WTF..Motorcyclist charge for video

They aren't charging him for having the video; they are charging him for what they found ON the video.

Actually I'm pretty certain it was the unauthorized public broadcast of another person's image without their consent. The same law would apply if he had recorded an average citizen, although I'm certain it wouldn't be nearly as easy for a citizen to bring charges.

he posted it on the net without consent. states have diff laws regarding whats needed to release media.

thats why hes in a bind now.

the main problem i have is the manner the unmarked leo conducted himself. dang near ran him over, cut him off, pulled his weapon, then about 4-5 sec later says state police. state police shouldve been the first words out of his mouth.

even though a cruiser is behind him, its fairly obvious its a cop that pulled in front of him.

Stupid cops are the worst.........

Ian

Stupid cops are the worst.........

Ian

Considering that you don't know the entire story, I find it rather disturbing that you're willing to call him stupid. The video is chopped and cut with very little detail. Do we really know how long the pursuit lasted? Do we really know how many infractions this kid racked up while potentially eluding the cop? Who knows? But I know one thing for certain, WE do not know the entire story.

Considering that you don't know the entire story, I find it rather disturbing that you're willing to call him stupid. The video is chopped and cut with very little detail. Do we really know how long the pursuit lasted? Do we really know how many infractions this kid racked up while potentially eluding the cop? Who knows? But I know one thing for certain, WE do not know the entire story.

Maybe so. My internet connection here is too crappy for me to watch videos so I read a few posts and put together what it seemed must have been the case. Damn I hate this Wild Blue satellite internet crap....

Ian

I call BS on the whole thing!
Why didnt the marked car and uniformed officer make the first move to the biker with the off duty serving as backup?

There is no "Reasonable expectation of privacy" on a highway exit ramp.

The bike made no move forward towards the unmarked cop, no need for a weapon to be drawn.

If the biker was so dangerous why was the marked car behind the bike and in the line of fire of the unmarked officer?

Just some things to think about, it all happened fast, but it seems many things werent done correctly IMO

I agree 100%

So all of you are saying I cant post a video of myself having a good day at the beach cuz it may contain hundreds who have not signed off on privacy slips ?

C'mon PaaaaaaaaaHLease !

I din't think there was a pursuit ? Going off the video he was just at a stop, when the cop got to him. I don't understand why they didn't just let the marked car do the stop ?

Kind of like the statement that police say about getting pulled over by an unmarked car at night on a road by yourself. They say just keep going until you get to a populated place, then pull over. If I did that, I'd be going to jail !!

I am by no means bashing police, my father is a PROUD retired State Trooper, so I hope it's not taken that way !!

Im guessing it was a off duty cop that witness the biker doing unsafe stuff on the freeway.
Then acted on it... i think pulling a badge would have done the trick not pulling a gun.

I really don't see a big deal with anything on the stop. Pulling the gun was a little excessive maybe but who cares, he didn't shoot any rounds off or anything. The bike rider screwed up and got a ticket....

What I do have a problem with is him being charged for a felony for videoing the officer. It's not like the guy pulled out a camera and decided to record him. He had a helmet cam that a LOT of people ride with these days for many OTHER reasons. He just happened to do something stupid and get pulled over in the process. The cop saw what was mounted on his helmet when he was pulled over so it should have been no surprise to the LEO's involved.

Now if the cop asked if he was recording when he was stopped and he LIED about it then by all means he will be charged.

This is almost in violation of his first amendment.

No it's not. Recording another person without their permission is taboo by most laws. Posting that recording in a public forum is illegal in many jurisdictions. If he wanted to use the recording as evidence, it should have been submitted as such. Instead he chose to post it on youtube.

First off, my brother is a police officer and I tend to side with the police more often than not as I have a great respect for what they do on a daily basis. The problem I have with this whole thing is the way the undercover pulled over in front of the bike and came out of the unmarked car with his gun drawn without identifying himself. If it was me on that bike I would be backpedaling too fearing that it was a roadrage and this dude was going to shoot me for cutting him off or whatever. The police are embarassed by the video being posted and find an angle in the law where they can stick it to the rider and do so.

The whole concept of the guy running is not apparent to me. Its a helmet cam so we see basically everything that the rider saw (unless there is editing) and I did not see a marked or lit up police vehicle in pursuit. He rode in a reckless way and deserves speeding or whatever charges they place for his riding but the police should just admit the undercover made a mistake, request the guy remove the video and leave it at that. Case closed. I think the way this is going is going to be a field day for the riders lawyer and the police will just end up looking worse when the judge throws out the video charges. The rider and the undercover both made some bad decisions.

First off, my brother is a police officer and I tend to side with the police more often than not as I have a great respect for what they do on a daily basis. The problem I have with this whole thing is the way the undercover pulled over in front of the bike and came out of the unmarked car with his gun drawn without identifying himself. If it was me on that bike I would be backpedaling too fearing that it was a roadrage and this dude was going to shoot me for cutting him off or whatever. The police are embarassed by the video being posted and find an angle in the law where they can stick it to the rider and do so.

The whole concept of the guy running is not apparent to me. Its a helmet cam so we see basically everything that the rider saw (unless there is editing) and I did not see a marked or lit up police vehicle in pursuit. He rode in a reckless way and deserves speeding or whatever charges they place for his riding but the police should just admit the undercover made a mistake, request the guy remove the video and leave it at that. Case closed. I think the way this is going is going to be a field day for the riders lawyer and the police will just end up looking worse when the judge throws out the video charges. The rider and the undercover both made some bad decisions.

Very good and objective assessment of the situation! :thumbsup:

simple fact is, by posting the video the rider broke the law.....

whether you like the law or not....thats not really your business.

its the business of those in the state that this occurred.

are you guys even serious right now?

the rider is guilty of speeding/operating on one wheel.

someone pulls up, unmarked, plain clothes, with a gun pointed at me, there is going to be static. the state trooper was 100% wrong by not announcing that he was law enforcement as his first act. he is undercover, what is that by design? you are supposed to blend into the general public. if he was in a marked car in uniform, this would be a moot point.

second point, he got out of the car with his gun out, and pointed it at the rider while aggressively moving towards him. the rider did nothing to antagonize except react as any other citizen would, he moved away from a threat of violence.

third point, if they prosecute, this country will have officially gone to hell. this is an extremely liberal use of law against citizen because the rider posted the video and the cop looks like a douchebag hiding behind a gun. the department is upset they did not look so good, so now theyre going to up the ante. he was not filming covertly. as stated above there is no privacy on a public road. if the police can film me without telling me, i sure as hell should be able to film them.

rodney king video changed the world (for the better? you decide.)
this new video of a student getting wailed on by 3 cops in riot gear w/o any provocation?

thats why they dont want to be filmed. those are 2 examples among thousands.

+1 that gun happy freak should be charged with displaying a deadly weapon among other things. I'm not anti-police and the biker should be ticketed for the wheelie and speeding, but this is absolutely rediculous. The biker reacted just like any normal citizen would by backing away from the violent trooper who had not identified himself before hand. The trooper just hops out with his gun acting a fool. He should be removed permanently from law enforcement of any position and never be allowed to carry a firearm. :moon:

Back