Where do you rate on braking skills?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
Well here we are fellow Throttle Jockeys, on the thresh hold of spring. With warm days of spring just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about dusting off the two wheel demon and once again feeling the fresh clean air of spring on our face.

I have been thinking about this for some time now and thought it was the proper time to address a few things that will never cross the minds of most of us and the rest don’t want to think about and avoid the subject. However, the facts are facts and we should give living a long healthy life some serious thought. As many of you know, the year 2010 will undoubtedly equal 2009 with the deaths of more than 5,000 motorcyclist on our nations roads. This equates to about 15 per day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. I think most of us can relate to loosing a friend, acquaintance or loved one to the beloved motorcycle?

I’m sure some are thinking, where the hell is this guy going here? Well, I happen to think we can reduce our odds of being a casualty if we so decide? I have researched a few facts that I’ll share with you and some ways to improve your odds of survival. I went to this website The Hurt Study - Motorcycle Safety Information and Resources
And came up with some facts from the HURT study that put my mind in motion.

We as a group, own and ride what has been and may still be the fastest two wheel beast on the planet. It reaches triple digit speeds in the blink of an eye. I see threads every now and then about speeds in excess of 150mph. Great fun and makes ones eye bug out. But not once have I seen a thread about emergency braking from triple digits. Not a single one? Is there anyone who has tested the water (Other than on the track) and stood on the brakes at a buck fifty? I have my doubts. Certainly no one will practice this on the streets!

Here is the opening paragraph from the website above:
Braking is probably the most important action that a rider can perform. Braking allows us to quickly slow down and come to a stop before hitting an obstacle.
Most riders do not fully understand the distance that is required to bring the bike to a full stop. Braking distance increases with speed, and unfortunately the increase is not linear.
If a bike that is doing 30 MPH can stop in 33 feet doesn't means that if the same bike is doing 60 MPH would be able to stop in 66 feet, it actually will take 134 feet! The increase in braking distance is the square of the speed increase.*

I show you this to point out just how important it is to master the art of braking. It is a learned skill. Speed won’t hurt you but stopping will crush your bones depending on whether you stop with your brakes or allow a Ford F350 to do it for you!

I took a few highlights from the HURT study and listed them below. It’s worth your time to read.

4. In single vehicle accidents, motorcycle rider error was present as the accident precipitating factor in about two-thirds of the cases, with the typical error being a slideout and fall due to overbraking or running wide on a curve due to excess speed or under-cornering.

All crashes due to these circumstances are totally avoidable!

8. The most frequent accident configuration is the motorcycle proceeding straight then the automobile makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle.

This is referring to multiple vehicle crashes only.

11. Most motorcycle accidents involve a short trip associated with shopping, errands, friends, entertainment or recreation, and the accident is likely to happen in a very short time close to the trip origin.

22. The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents.

This is the killer! 92% of crash victims are without training. I don’t think the MSF course you take to get your license applies here? How many of us have actually had formal training? How many have attended a track school for instance? I’m guessing about 92% of us have not?

24. Lack of attention to the driving task is a common factor for the motorcyclist in an accident.

27. The typical motorcycle accident allows the motorcyclist just less than 2 seconds to complete all collision avoidance action.

With the two statements above in mind, how many of you really think you ride better and will maintain your reaction time while rockin to ZZtop? Remember, life and death can be determined in less than 2 seconds!

44. The most deadly injuries to the accident victims were injuries to the chest and head.

While we all ride with our noggin covered, how many ride with chest protection? I do on the track but I don’t on the streets. However, I think that is about to change for me.
While I intended for this thread to stimulate at least some of us to improve our braking skills, most of the stats mentioned above are food for thought.

The next tid bit listed below is from a motorcycle safety site. However, for me it rings so true.

