Zx-14

Saxoplay

Donating Member
Registered
I know we're probably all tired of zx-14 posts. But, after seeing one in person today I have to say the pictures don't do it justice! It is a very nice looking machine, George Forman grills and all! This particular one was black. They don't look half bad. The seating position seemed good (didn't sit on it). The dash was nice as well.

We tried talking the owner into hitting a favorite spot of ours to do some comparisons (top gear roll ons...etc) but unfortunatly he wasn't willing to play. However, on the freeway back to town, my buddy (who also rides a busa) got into it a little with the 14. He ended up going around the 14 at a 1xx_mph (classified!). The 14 was pretty dang fast....probably faster than what we saw....I got the impression that the owner was a bit tentative and reluctant to really open it up for some reason. I'd love to see it really opened up against the busa. All in all, I have to say I wouldn't mind having it in my garage (though, I think I'm going to hold out and see what Suzuki has in store for the '07 busa!)
smile.gif

I saw one yesterday. I really did not care for it at all, especially the Foreman grill

I got the impression that the owner was a bit tentative and reluctant to really open it up for some reason. [/QUOTE]

I know the feeling....
race.gif

I'm getting better through.

Man this thing's a beast.
super.gif

I think they look ok. Maybe the guy was still breaking it in, according to the owners manual. They will probably start showing up @ bike nights soon.

They might be a little faster for the rest of this year, but I'm sure the 2007 will bring on a 1400 busa with huge Hp. Yesterday we did a 850km run with speeds generally 220 -260kph, open roads, twisties etc.lots of Sunshine. It will be hard to beat the Busa for this type of riding.

I saw one and sat on it also. I agree it's not a bad looking scoot. Felt lighter than the Busa also. But for 11,800 they can keep it.
biggrin.gif

they do look better in person, but still not a Busa. there is a blue one here now we met the owner, he even likes the Busa better, but he wants to see what the next Busa will be, if he likes it he said he'll trade the 14 for the New Busa.

I saw a Red one yesterday at out local Kaw dealer and found out my ex-drag racing partner had bought it ! So, I'll wait until he test it (and believe me he WILL test it) and find out how well he likes it. He had a 12 but got rid of it because (as he told me) it was the MOST uncomfortable bike he had ever ridden. He also has my old GPz 1100 which he turbo'ed  
wow.gif
! Anyway, the bike looks OK in person, but I still think it looks like a 80"s retro and not (to me anyway) very appealing !
wink.gif

They can't keep them on the floor here. Everytime I go to the shop, they are gone. They just placed an order for more Busa's and ZX14's. I want to see one in person rather than in pics. They are kinda growing on me. The new ZX6 looks a lot like the 14.

I saw a ZX-14 at the NYC Cycle World show, and it looked pretty decent. I think it's good to have some competition. But on looks, I think the Busa's got the edge, no doubt. Really unique styling.

Saw one today. Looked much better in person, but the grills got to go. Its very comfortable to sit on, I'd love to take one for a spin.

You traitors!!!
cool.gif
Just kidding
The ZX14 seems  ok, but its incredible how a bike manufactured in 2006 still has a lot to proove against our 1999 work of art, don't you agree?

Busa rules!
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Busarookie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147905250 -->

I went over to my Buds house to look at the bike along side my Busa. Impression
rock.gif
, build quality isn't up to Suzuki and way below Honda. Quality of parts and finish is also below both S and H. So the built is I would say the same basic Kaw quality, fit and finish. Good but not great or (to me anyway) pleasing. The parts and plastic just look cheap
sad.gif
. I want know until the temps build up, but the cut radiator and engine cut outs are HUGE by Busa standards. My thinking is ALOT of heat is going to come out of those vents. But, on the good side you sit futher back, so it might be OK. Sides seem to have alot more room under them than the Busa, and the exhaust pipes (front of bike) are in the direct lower air vent opening. Again, this just looks cheap to me
sad.gif
 and gives it an unfinished look . My Bud, the Mechanic of Mechanics (and a sworn to the death Kaw guy
laugh.gif
) really likes what he sees and says it's more comfortable than this old ZX12R (which I had to go to Tulsa and ride back because he was in sooooo much pain from riding it over) . It does look longer than the Busa, but that might just be a vision thing. Over all, to me it just doesn't compare with the Busa in looks, quality or fit and finish. There's just no way I would consider it over a Busa for any reason, and I'am proud to not only say that, but riding along side a 14 is his unfortunate problem. Because there is just no choice for me but the Busa. Just looks CHEAP to me even if it can go .00000002 sec faster.  
race.gif

sad.gif

There's little doubt that Kaw came out swinging with some hard hits on the 13.5s engine design/power and...while I agree that the black one looks better than the red or blue?...I still say that kaw pulled the design engineers that conjured up the old "AMC Pacer" out of retirement for their fairing/styling and then added "Ridges" everywhere for that "Jetsons Like" aero-dynamic appearance all while being directed by kaw to try to reincarnate the old ZX-11 Ninja motiff...raised chrome/plastic emlems and 80's style seating and all.....a style which imho was best off left where it belongs....in the past..and woe be to the crazy asian design engineer who thought it a good idea to "Go with a retro Look" on kaws latest, badest, Tour De'Force Beast of a Land Missile to pit against the mighty and well seated Hayabusa...if anything?...the appearance should've been PAST "Up To Date" with a new, modern dynamic look...and it's going to be a sin that they put so much effort into a super powerful, ultra-smooth engine with a seemingly indestructable clutch and then suffer low sales over appearance cause 50%+ of the potential buyers can't stomach "The Look".

