Why does it make it sociably acceptable...

WickedWrenches

Registered
I am not new to riding, been riding for 30 years. From dirt bikes, sport bikes and Harleys. Why is it that sport bike riders laugh and call people a squid while riding a sport bike in just jeans and a tshirt but yet its socially acceptable to do so on Harley or big cruiser? Do sport bike riders lay down their bikes more then Harley riders and need the extra protection? If it is sociably acceptable for me to ride my cruiser in steel toe boots, jeans and a tshirt, why cant I ride my busa the same way without being called names?? What makes a sport bike different to be made fun of while wearing the same on a cruiser?? I dont ride my busa any more aggressively then I do my Harleys and I am sure a Harley can go down with as much ease as any sport bike..Does the full leather onesie, gloves and stiff ski boots you cant walk in give you a higher social status like drinking a starbucks over dunkin donuts coffee?? Makes no sense to me why its ok to call someone a squid on one bike, but not on another for wearing the exact same thing....:banghead: I dont think I ever been to a Harley event where a rider showed up in full motoGP gear on a StreetGlide, yet people get in full GP gear to get a loaf of bread on a sport bike. Its mind boggling.. Im sure I will be crucified for this and burned at the stake and will get those who preach atgatt and those who will say ride what you are comfortable in. Oh and for the record, I laid down a bike or two in my time, still didnt see the need for full motoGP gear..I ride what I ride in regardless of what people say, just curious as to why its ok for one but not the other...

Opinions please :poke:

First of all :welcome:! Great post and great questions. I chuckled all the way through it because I have been on both sides of it many times. I have no good answers for you. Political correctness and the idea of "social acceptability" are killing the human civilization. Not getting political, just my opinion. As for me: Many years ago I made a decision to carefully consider my words and actions and then conduct myself according to what I believe is right for me. The day I begin living my life the way others think I should is the day I just give up and die. I respect the opinions of others but I never feel bound by them. Be who you are, do what you do.

The Org is full of great guys and galls with a wide age spread and many years of experience and knowledge and we all love to help. There are members in many countries and have widely disparate backgrounds but we are all here because of our love of riding, and the Hayabusa in particular. Post up a bio in the "New Members" section. Read the rules and always be respectful to these guys and they will always have your back. Cheers!

Different social groups have different norms, ie cultural products (including values, customs, and traditions) which represent individuals' basic knowledge of what others do and what others think that they should do.

To logically contrast varying norms from different social groups to is at best a fools errand.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

cheers
ken

I have full track leathers, Adventure touring outfit, two leather jackets, a mesh jacket and a Belstaff textile jacket. Also two pairs of textile riding pants. What I wear depends on the motorcycle I am using (have 4), the weather, the nature of the ride (twisties, interstate, track, etc.). All my clothing includes armor but I have ridden in a t-shirt (rarely but when over 100 degrees). Puting on more than necessary I wouldn't fault, but less gear than sensible is risky, (but I'm occasionally guilty as charged). I would never get on my turbobike and blast off wearing jeans and a t-shirt, however.

Do sport bike riders lay down their bikes more then Harley riders and need the extra protection?
I would say yes 100%. I have investigated over 40 fatal motorcycle accidents and only 3 of them involved a bike other then a sport bike or liter style bike.

ur gonna get fuked up no matter wat ur own wen u go down but statistically liter bike riders ride harder and take more chances with speed and corners and therefore are more likely to go down. simply cause they CAN cause their bike does weigh a 1000 freakn lbs....:whistle:

although liter bikes are faster they do brake and handle far better obviously but its not the speed that kills you its the change in speed that does. so u being able to stop on a dime don't mean **** wen someone takes a right hand turn in front and ur not able to even apply the brakes which is the #1 cause of motorcycle fatalities statistically but in my experience in the city its jackasses simply going too fast for conditions and not able to handle the power.

Consider it this way maybe as a comparison. If you drove a Ferarri, you'd probably drive it faster and more aggressively than you would a Cadillac. So an extra safety margin is more than likely going to welcomed.