5. Is braking a natural skill?

Braking, as with any riding skill, is a learned skill, not a natural one. This means you must practice the correct braking skills enough to make them an instinctive reaction before you can be sure that you will do the right things in an emergency. Overseas research has shown that, because of panic overpowering the rider's conscious reactions, nearly a third of all riders do absolutely nothing in an accident situation: they don't even apply the brakes!
If, however, your high level braking skills are so well learnt that they are instinctive, you will do it right, no matter what the situation. However, this requires you to do a lot of high level braking skill practice, the skills will not come with normal everyday riding.
Research has shown that panic tends to decrease your riding skills. Well, research has shown that the average rider can only properly concentrate on the use of one brake in an emergency so, unless you think you're road motorcycling's equivalent of a top motorcycle racer, we would suggest that you concentrate on getting the best out of one brake. Of the front and rear brake on a motorcycle, the one to concentrate on in an emergency is the front brake because if you get that one wrong, lock it up and don't correct that problem quickly, then you're going to crash..

I see lots and lots of street guys showing up at the track for the first time. Some have decent skills. Some have no fear of the throttle and some can drag their knee but I have yet to see a single one that fully understood braking. And to be honest, most really suck at brakes. I’ve had guys with 30 or more years of riding experience that were terrified of the brakes. You would be shocked at the guys who almost totally depend on the rear brake. The reason is they have no idea what the limit of the front brake is and it scares them to death.

It takes practice to overcome those fears but we all can do it. The best place to develop braking skills is at a track. You have control riders and instructors who are happy to give you guidance. Where else can you find a safe environment where everyone is going the same direction and you can exceed triple digits and nail the brakes at least 30 times in a 20 minute session? Then have an instructor drill you about the Do's & Don'ts.

Mastering the brakes is the absolute best thing you can do for yourself as a rider. Nothing else is more apt to save your life or avoid broken bones. Trimming 100’ off the stopping distance from triple digits through practice and instruction may come in very handy some day! Be Prepared for the worst and hope for the best!

I honestly believe the motorcycle death rate could be cut in half through proper training and skill development. Skilled braking would certainly save a large number of lives. Remember that 92% of crash victims have no training whatsoever! And,,,,,,,,, a full one third never even attempt to apply the brakes! That is not a coincidence!

I could add pages to this thread but it’s already long enough to be boring.

It’s very easy to go fast, the trick is to be skillful enough on the brakes to stop quickly and safely!

:beerchug:

Last edited:
I honestly have, and big suprise, stock brakes could use some improvement. But obviously, hard brake at wot in 6th is only good for a life or death dodge of a possum. If you gotta stop quick at that speed, you will, only not by your brakes,and it's game over.

Brakes :dunno: My Busa has Breaks:wtf:

Not a fan of stock breaks. I'm convinced the stock breaks are really wood blocks for pads

I think I'm pretty good with the brakes. Unlike a lot of people I practice brake all the time. Using brakes in a straight line is easy.. unfortunately emergency braking never seems to be needed when you're going straight, so practice that corner braking!

That is a good read and a great reminder Tuf! I know personally...I could always use some practice w/ braking .... in all aspects of my riding.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

heh, yea. just glad i wasn't motivated by a deer or a super duty.

I like to think that im all right with the brakes, definitely not as precise as I would like to be at the track, getting better though. Definitely not afraid to grab a handful. The track boosted my confidence with high speed braking a bunch. I've never had do a 170-0 exhibition but my biggest “oh shucks†moment I’ve had was when I was zipping down an unfamiliar to me at the time rural road at way WAY too fast speeds when all of a sudden it turned to gravel. Couldn’t see the gravel due to the contour of the road until I was about 100m 150m off the gravel. I grabbed as much brake as I could for about 4 or 5 seconds then eased off in preparation for the gravel. I think I had the bike back to double digits by the time the front wheel gravel, maybe not it was close. Luckily the gravel portion was also flat, strait and uneventful so I coasted to a stop, turned around, went home and changed my shorts. I think a big factor for me keeping calm during the situation was that I was dressed in full leather so I felt I was adequately protected if I were to dump it in the dirt. .

