Stripped pinch bolt...looking for suggestions

III

Registered
In the process of taking the front wheel off to get the tire replaced and stripped one of the pinch bolts on the front fork. Like an idiot, I kept going and rounded it pretty good thinking I could get it. Any suggestions on what to do from here? Maybe some small vice grips? Drill it out?

Stripped bolt.jpg

If it still has a head on it, dremal a slot.into it and use a flat blade screw driver to remove it.

Droid via Tapatalk

Decided to run up to 'Ol Trusty (a.k.a. Harbor Freight) and found a set of bolt extractor sockets. Was a little skeptical that they'd work...but got home, stuck it on, started to turn, and it came off with ease. In fact, I can't get the bolt outta the socket yet! :cheerleader: Highly recommended. They truly do bite into the bolt.

Thanks fellas for the input. I started panicking because stripped bolts always give me drama.

IMG00094-20110520-1817.jpg

IMG00095-20110520-1818.jpg

Glad you got it out.

Thanks! You and me both.

Now...what are the odds they have a replacement at the dealership??

Guess I'll find out when I take the tire in tomorrow morning.

I learned my lesson to use sockets when trying to loosen factory tightened (locktite) bolts, if the option is there. I'm guessing my individual 10mm wrench is in need of replacement since nearly everything on Suzuki's are 8 or 10mm. Probably wore it out when I was fighting the carbs on my old Katana. :whistle:

I have a set of those, works great been had my set for over a year. Has never failed me since i've been using them.

Decided to run up to 'Ol Trusty (a.k.a. Harbor Freight) and found a set of bolt extractor sockets. Was a little skeptical that they'd work...but got home, stuck it on, started to turn, and it came off with ease. In fact, I can't get the bolt outta the socket yet! :cheerleader: Highly recommended. They truly do bite into the bolt.

Thanks fellas for the input. I started panicking because stripped bolts always give me drama.

this is definately the way to go

My '14 V Strom has this same problem - L side inner pinch bolt seized in place

IMG_5757.jpeg

• Extractor socket failed
  • Extractor set (Speed Out) failed
  • Impact driver failed
  • Dremeled slot (+ impact) failed
  • Heat + lube failed.
  • Pounding on it with hammer & chisel failed.
Trying heat + lube one more time and if no go, I am drilling this bolt completely out.
Pointers, anyone??

[EDIT] The head in the pic looks worse now ...

Last edited:
My '14 V Strom has this same problem - L side inner pinch bolt seized in place

View attachment 1636977
  • Extractor socket failed
  • Extractor set (Speed Out) failed
  • Impact driver failed
  • Dremeled slot (+ impact) failed
  • Heat + lube failed.
  • Pounding on it with hammer & chisel failed.
Trying heat + lube one more time and if no go, I am drilling this bolt completely out.
Pointers, anyone??

[EDIT] The head in the pic looks worse now ...
IMG_5775.jpeg

Bolt EXTRACTED. No damage to threads
Tiny drill bit into bolt center, then larger, then larger, then that extractor bit - by hand ... presto chango, like it never happened

Back