DIY Tire Mounting

Nastypenguin

Registered
Hey guys/gals, has anyone tried mounting their own tires? The reason I ask is because between the Busa and the wife’s r6, I could save a chunk of change every 4-6 months when I have to buy new tread if I do most of it myself – I would still have them pro balanced. Also, can anyone recommend any good tire irons/bead breakers?

Only about 50 times already. I also balance them myself on a balancer I built... myself.
tounge.gif

Old guide:

I should actually move that to 'Maintenance' seeing we have that section.

If you've got around $80-$100 to blow and watch the sales at Harbor Freight you can get a tire changer and motorcycle wheel attachment. A couple extra tire irons in different sizes and a way to balance (See narc's thread) and you'd be set. If you've got access to cheap/free lumber and jacks and shid, narc's way might be cheaper. If you have to buy all the jacks and lumber you'd prolly come damned near the cost of the real stuff from Harbor Freight in the end.
rock.gif

I use a Rod Neff balancer, works well.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewe....dex.htm

Bead breaking can be accomplished with a short pair of 2X4's & a large C clamp. I recently cut a radius in a pair of 2X6's to match the wheel radius. works easier/better.

To hold the wheel while the tire is being removed I made a simple fixture.

Parts required.

passenger car wheel from a rear wheel drive vehicle.
Piece of carpet at least the size of the wheel. You want it to overhang the rim edge so it protects your bike wheel.
Length of 1/2" threaded rod & 2 nuts & large flat washers.
short length of 1/4" flat stock or a short 2X4.

Cut the center out of the carpet slightly larger than the hub diameter of the bike wheel & lay it over the wheel. you want the back side of the wheel facing up.

Drill the flat stock or 2X4 for the threaded rod, insert the rod with nut & washer in the stock & install it from the underside of the wheel, hold it in position & lay the bike wheel in the car wheel with the rod through the axle hole. Install a large washer & nut & tighten the nut. You bike wheel is now securly fastened down. Clamp the car wheel to the work bench.

I use bike tire irons available from Dennis Kirk or JC Whitney, about 6-8 bux. & some plastic door edge guard to protect the rim edge.

I use soapy water in a spray bottle then once the new tire is mounted I use a rag with laquer thinner to clean the bead before inflation to remove the soap film. You don't want anything on the bead as the tire may spin off the wheel bead & go flat instantly.
Do not use mineral spirits.

Anybody know where to purchase the heavy plastic clip on rim protectors the dealers use? Been looking for them for awhile.

I won't come close to anything that will scratch my wheels. Special rubber coated with no metal hitting my wheels.

Well, it's nice to see that none of the posts so far start with "you're crazy..."
biggrin.gif
...I like the idea of using an old car rim instead of a 20 gallon steel drum - way easier to find. Also, there is a harbor freight tool store down the street so I'll go check them out...So, do you guys also balance your tires? I always thought you would want a computer balanced tire for your bike. Can you get that accurate doing it yourself? Thanks for the great info so far!!!

Computer balancing is over-rated, IMO. People just assume since it is 'high-tech' that it is better. Racers use static balancers all the time.

A side-note, the same goes for car alignments. Unless your wheels are absolutely perfect, those laser alignment tools will not give good results. Nothing compares to good old-fashioned steel rods and clamps with a trained eye to use them. Any monkey can use a machine in minutes, that's why the big shops all use those. Lower waged techs + quick turn-around + uninformed consumers = Profit.
wink.gif

Well, it's nice to see that none of the posts so far start with "you're crazy..."
biggrin.gif
...I like the idea of using an old car rim instead of a 20 gallon steel drum - way easier to find. Also, there is a harbor freight tool store down the street so I'll go check them out...So, do you guys also balance your tires? I always thought you would want a computer balanced tire for your bike. Can you get that accurate doing it yourself? Thanks for the great info so far!!!
My wheels/tires were balanced by a local shop usin' a bubble/level tire balancer for bike wheels/tires. Rides just as smooth as it did with the stock tires. I don't know how accurate you can get manually usin' the methods described here. I'd rather pay someone a few bucks and use their balancer.

Back