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t MSF have a statement on the lines of “it’s better to swerve at xx mph†vs trying to stop?

never did a msf...and track day? none close... i am in the process of rebuilding a bike to take to the track...my 900ss...if i get that back in shape and buy a truck and register for a track day (do be whoooped on im sure) but its all to learn how to ride better...oh and win the lottery...

THIS is part of the reason what Im going to be doing track days from now on...thanks for the lesson Steven, I appreciate your efforts to always share and make us more informed and hopefully better riders. Now, answer my text message dangit:laugh::laugh:

Thanks for the great post. When I first got the busa, again thanks to the forum, I practiced hard stops from about 45 mph in a empty parking lot. 'Placed markers to assess progress.

This post reminds to do the same again. And again.

A very good reminder to all of us! I would add a few thoughts of my own.

1. After a period of non-riding - be it a few weeks or a few months - we all get rusty. We often don't realize it. As a result, at that point our actual riding skill is way lower than our perceived ability. The point is, taking it easy at first is the key.

2. Most of the 92% mentioned in the original post will not do a track day or attend a school, so it would be nice if we discuss more practical ways of improving ones riding and braking in particular.

3. We often discuss how to brake - apply the front brake gradually (like squeezing a sponge), release gradually. What I don't see being discussed is how much braking effort needs to be applied to the lever at different speeds. A simple rule is - the faster the bike's speed is the more braking effort a rider can apply without locking the brake. The kinetic energy of the bike is proportional to the square of the speed - so is the stopping distance, but so is the amount of braking effort the bike will tolerate without locking. This means if a rider is slowing down from triple digits, the maximum pressure on the lever (after smoothly squeezing the lever) should be at the beginning of the braking process. As the bike slows down, a rider should be progressively releasing the brake lever. For the sake of specific example of braking from 120 mph, I would say apply 20 lb of pressure on the lever; at 90 mph it would be 12 lb, at 70 mph it would be 8 lb, at 30 mph, it would be 4lb, and at 10 mph it would be 1lb. The key is that if you plot the maximum lever pressure against the speed, you will get a non-linear curve. Roughly it means that if you safely apply 3lb of lever pressure at 30 mph, you can safely apply 9lb of lever pressure at 60 mph. Of course, this is all aproximate because a lot depends on the road conditions, temperature, etc. So, this skill needs to be practiced. There is no need to be precise as the theory goes.

What many do is they do not apply enough pressure on the lever at high speed - rather keeping the pressure constant throughout the entire braking period - the amount of pressure suitable for low speeds. This in turn greatly increases the stopping distance. They feel if they apply more pressure, the front will lock at slow speeds - and sure it will.

4. Another side but important point I wanted to make. While braking, it is beneficial to hug the tank with your legs and let you back muscles hold your upper torso under braking, partially relieving the arm pressure on the handlebars. This will give a rider a much better feel for the braking/throttle/clutch control - all of this while still braking.

5. Another small but important point is to check your brake pads once in a while for possible glazing if you brake aggressively. Glazed pads have very unpredictable grabbing pattern, and will screw you up during emergency braking. Don't ask me how I know.

6. And one very important point I wanted to make. We all know that riding a motorcycle is 90% mental. We cannot practice all possible scenarious/skills in actual riding. There is a way to help to develop correct reflexes by visualizing what you do on the bike like in slow motion. Close you eyes, relax and visualize various scenarios and what you are doing. Do it regularly, and you will be amazed how when the trouble strikes, your body does everything right and automatically, and you are just sitting there and thinking to yourself - wow!

7. Oh, another point someone mentioned already - start braking early - and I would add as aggressively as you can - don't just sit there and procrastinate while making a decision. Time is your friend when you have it, and it is your enemy when you run out of it. So, it is important to start executing emergency braking at the first sign of trouble, and then continue thinking of whether you should continue braking or release it.

Last edited:
Back