Hawaii's best road

super.gif

that r1 vid with the music, and the infront of shield view...priceless.
beerchug.gif

thanks.

Its been a long time since I was in Hawaii, I see that no one has mentioned the Tantalus Drive near Diamond Head on Oahu.... that was some fun times...too bad they closed Raceway

Im taking a Hawaii cruise in a month and I get to visit almost every island. I have never been to Hawaii or any tropical place. The thing is I was thinking about renting a bike while im there. Unfortunatley my wife wants to ride with me and she wants a comfy seat. I already tried talking her into a fjr1300 but she saw a pic of it and said no. So Im limited to a goldwing or some slow harley cruiser. Question is...is it worth it? Should I do it or spend time doing somthing else? What roads on what islands would be good for a long ride with little traffic? The only cruiser I ever drove was a 1986 goldwing when me and my dad swapped bikes for 20 miles last summer. what do you guys think?

(DeermeetBusa @ Feb. 21 2007,08:12) Im taking a Hawaii cruise in a month and I get to visit almost every island. I have never been to Hawaii or any tropical place. The thing is I was thinking about renting a bike while im there. Unfortunatley my wife wants to ride with me and she wants a comfy seat. I already tried talking her into a fjr1300 but she saw a pic of it and said no. So Im limited to a goldwing or some slow harley cruiser. Question is...is it worth it? Should I do it or spend time doing somthing else? What roads on what islands would be good for a long ride with little traffic? The only cruiser I ever drove was a 1986 goldwing when me and my dad swapped bikes for 20 miles last summer. what do you guys think?
Hey Paul, the only place I would ride would be the Big Island of Hawaii. Kauai and Maui owuld be ok but the traffic has been crazy the last coiple years and it's not legal to lane split. You can probly only rent from Kona or Hilo Harley Davidson. Saddle road or Kohala mountain rd would be best but they are doing some road construction up there. I was there last month and it wasnt a problem. The views and the ride are awesome. Even though it's warm or even hot at sea level take a jacket & gloves as you may be as high as 9K feet and it gets a little cool. Another great site seeing ride would the Volcano National Park. Dont speed in the park the fines are hefty.

http://www.konaharleydavidson.com/rentals.html

Or see my friend Ellsworth at Hilo
http://www.recdealers.com/motorcycledealers/hi/motorcycledealers05.htm

Check the weather before you head up and take it easy as it can be slippery even if a lil wet.

There's no lid law in Hawaii but I would wear one anyway, and lastly you could rent moped/scooters and have a blast around town and the beach.

Check Hawaii.com for cool stuff to do.

Have Fun!
super.gif

+1 on what Kento said...would only consider Big Island for renting a motorcycle...and bring some cool weather gear (windbreaker/sweatshirt)...it's cold up in them there hills.

Wife and I rented a Jeep instead for convenience. We left week before the earthquakes hit...whew.

Ferry the Busa over to Maui and take the road to Hana...
The wildest road in the World according to most who have traveled it...

David

You said "Saddle road or Kohala mountain rd would be best but they are doing some road construction up there. I was there last month and it wasnt a problem." This seems like a contridiction...road construction seems like a problem to me. So what road is having construction done...please clarify. Thanks.

(DeermeetBusa @ Feb. 23 2007,01:56) You said "Saddle road or Kohala mountain rd would be best but they are doing some road construction up there. I was there last month and it wasnt a problem." This seems like a contridiction...road construction seems like a problem to me. So what road is having construction done...please clarify. Thanks.
The construction they are doing in the area is cutting and re-alining a new road so the bulldozers and trucks are off to the side. You can see the road work but it isnt on the main road except for a couple spots of about 100 yards or so.

You can check with Hawaii county police dept before heading up there and probly the rental place will give the word too.

Ride on Brah!
super.gif

Back