Why does it make it sociably acceptable...

Having been on both sides, I can say it's hard to explain other than it's a mind-set, almost some kool-aid that's doled out when you buy a particular type of motorcycle...

I started out on a Harley, and I rode with nothing but Harleys. Back then, I recall judging sport bikers for "riding like idiots" and not wearing full gear OR we'd laugh at those dressed up like they were hitting the track, then I'd hop on my Harley in a half-helmet, jeans, tennis shoes and a t-shirt.

When I bought my Busa, I was suddenly transformed in to the white Power Ranger and if I don't have most of that gear on, I feel like I shouldn't be riding. I've had my Busa for 12 years now, and recently acquired another Harley to go with the Busa. I can tell you, the moment I got on it, I suddenly feel overdressed, Harley riding neighbors are telling Omar (omslaw) and I that we need to dump the full helmet and all of that gear for what Harley riders wear, etc...I don't think I can go back, but who knows? Never say never I say. I do know I feel a false sense of security on that big Harley vs the Busa, key word here being "false".

I've been riding long enough to realize it's all about what each of us want to wear - personally, I've watched people I love go down right in front of me, and I've seen what gear did to keep them in my life. But, I also have friends I love dearly opt to exercise their right to not wear helmets in states where that's legal, or take off that hot leather coat on a summer day. I used to fight for ATGATT once I became a sport biker, but over time you realize free will is a great thing, that opinions aren't always appreciated and friends of yours have choices, for the most part, as do you...

The judgement is on both side of the coin, of that much I'm certain...can't we all just agree to disagree and hope that we ride safe, that cagers don't take us out and that we keep the rubbersidedown? ;) Where is he anyway? :lol:

i am not a gear nazi. I do wear gear honestly when i feel like it. Full gear ya i know great protection etc. Helmets save live sure. But common sense and awareness will save way more lives. The great majority of bike accidents are cause by stupidity. Either cager didnt see you or you were riding like a fool. You tangle with a cager chances are great your going to get hurt or dead. Gear will keep you looking pretty for the funeral. Gear is not going to keep you from breaking bones etc. It will help stop road rash. It may even stop some head injuries. But honestly lets face it, motorcycles are a very dangerous hobby and anyone who says different is very blind. Helmets save lives they say. Probably do some. But helmet laws havent been proven to be beneficial really. Just keeps your face looking good for funeral.

All in, you take your life and looks into your hands every time you decide to ride.

I guess the most important questions are: who's calling you names and why do you care?
It's just as stupid to ride a Harley in a t shirt. Possibly more...because you're on a Harley

I guess it's about as relevant as the question : why won't Harley riders wear a full face helmet,but they'll wear a nappy (diaper) over their face...that you have to take off when it's raining,and rain hurts,otherwise it's like waterboarding yourself as you ride down the road

I normally ride in jeans for commuting, or kevlar jeans when doing a regular ride (I don't have leathers) and a textile armoured coat. When I rode Harleys, I wore jeans and a leather jacket. I always wear a helmet, but we have to here anyways. What upsets me the most; isn't guys (don't care what kind of bike); who chose to wear what I would call, inadequate gear, that's their choice, and they are making a decision. Good or bad, they are adults. What gets me, is the guy geared up in full GP gear on his crazy fast bike; with his girlfriend on the back, wearing shorts and flip flops... seriously... that upsets me. However, to each his own. I just hope he's taken the time to at least inform her of the risks she's taking.

Sugarbear

Because its all about the looks. Guys want to look tough which I'm not really sure how that works but sure. Biggest poser like following in modern society.

Regardless of the ride, anything you want to keep,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Cover that sh-itz up! At least that's my view when it comes to protecting my carcass. I've probably crashed more time than anyone on this site and thus far my pretty face is still in tack. I still have the full faced helmets some of which have serious face plant scars. Although I have had broken bones I have no road rash scars due to complete coverage of quality gear.

Once you have witnessed serious road rash up close and personal, it will change the thought process about the consequences of poor choices!

I think if you dump and your not wearing armor leather or what have you. And you suffer injuries that could have been averted or minimized by armor then you can't ***** about it! Suck it up and suffer the consequences otherwise don't Effen tell me what to wear! I have a metal leg that is an inch to short then my other leg as well as scars and gashes on my body that make people stare when I wear shorts! I have bounced on pavement for well over the length of a football field. and I'll be God Damned if anyone on Gods green earth is going to tell me what wear when I ride!!!! Guess I'm stupid or I just don't give a horses ass what people think!!!!!! or I just don't give a flying Fuuuuuuhhh

It's the expected norm for that subculture. In the cruiser and Harley world it's expected that you wear next to no protective gear. The classic biker image is so deeply associated with that style of bike regardless of brand that people who don't even ride them expect the beenie helmet and leather vest and all the usual things that go with it. The sport bike subculture is the exact opposite. It's not about tuffness or strength in that group it's about speed, or the perception of it at least. The if you look fast you are fast mentality if you will is responsible for that. Not many people buy sport or Supersport bikes to do the speed limit and enjoy the outside lane position in a canyon corner, instead most owners try to cut corners as tight as possible while riding as fast as possible. There are so many other examples of subculture behaviour out there that paint each genre of rider as different and it doesn't matter which one if any you fall into. Just ride so you enjoy it, try not to endanger anyone else in your more extravagant times, and do your best to come home again.

That was my logic and sociology professors talking right there.
It's also my opinion that cruiser riders don't need a lot of gear to get to Starbucks, if they hang out in the bar and get drunk then decide to drive or ride home they deserve to crash and die, another example of Darwinisim right there. Most Supersport riders are just arrogant and over compensating for other short comings. Most of the time thier riding style and general road behaviour gives everyone else a bad name and maybe some natural selection could do some good. I know that we all ride for various reason, mine are no more or less important then yours or anyone else's, I will classify myself in the more boring speed limit riding no insane corner carving or wheelying type of rider and that's okay for me, I also never leave the house without all my gear only because if I do go down one day I want to have the best chance to get up again, nothing more or less. It's that basic in my mind.

What usually goes overlooked in this conversation is the cost society bears for this kind of stupidity. There is the insurance costs that go up when accident injury costs are higher than they need to be. I have walked away from several accidents that would surely have at least involved a meat wagon ride to emergency. There is the hit as many of those young riders flying around don't think they need insurance, then they expect us to pay their hospital bills. Or when permanently injured rider's lifetime insurance limit runs out we all get the bill. More directly when numb-nuts crash all of our insurance rates go up.

Do what you want but ultimately we are all a family and we are judged by the worst of us, not the best.

What usually goes overlooked in this conversation is the cost society bears for this kind of stupidity. There is the insurance costs that go up when accident injury costs are higher than they need to be. I have walked away from several accidents that would surely have at least involved a meat wagon ride to emergency. There is the hit as many of those young riders flying around don't think they need insurance, then they expect us to pay their hospital bills. Or when permanently injured rider's lifetime insurance limit runs out we all get the bill. More directly when numb-nuts crash all of our insurance rates go up.

Do what you want but ultimately we are all a family and we are judged by the worst of us, not the best.

I've always said, that although I believe in everyone right to wear what they like
on a bike, be it helmets, leathers, gloves boots etc, the fact is it does effect me.

It effects future laws on safety gear, it effects insurance premiums, it effects how
motorcyclists are viewed and judged and has come-backs in many ways.

It a balance between someone's right to free choice and the come backs on others.

I wear a seatbelt in my car,
I wear a helmet on my bike,
not because of anything I have done,
but because of the poses that be judging those in the past.
It's not unbelievable to see future safety gear requirements being implemented because of others behaviour and results.

Back