California License DMV Skill Test

in this great state
/sarcasm
all i needed to do was go to the end of a parking lot (huge) and turn around and come back. no need for tight circles or crazyness. i had 1 hour in the seat of my busa (1st bike) when i got my endorsement.

i took my test on an old brick road and had to manuver a old gold wing in a figure 8 to pass. that was it

I took the MSF course... but after watching the video "Ride like a pro" you are suppose to ride the rear brake on slow manuevers. The video has full dressers turning in very tight circles... any sport bike can turn as good if not better. It is a State Police motorcycle guy showing how to do it... great video.

Just got my MC lic last year!!.........been riding without one forever!!

Feels good to finally have one!!

The test in Connecticut is pretty tight,had to do it in the rain on a Buddies wifes gsxr 750..most fail but on the day I was there everyone passed!!

I think if the Cali test is the same the cones would be hard on a Busa!!

Last edited:
i guess i had it easy, in SD, i took it when i was 15, and here (back then) it was a basic driving test where the DMV lady following you in a vehicle. I have heard in Minnesota, they make you set your bike on its side and pick it back up......

Wish I knew someone locally who had a smaller bike I could borrow.

Do you have a local Harley shop? Most of them have small rental bikes just for taking the test on. At least the ones here in Cali do. Just a thought.

Do you have a local Harley shop? Most of them have small rental bikes just for taking the test on. At least the ones here in Cali do. Just a thought.

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. The only time I've been in the local Harley shop no one acted like they wanted my business. Might be because I drove up in my "fur-ren" car and wasn't wearing a single piece of clothing licensed by HD. Wonder if I take the wife's Grand Cherokee next time...:laugh:

I got my original mc endorsement on my $70 Honda CB175 about 22 years ago. The endorsement wasn't transferred over, by statute or oversight I don't know, when I moved to Oklahoma from Kansas. I didn't notice it until I moved to a different state a couple of years later.

If it weren't for the hassle factor, I'd look around for someone needing cash with a $500 motorcycle for sale. I could take the test on it, then probably sell it in the spring/summer for more than I paid for it.

Last edited:
If you have a method of getting it down to you, and could return it in a week or two, I'd be willing to lend my CB550 out. I took my MC endorsement test on it, and it's damn near cheating compared to the 'busa.

3519596672_a8422bea35.jpg

It's only somewhat annoying mechanical issue is the front brake squeaks a bit. But, new tires, new brakes, fresh oil change, runs like a champion. It also sounds magical, the exhaust note and induction noise is a symphony of mechanical awesomeness. Unfortunately, it's about as slow as a Toyota Corolla!

If you have a method of getting it down to you, and could return it in a week or two, I'd be willing to lend my CB550 out. I took my MC endorsement test on it, and it's damn near cheating compared to the 'busa.

3519596672_a8422bea35.jpg

It's only somewhat annoying mechanical issue is the front brake squeaks a bit. But, new tires, new brakes, fresh oil change, runs like a champion. It also sounds magical, the exhaust note and induction noise is a symphony of mechanical awesomeness. Unfortunately, it's about as slow as a Toyota Corolla!

Thanks for the offer blusmbl. Wish you were closer.

Back