How bad we look in traffic...

DNGrumpy

Sometimes Dopey fits too
Donating Member
Registered
I was on 91 North in CT last night in my wife's PT at around 8pm on my way to Bradley international to p/u my wife, I was doing about 80 and this guy on a not even sure what kind blue and white bike goes by in the Diamond lane at what I'm guessing had to be 140+. And I was thinking what an idiot, traffic etc... But I've done it and so have most of us. It just looked weird from the other side (in the cage). And then the second one goes by trying to catch the first one I'm sure (don't know what it was either, it's really hard to tell at speed).

Maybe just cause work sucked this week, it's been over 90 inside everyday and the days feel like 20 hours instead of 9 or 10.

Bummer... I probably would have joined the chase had I been on the bike without a second thought.

That's all, Grump

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

cool.gif

cool.gif

my bike has been down for repair for a couple weeks now and i see it as well. last nigt all my buddies left bike night over in manchester and blew by me in my car, some doing wheelies and such, zipping in and outta traffic...

usually im in front of all them and they are playing catch up lol. its wierd seeing things from the "other side"

hey man, we should ride sometime. i live in broad brook , go to the gym over in Enfield!

most of us have done 140+ in traffic? not I. Maybe once or twice I've gone a LITTLE above 100 with any traffic. man. that's just beggin for a ticket. You guys get away with that a lot? I get ticketed if I sneeze funny

most of us have done 140+ in traffic?  not I.  Maybe once or twice I've gone a LITTLE above 100 with any traffic.  man.  that's just beggin for a ticket.  You guys get away with that a lot?  I get ticketed if I sneeze funny
*this is just a story, none of it is true*

I know a guy... he is constantly bouncing off the rev limiter in 5th/6th exceeding 180/190 mph almost on a daily basis on public roads. stupid yes, but he's having fun. Wheelies are plenty, blowing by cars at insane speeds on one wheel, throwing his busa into the corners like there is no tomorrow, etc etc. Yea 140+, 160+ on a daily basis really.... good times good times.

*i dont know this guy, just something i was told by another guy*

race.gif

I am with WWJD 140 in traffic??? Sorry but i am not part of that "most of us" crowd either. Sounds pretty dangerous to me.

I was on 91 North in CT last night in my wife's PT at around 8pm on my way to Bradley international to p/u my wife, I was doing about 80 and this guy on a not even sure what kind blue and white bike goes by in the Diamond lane at what I'm guessing had to be 140+.  And I was thinking what an idiot, traffic etc...  But I've done it and so have most of us.  It just looked weird from the other side (in the cage).  And then the second one goes by trying to catch the first one I'm sure (don't know what it was either, it's really hard to tell at speed).  

Maybe just cause work sucked this week, it's been over 90 inside everyday and the days feel like 20 hours instead of 9 or 10.  

Bummer...  I probably would have joined the chase had I been on the bike without a second thought.

That's all, Grump
I have been 140+ a few times, but on back roads not around traffic. I did it once on the highway following a friend on a 1000 gsxr and had a zx10 behind me. We had a porsche messing with us and we decided to leave him in the dust. Only lasted a couple minutes then back down to highway speeds. Was a part of the road with wide curves and was an adenaline rush. But it was after midnight and very few cars on the road. Not to say that made it ok. Still hard to believe how smooth a Busa is at such high speeds. Makes it hard not to hit 3 digits once in a while. If you listen you can hear her begging for it.

There is a time and place for everthing.
I've gotten him up to 150.. but on a deserted 5 mile long bridge.
I've done a 80 mph blip to get around a dummy on the highway.
I've passed a few cars after downshifting and hit 90-95 mph.
I ain't no sissy-girl..
tounge.gif

But those azzhats that fly in and out of traffic, pulling stunts at every light? They are just asking for trouble.. be it tickets or accidents.

Just plain ignorant.
wow.gif

As LH said, there is a time and a place for everything. To me traffic is not the place to hit triple digits and so I don't do it.

