all the time cant hurt can it ?

Just hurt the fans. Don't think they were designed to run all the time. Still I would be worried about that and start the routine - thermastat check, etc.

Having the fans on all the time is not good.
if you are slow rolling or stoped its OK.
If you are on the freeway and or moving semi fast the fans actually can slow airflow down if they are on.
Ron

If you are on the freeway and or moving semi fast the fans actually can slow airflow down if they are on.
Ron

Ohhh so I guess cars that had the radiator cooling fan ran off the pulley rather then electric fans over heated? Wrrrrrong!

You will be fine running the fans until you fix your wiring issue. The fans are pulling air over the motor driving the fans so no worries my friend. Ride on worry free.

that was my biggest concern the battery drain issue n the amp theyll steal from the starter. as to the wireing i mated the wires from the 2ndry fan to the ones from the original fan then hoohed them directly into the plug to the sensor. i did have alotta issues getting the connectors from the old plug(that go to sensor)out of their housing to plug inta the new sensor. i tried to pull em out push em out ended with chopping the hard plug up with wire cutters until i could get the 2 plugs out to put into heat wrap n plug to new sensor. guess ill tryn get at em thru the vent right there n replace those 2 skinny female connectors.

That was my thought...long idles or slow speeds might see more draw on the battery

Yeah i think it would drain the battery and also you gotta figure those fans and motors werent meant to run continously so I forsee problems after a few long rides :whistle:

A buddy ran a 2nd fan on his TLR, had to pop start him a number of times, battery just wasnt up to it, different bike than the Busa, but Id get it sorted sooner than later

Does anybody know if the Gen II fans draw less current, or does the Gen II stator put out more power? I'd like to go with a 2nd fan but not too fond of running a battery down.

Does anybody know if the Gen II fans draw less current, or does the Gen II stator put out more power? I'd like to go with a 2nd fan but not too fond of running a battery down.
A second fan shouldn't be an issue, unless both fans run continuously. Someone else posted a similar issue. He's looking at the fan relay. I'm curious if the Gen I fan relay can handle the second fan.

ok guys ive rewired n double checked all my connections n as soon as i turn on the ignition both fans run continuously. when i first tried it fans didnt come on till it reached temperature but as it was sitting in garage they never went off until i shut it down. the next time i tried it fans on with ignition.could the brand new schnitz sensor have gone bad ?

ok guys ive rewired n double checked all my connections n as soon as i turn on the ignition both fans run continuously. when i first tried it fans didnt come on till it reached temperature but as it was sitting in garage they never went off until i shut it down. the next time i tried it fans on with ignition.could the brand new schnitz sensor have gone bad ?

im wondering what the temp setting is at for the fans to come on....if im reading it right it sounds like you need to let the bike cool down before you start it back up again....but to me it sounds like the temp setting for the fans to come on is a bit low.

Ron

Good catch with this one. This is the exact problem the 2001 and newer Goldwings were having when the bike was moving at parade speed (like a toys for tots ride). The fans would come on as the bike heated up due to the low air flow as designed. The problem was that the new Goldwings fans pushed the air forward over the radiator and the forward progress of the bike tried to flow air backward and they would tend to cancel each other out. The bike would then overheat quite quickly.

There was a recall on this that changed the ECU which had altered timing and it would let the bike run cooler at lower speeds so the issue wasn't as critical. Some people changed the airflow by altering the fans so they sucked the air through the radiator in the same direction as the air flow being generated by the bikes forward motion. I had a 2001 wing but sold it soon after the recall so I wasn't concerned with it but I could see it as a serious problem in heavy traffic.

I've always wondered if this effect could be why so many people run into overheating when they go down to Daytona during bike week and get stuck in all the traffic.

I'd put a meter on the temp switch and see if it's shorted. If not see if the connection comes alive around the set temperature. Have you tried unplugging one of the wires from the temp switch while the bike is running?

Fans typically draw about 60 watts. As long as you are not running other accessories, and you keep the RPM's up, the stator can keep up with the demand. I would get it fixed quickly though.

Fans that are attached to a pulley have a clutch on them in cars, they are not spinning 100% all the time.
When the fan spins fast it flatens out the blades which in turns moves less air.

ok so theres always a solution ive wired in a toggle switch so fans off until i want em on then flick a switch n super cool in effect

Back