I see that a ton also. But, I believe it is because sport bikes are involved in more accidents as already mentioned. Also, when u r on ur cruiser, you don't have nearly as many close calls. I really believe ( and c it daily!) that cagers have much less respect for sportbikes. Maybe because u rarely see cruisers wheelying down the road at 100 mph. Dunno. I get cut off nearly every ride on my big freakin yellow Bus, bit very rarely on my dark blue M109R. And. I ride both nearly the same way-fairly docile. In Florida anyway, and I would bet everywhere else, the bikes that are cutting through traffic and going mach 3 are not generally cruisers.
I usually wear t shirt, jeans, leather vest, and a skull cap on my 9, but kevlar jeans, gloves, full face, and leather or mesh protective jacket on the Busa. When I am going to the gym (2 miles away on a fairly quiet road), I usually wear my gym clothes with a full face.
I just expect more incidences on the Busa.
ATGATT DAMNIT! lol, j/k!
Troy

I am not new to riding, been riding for 30 years. From dirt bikes, sport bikes and Harleys. Why is it that sport bike riders laugh and call people a squid while riding a sport bike in just jeans and a tshirt but yet its socially acceptable to do so on Harley or big cruiser? Do sport bike riders lay down their bikes more then Harley riders and need the extra protection? If it is sociably acceptable for me to ride my cruiser in steel toe boots, jeans and a tshirt, why cant I ride my busa the same way without being called names?? What makes a sport bike different to be made fun of while wearing the same on a cruiser?? I dont ride my busa any more aggressively then I do my Harleys and I am sure a Harley can go down with as much ease as any sport bike..Does the full leather onesie, gloves and stiff ski boots you cant walk in give you a higher social status like drinking a starbucks over dunkin donuts coffee?? Makes no sense to me why its ok to call someone a squid on one bike, but not on another for wearing the exact same thing....:banghead: I dont think I ever been to a Harley event where a rider showed up in full motoGP gear on a StreetGlide, yet people get in full GP gear to get a loaf of bread on a sport bike. Its mind boggling.. Im sure I will be crucified for this and burned at the stake and will get those who preach atgatt and those who will say ride what you are comfortable in. Oh and for the record, I laid down a bike or two in my time, still didnt see the need for full motoGP gear..I ride what I ride in regardless of what people say, just curious as to why its ok for one but not the other...

Well " I dont ride my busa any more aggressively then I do my Harleys".... thats a sin! But at the end of the day who cares! Ride your bike how you want the way you want! Screw what i think and everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
the truth is you never know when your going to go down! It may or may not happen, bones break regardless! you could be riding a bicycle, moped or a scooter or a sidewinder missile! but in my years of riding it comes down to this! Accidents that happen on bikes occur due to:
speeding
inexperience
alcohol
negligence of other drivers (or the Rider)
And the first to are usually unlicensed M1 motorcycle drivers!
I personally do not commute anymore on a bike because other drivers in cars just don't see or look for us!
If I crash bombing some mountain curves and I lay my bike I'ts probably not because I was not obeying the speed limit! It was was most likely me not knowing my own limits!
but then again there are those crazy fluke accidents that happen when your just sitting at a light! and someone plows into you!
So, what do you do? stop riding and live in fear? Or, live your life doing what you love? (is that selfish)? It's all about choices!

I think the same or worse of the harley guys with the oh so cool sleeveless T-shirts riding around. Apparently nobody told them there arm could get completely shredded to the bone when they go down. Either they don't think they will, ignorant to the risk, or just dont care. In the end its your decision but I would encourage you to cover your skin with something that wont get ripped off on impact. The stupidity of trusting cagers with a chance of your disfigurement or death just makes you look like an idiot to some thinkers out there, thats why they feel the need to call you an idiot or "squid".

If I had a Harley, I would probably be the only person in Albuquerque riding one wearing a full face helmet. Regardless of what other gear I wear a full face, Snell/ECE rated helmet is a must for me.

Also, the majority of the motorcycle fatalities here in ABQ are Harley/Touring riders. Hear about them all the time on the news and get to experience the traffic woes resulting from the accidents on a regular basis. We lose a good amount of sport-bike riders also but usually its the big tourers that seem to be in the news.

When I ride my busa I got out wrapped in leather , I do this because I know I will be speeding at some point :) When i go out on my Vmax different gear all textile with armor in it . Also I dont ride the Vmax in the tripple digits . Remember people do crash Harleys all the time and tend to be the guys at the bar drinking

If I had a Harley, I would probably be the only person in Albuquerque riding one wearing a full face helmet. Regardless of what other gear I wear a full face, Snell/ECE rated helmet is a must for me.

Also, the majority of the motorcycle fatalities here in ABQ are Harley/Touring riders. Hear about them all the time on the news and get to experience the traffic woes resulting from the accidents on a regular basis. We lose a good amount of sport-bike riders also but usually its the big tourers that seem to be in the news.