There is a time and place for everthing.
I've gotten him up to 150.. but on a deserted 5 mile long bridge.
I've done a 80 mph blip to get around a dummy on the highway.
I've passed a few cars after downshifting and hit 90-95 mph.
I ain't no sissy-girl..
tounge.gif

But those azzhats that fly in and out of traffic, pulling stunts at every light? They are just asking for trouble.. be it tickets or accidents.

Just plain ignorant.
wow.gif
Ya! SOMEONE is the cyclist we read or hear about that ends up in the hospital or dead on public roads with traffic.... I GUARENTEE you it will NEVER be me. That's by my CHOICE, not luck or skill. I've discovered I get to do a lot more riding when I'm not dead

With these idiots around here it would be impossible to hit triple digits. I have a hard enough time trying to contend with the Sunday evening drivers throughout all times of the weekday. Also the fact that I am always guaranteed one cager to cut right in front of me at any moment. These folks can not drive around here and I am not concerned with speed but with safety in the city.

As for the interstate I will hit triple digits and then get back down to around 80 mph.

Doing the big triple in traffic, or even on a partially clear hwy is courting trouble, the man will eventually catch up to you.
I guess I am lucky to live near lake Tahoe and down towards Minden where there is an abundance of long straight away farming community roads that you can see ahead for miles! That's where me and my girl let it all hang out occasionally! And yes, it never ceases to fascinate me at speed, just how smooth and that amazing seeminly never ending power surge that begs to be challenged. My favorite is to be doing 90 in fourth gear, a speed where most vehicles of today start to peak and loose steam, then to smoothly roll on the throttle, tuck down and before you can wink twice, you're approaching 140 and beyond, given the space ahead......................I'm 62 and I'll never out grow it, I love this bike.
Not to steal this thread, but Pacemaster and I took a very memorable 300 mile round trip canyon burning adventure last Tuesday on some very scenic and semi-deserted logging roads up top in the Sierras..........man oh live, what trip that was! I had to order a new front tire when I got home, wore that baby down past the wear marks! The rear with only 2,500 on it is almost shot also! But who cares, this experience is worth every penny of maintenance cost! Did I already say I love this bike? Ok, Ok, I'm done, I get all fired up when I think about all this.......sorry!

Sounds like a good time for a confessional.

Last night I was riding home in traffic after a long hot particularly fruitless day at the office. I ride this route every day as it’s the only way on or off the small Island I live on. Well after following traffic for a while and getting stuffed more than a few times I spot a hole in traffic. So I grab a few gears and gouge on it to pass a few of these cars. Well a few cars turned into about eight and as I closed rapidly on the eighth car I realized that there was a turn lane on the right so I ducked into the turn lane and passed a few more at probably 95mph+… All without thinking! I suddenly realized what I had just done and started immediately pummeling myself internally. “What the heck were you thinkingâ€￾? “You live here and now these people think you’re an A-hole at best you idiotâ€￾! “You could have caused an accidentâ€￾! I then decided it was best to notch it back a few and take some side roads to wind down a bit and separate myself from the traffic I abhor so much and just settle down a bit. Suddenly I see a small White tail Spike (deer) standing along side the road. He of course decided it was a good Idea to dart in front of me and only when he was about 6 feet away did he think better of it and turn back, but not before scaring the (expletives deleted) out of me. I was just going no way this is happening man. So I keep riding at about the speed limit the rest of the way home only to find that the road department had repaved the road next to my place today. So now my bike is covered in tar and loose gravel, my BP is through the roof and I am in no mood for much more. I went in and popped a cold beer and sat down to reflect on what a turn of events had just unfolded. I never ride like that! Especially not in traffic! Especially not in my own back yard! I make no excuse for my actions other than to chalk it up to really bad judgment. So today I left the bike home to force myself into a somewhat more tranquil (4 wheeled) mode for the impending evening commute. I was an idiot and I have learned a valuable lesson from it. My actions are inexcusable and you have my apology as a fellow motorcyclist!

Back