Who changes their own tires?

I do, and have for myself and alot of others for many years.
I have used all different types of changers and balancers, including hydraulic changers and electronic balancers, which are nice.
I've used just 2 spoons to change tires, a couple different changing stands, and currently have the Rabaconda dirt tire changer, which also works on street tires.
Rabaconda's street tire changer(which I will be buying soon, $600) is by far the quickest and easiest changer there is, as there is no real physical effort involved, vs their dirt version, which requires some elbow grease to get stubborn tires on, and I am outgrowing that, lol.
For balancing, I have been using the same Redline Stands brand static balancer for about 13-14 years now.
It has adjustable feet, a bubble level, bearing mounts for the wheel shaft, and it works excellent.
My tire balance tests consist of a top speed run, and every tire on many bikes has always been glass smooth.
I use stick-on weights too, not the hammer-on/crimp on style that attach to the center wheel lip.
I also got a Snap-on motorcycle tire balancing machine a few months ago.
It was missing the cones, but my Dad made me a new aluminum pair on the lathe.
Once I finish 2 more bikes, I'm going to pull a wheel off my gsxr and try it.
For the easiest operation, least effort, and least space and weight without electricity, a Rabaconda Street tire changer, and a quality static balancer are your best bet for tire changes.
Still young and tough? 2 spoons and a floor is all you need to mount them...but still a quality static balancer.

Also, I had such a stubborn new front tire on the other gsxr a couple weeks ago, that did Not want to go on the wheel.
So, I put 10 zipties around the tire to close the beads together...and it dropped right on to the wheel!
I never had to use that trick before either, but it works.

20230502_211527.jpg

20230502_211837.jpg

20230502_213645.jpg

Last edited:
I do. Still changing them the old-fashioned way last 20 years, completely by hand with spoons. Been doing it for years, but I'd also like to get a Rabaconda, likely over the winter after this ride season. $800 is still $800. If you want to change your own, the only thing you really need is the balancer (~$100) & tire irons. The rest is just better, more fancy stuff. I always keep wheel weights on hand in my tool box. Having a bead breaker is also an essential piece of kit. Makes things so much easier.

I need to change tires every four months year round, so it's a constant rhythmic thing. All my rides are 1000-mile weekends, so every 4–5 times I ride the bike, I've got to plan ahead. I typically order tires months in advance and have a new set sitting here for a month or two. During Spring & Fall, my rides are every 12 days, so that leaves very little spare time for general maintenance.

I have NoMar Balancer which is handy & a super-cool wheel alignment tool everyone on this site wishes they had ( got off an org member likely 15 years ago. The Motion Pro Rim Savers are handy, but not perfect. I use 3 curved 15" Tire Irons work best. Using dish soap, soapy water, or even Windex helps the tire on & off.

Everyone here seems to agree the Harbor Freight tire changer is a low-cost option that works, but looking forward to getting a Rabaconda.

Once a year, taking them to the dump to be recycled

DSC001894.jpeg

DSC001894-2.jpg

Last edited:
Yep
Sometimes it was easy, more times it was a pain.
Now it's still a pain...only now it's a back pain or knee pain, and pain I feel the same day or the next day...when I'm trying to enjoy riding on the new tires, lol
Pass.
I hear ya. That's why after 20 years of changing my own, I want one of these.

Back