Woolich Logbox and Innovate Motorsports LC-1 anyone?

I have been tuning using on board logging on all of my race vehicles since 98. Its a pretty valuable tool, and its good to see more people use it. A couple of things to keep in mind if you log though the ECU interface

The woolrich log box gets its analog data through the ECU interface that is similar to the OBD interface of all modern cars. The 32 bit ECU is fairly fast but they update the interface very slowly. When I looked into buying one, the interface only updated itself (from memory) only about 10 times a second. A direct logger that takes its analog signals directly off the sensors (RPM, TPS, MAP, etc.) collect them at 20 to 50 times a second. So what this means is that you probably want to avoid tuning in lower gears where RPM and AFR are changing very very quickly. Further more you want to know EXACTLY what RPM you have that lean of fat spot in, so if you are only collecting a data point every 100 milliseconds, and the rpm is changing 2000 rpm in that time window, you really have no idea what the AFR is at any given RPM. Don't trust data just because you have a number. Tuning in 3rd or 4th gear is not a problem however, and the level of tune you get logging is far superior to a dyno.

Second, you will find with logging that your tune changes constantly. It changes with the weather that day. It changes with the seasonal blend changes in gasoline. It changes with the seasons. It changes with the temperature of the engine. It is a modern myth that modern fuel injection and sensors compensate for all the different changes the motor sees. That's crap. I have seen the Density Altitude on a fall day go from 1800' at noon time to -300' by 4PM. The Air Fuel Ratio on a normally aspirated Busa changed accordingly from 13.0 - 13.2 all the way up to 13.6. That's overly fat to dangerously lean and on the edge of detonation. In 4 hours. You would think the temperature and air density sensors would compensate, but they don't. A responsible tuner will tune a bit fat knowing that the next tank of gasoline might push the motor to the lean side, so they leave meat on the table. When you begin tuning you can really wring the Btch out, but you need to make sure that it stays safe and adjust accordingly. I have seen the most power on a Gen II at 13.4 to 13.5 or even 13.6 in spots with the right fuel and timing, but I would log every pass to be safe. I run N2O on my own race bike in part because the weather has much less affect. The blizzard is in the bottle so to speak.

Some other minor things to keep in mind.
  • Don't run the bike without having the O2 sensor powered. That will kill them.
  • If you kill your sensor, Auto Zone has them for ~$60. No need to buy from Innovate.
  • You can run leaded gas with an O2 sensor. The directions say no, but you can get a couple of years of of them with Lead.
  • Most modified Busa's and ZX14 will throw O2 sensor errors at high RPMs. This is caused by overheating. Nitrious will definietly do this. You need to buy the radiator adapter.
  • If you decide to get your RMP signal direct, and not through the ECU interface, DON't use the stick coil for the signal source. It will NEVER work even though instructions tell you to. Use the fuel injector as the signal source. That signal is much more stable than the coil.

Hopefully this was helpful.

Im going to post this in here instead of a new thread. My question is can you cut the old o2 sensor and wire the wideband to it after its passed through the box thing. Sorry not sure what the box does, think read coverts from analog to digital but not sure.

Reason I am asking is if i could do that then it would be easy for me to take the wideband off the bike and then run on a buddies bike so I can tune his too.

So first pic the would any of the wires from that be able to be wired into the stock harness after cutting the stock o2 sensor off? And the 2nd pic is just the 4 wires that are connected to the stock o2 sensor at the end near the factory plug.

2013-03-24_16-20-43_704.jpg

2013-03-24_16-21-06_990.jpg

Im going to post this in here instead of a new thread. My question is can you cut the old o2 sensor and wire the wideband to it after its passed through the box thing. Sorry not sure what the box does, think read coverts from analog to digital but not sure.

Reason I am asking is if i could do that then it would be easy for me to take the wideband off the bike and then run on a buddies bike so I can tune his too.

So first pic the would any of the wires from that be able to be wired into the stock harness after cutting the stock o2 sensor off? And the 2nd pic is just the 4 wires that are connected to the stock o2 sensor at the end near the factory plug.

Just got my LC-1 installed tonight, I had talked with Boost by Smith about the install prior too. It's not recommended to power the LC-1 through the ECM. The best way is to power the LC-1 (Red wire) with a switched 12V source (I used a relay triggered by the license plate lamp), Ground Blue and White wires to the battery (I soldered the Blue and White wires together then crimped and soldered to a lug connector), The Brown wire will go to pin number 12 (White with Green tracer) on the ECU (this is the only wire that is ok to splice into the factory O2 sensor connector), the Yellow is not used and the Black is optional, see LC-1 install manual for details on hooking that up.

NUTZ: So did you not connect the push button calibration thing? I believe thats going to the black. Just wondering.

I did. It looks something like this
20130401_203602_resized_zps7fce16b4.jpg

20130401_203752_resized_zpsa0ba9a45.jpg

Solder a LED to a push button, the Black wire goes to the long end of the led and the short end of the led goes to the battery ground. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
NUTZ I am having trouble with the led install. So far I have the red of lc-1 to my license plate lights. The brown to the white with green tracer (pin 12) and the blue and white together and then to the battery ground.

Then with the led, I have the black of led, and one side of the button to the battery ground as well. Then have the black of lc-1, red of the led, and the other side of push button all connected.

When I turn the bike on and wait 20-40 seconds the leds never turn on. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

2013-04-13_12-39-39_893.jpg

So my error was the led i was using needed more then the 5v the black wire was outputing to light up.

Interesting... The instructions say 1.2 - 2.2 volt and 1ma - 30ma. I used a 2.6 volt 28 ma led from Radio Shack, It seems to be working fine.

Yeap i went to radio shack and got a new led. But I did something else wrong as my log is showing the afr as 22 for everything.

What ever came about from your experiences tuning with a wideband if you dont mind me asking? Im seriously considering giving it a try as well and the information is limited

Back