over heat woes

fsubob2003

Registered
Just got my 2000 busa together last week. Took it out for a ride about 20 miles and everything went good. Then yesterday I took it out for a short ride a mile or two and really cranked the throttle and bike sputtered a little and the shut off. I looked and the temperature gauge was pegged. Then it would not turn over the starter would not even click.

I let it cool off and the gauge went back down and it cranked back up then I drove a bout 10 feet and it shut off again and would not start temp pegged again. I had to trailer it home.

Did some searching and tried to pump bubbles out of the system and did not get any. Let the bike run with the radiator cap off in the garage and let it boil some of the water out then shut it off and refilled it. Bike has been sitting for about an hour and the temp gauge is still pegged and it will not turn over. It is a Euro busa if that makes any difference.

Anyone out there ever had this before? I checked the fan plugs and fuses and everything seems fine.

Are the fans turning on when the temp starts to get up there? If they're not ever coming on that where to start.

starter would not even click? maybe you have an electrical issue... double check your cables at battery and on the motor itself.. a mile or 2 is not far enough to really overheat (well at least here where it is 50 degrees) If the bike is moving, the fans only do minimal good anyway..

Air in the motor could cause a lock in the system... just curious that it will not click or turn over..

Ok after getting stranded a few times I narrowed it down to an electrical issue. There is something in the wiring a short or bad connection that is causing it to appear to over heat but it is not really overheating.

It broke down on me again today and while I was waiting on someone to pick me up I started playing with the wiring below the gauges to the left side of the tank and heard something click a couple of times under the seat and my temp gauge went back to normal. Does anyone know which plug operates the temp gauge and would cause this? Evidentily it makes the bike think it is overheating and it goes into protection mode and keeps the starter from kicking over.

The fan works great when the engine is actually hot but the problem is the engine has not been hot enough the times the temp gauge has pegged for the fan to come on. Any ideas... I have unplugged and replugged all the harnesses and nothing appears to be wrong.

Thanks for the comments...

sounds like an electrical problem.mabey temp sending sensor or somewhere in that general area.loose wires to the connections for the sensor.also cooling fan sensor loose wires,bad sensor.if i were having these problems i would check all connectors for loose wires in the plugins and use some dielectric grease on each connector and go from there.  good luck ps also sounds like the bikes whole electrical system is not grounded correctly.check main power supply and ground wires.

Back