I sat on one in daytona and wiggling it between the legs it felt pretty light and comfy (due to the narrower seat) but other than that?...I had a bud balance me upright so as I could put both feet on the pegs and the ergo's felt extremely busa'ish...but outward appearance stunk of cheap build quality everywhere I looked..and the bike has a face only a mother could love.

I have a bit of a legal settlement coming my way....and the only thing that makes me happy about the ZX-14?...is the fact that it'll make my next slighty used busa far less expensive to aqquire..as I want to keep my current '03 with 8K on the odo (which I love because the damn thing is tuned so smooth) as my "Road Racer" and I'd like to get a 2nd busa for a stretch and slam number..with a big bore kit and cams just to go toast ZX-14's heads up at Moroso...45 minutes from my house...ain't sure yet though...options are open...might get another ZRX1200 or maybe a SV1000 or might just go ahead and finally get a "Track Bike" like many of my old riding buds have been bugging me to get for years now..possible top contenders for that would be ZX-10R, CBR1000RR or maybe even a GSXR750..think'in hard...dunno yet..but one things for certain..it won't be a ZX-14....maybe a great and powerful bike but...I just can't stomach the cheap, dorky, yesteryear looks and...

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I went over to my Buds house to look at the bike along side my Busa. Impression
rock.gif
, build quality isn't up to Suzuki and way below Honda. Quality of parts and finish is also below both S and H. So the built is I would say the same basic Kaw quality, fit and finish. Good but not great or (to me anyway) pleasing. The parts and plastic just look cheap
sad.gif
. I want know until the temps build up, but the cut radiator and engine cut outs are HUGE by Busa standards. My thinking is ALOT of heat is going to come out of those vents. But, on the good side you sit futher back, so it might be OK. Sides seem to have alot more room under them than the Busa, and the exhaust pipes (front of bike) are in the direct lower air vent opening. Again, this just looks cheap to me
sad.gif
 and gives it an unfinished look . My Bud, the Mechanic of Mechanics (and a sworn to the death Kaw guy
laugh.gif
) really likes what he sees and says it's more comfortable than this old ZX12R (which I had to go to Tulsa and ride back because he was in sooooo much pain from riding it over) . It does look longer than the Busa, but that might just be a vision thing. Over all, to me it just doesn't compare with the Busa in looks, quality or fit and finish. There's just no way I would consider it over a Busa for any reason, and I'am proud to not only say that, but riding along side a 14 is his unfortunate problem. Because there is just no choice for me but the Busa. Just looks CHEAP to me even if it can go .00000002 sec faster.  
race.gif
I'll have to agree. I finally saw my first one at the pulling in to get gas in Chattanooga the other day. It was a black on with Kentucky plates on it. The pumps had all gone out so he didn't stop, just road by and got back on the interstate. It looked alright, but absolutely nothing special and I thought maybe it was because of road grime on his trip or something. However, the very next day I was in Denton, TX and stopped by the Suzuki/Honda/Kawasaki dealer and they actually had a black one on the floor. I got a close up and personal look and I have to tell you, as much as I wanted to believe in this thing, it just didn't do anything at all for me. Besides being a Busa guy, I also own a ZX11D and it is just as pristine as my Busa and I love it too, so you can't say I'm just another biased Busa rider. The fact is, it doesn't exhibit the "fit and finish" of a "Flagship" anything from any manufacturer. I know it's fast but who the hell cares... at least I don't. I just can't see me riding something that looks so absolutely non-descript. If I was going to buy another Kaw (which I probably will) it would probably be something that looks a lot nicer... maybe a new ZX10 to go along with my next purchase which is another Busa or a Gixxer. Kaw... I think you need to redesign this thing to be more pleasing to the eye. Oh well... just my 2 cents.
smile_face_r.gif

sad.gif

Went to the local Kawi Dealership and saw my first ZX-14 today.. (the Red one)..

Not too bad. A little narrower than I expected. Threw my leg over one and it actually felt very similary to the Busa. I couldn't say anything negative about the feel of the bike.. I do have two issues

1. Didn't care of the mirrors and where they were mounted
2. Ugly instrument panel. Definitely looked like C3PO Gazing back at me=)

Still Love my Hayabusa..

Back