You and me both. I recently made my guys in the MC program watch a video made by a gentleman that used to wear half helmets and is now an aggressive advocate for full face helmets after his face was severely disfigured by the asphalt cheese grader. Also have a good one where we had a guy wearing Jordans and you see a accident scene picture of a jordan laying on the ground and the next slide of what used to be his foot but now just a weird tales from the crypt looking skeleton foot. The road removed virtually all of the tissue muscle ligaments, everything from the bone. He was one of out soldiers at a sister base.

where what you want and ride how you want. who cares what people say. I ride no helmet, jeans, jordans. yet I'm more careful then anyone I see around here. its just rude people being rude is all. I don't let it bother me. and yes us rocket guys do get a bad rep for the style of bikes we have. but when I had my Harley I was treated with respect and doors held open. its a crazy world we live in

^^ but dont worry guys this wont happen to you. Screw the people that tell you your a squid for not wearing any gear.

I have full gear and ride with full gear 99% of the time, have I ridden without, sure. I cant throw rocks.

WickedWrenches;3168181[B said:
]I am not new to riding, been riding for 30 years.[/B] From dirt bikes, sport bikes and Harleys. Why is it that sport bike riders laugh and call people a squid while riding a sport bike in just jeans and a tshirt but yet its socially acceptable to do so on Harley or big cruiser? Do sport bike riders lay down their bikes more then Harley riders and need the extra protection? If it is sociably acceptable for me to ride my cruiser in steel toe boots, jeans and a tshirt, why cant I ride my busa the same way without being called names?? What makes a sport bike different to be made fun of while wearing the same on a cruiser?? I dont ride my busa any more aggressively then I do my Harleys and I am sure a Harley can go down with as much ease as any sport bike..Does the full leather onesie, gloves and stiff ski boots you cant walk in give you a higher social status like drinking a starbucks over dunkin donuts coffee?? Makes no sense to me why its ok to call someone a squid on one bike, but not on another for wearing the exact same thing....:banghead: I dont think I ever been to a Harley event where a rider showed up in full motoGP gear on a StreetGlide, yet people get in full GP gear to get a loaf of bread on a sport bike. Its mind boggling.. Im sure I will be crucified for this and burned at the stake and will get those who preach atgatt and those who will say ride what you are comfortable in. Oh and for the record, I laid down a bike or two in my time, still didnt see the need for full motoGP gear..I ride what I ride in regardless of what people say, just curious as to why its ok for one but not the other...

You've been riding for 30 years and just now this is bothering you?

Who is calling you names? Why do you care? Who is saying it's OK for one but not the other?

Life is about choices. We all have to live with the choices we make. Some will be good and others will be bad. Nobody is immune.
Kinda like the words that come out of our mouths. We have all said something we later wished we hadn't but we can never take it back.

I don't call people squids. I call them like I see them. If they are doing something stupid I might call them an idiot - because that's how I see them.

But in the end as long as they don't effect me or hurt anyone I don't really care what others do or say. I can't control anyone except myself.

We don't have a helmet law here anymore. Many people choose to ride without one. Does that effect me? NO. I just laugh and think about all the bugs their eating.
But that's their choice. Just like riding with shorts and a tanktop is a choice some make, but the skin cancer they are setting themselves up for is also their choice, again it doesn't effect me.

You and me both. I recently made my guys in the MC program watch a video made by a gentleman that used to wear half helmets and is now an aggressive advocate for full face helmets after his face was severely disfigured by the asphalt cheese grader. Also have a good one where we had a guy wearing Jordans and you see a accident scene picture of a jordan laying on the ground and the next slide of what used to be his foot but now just a weird tales from the crypt looking skeleton foot. The road removed virtually all of the tissue muscle ligaments, everything from the bone. He was one of out soldiers at a sister base.

I get to see that whole face thing at Market I go to , Butcher in meat dept was at bike week in FL got drunk crashed with no gear and did the face plant thing . Broke his eye scocket too , Kinda hard to look at him and not be like F me

I would say yes 100%. I have investigated over 40 fatal motorcycle accidents and only 3 of them involved a bike other then a sport bike or liter style bike.

ur gonna get fuked up no matter wat ur own wen u go down but statistically liter bike riders ride harder and take more chances with speed and corners and therefore are more likely to go down. simply cause they CAN cause their bike does weigh a 1000 freakn lbs....:whistle:

although liter bikes are faster they do brake and handle far better obviously but its not the speed that kills you its the change in speed that does. so u being able to stop on a dime don't mean **** wen someone takes a right hand turn in front and ur not able to even apply the brakes which is the #1 cause of motorcycle fatalities statistically but in my experience in the city its jackasses simply going too fast for conditions and not able to handle the power.

This must be completely geographical or based on the sportbike/Harley ratio. It's WAAAYY different here in Wisconsin. You see a Harley rider die damn near every weekend. :down:

Back