Improving your skills!

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I spent yesterday at our first 2011 track event in the rain. I generally don't ride in the wet but yesterday was the required school for new novice racers so there was no playing hookie.

I spent the entire day on the mighty gixxer shod with none other than Dunlops infamous Q2's. While these tires offer better wet traction than DOT race tires, they are far inferrior to genuine rain tires. Since most of the novice racers was on rain tires I was like a one legged man at an arse kickin contest trying to hang with these guys. Since I'm the only instructor on the team that doesn't have a race number I left the novice guys on rains to the instructors who all were on rains and I stuck with the guys on DOT tires. I'm just not interested in spending $400+ on rain tires to use once or twice a year.

What I realized by spending the entire day in the wet, is a track day now and then will definately hone your skills on both Throttle and Brake control. The rain forces one to deal with limited traction with an actual prize for the bloke who ignores mother natures requirments, the dreaded "Crash"! The mighty gixxer would spin the rear at will and definately keep your attention.

If you are interested in polishing your skills with both Throttle and Brake, visit your local track on a wet soggy day. I'm not sure of any other method in order to teach one the importance of throttle and brake control. By wet practice you'll be much more prepared to control spin in all circumstances.

The track season has finally arrived in much of the country so get your bums out for a ton of fun and join the addiction. No matter your level of skill, you will improve by injecting a few track days into your season of riding! Add a wet day and you'll see a substantial increase in Throttle and Brake control. :beerchug:

I like riding in the rain, I can drift on a wet road:laugh: Now if I can just get the hang of it when it's dry!

id love to do some track days on a nice curvy track, but i hear my busa wont take the corners :poke: :laugh:

yeah that's what my buds say too that ride with me:laugh::laugh::laugh: some reason though i'm waiting for them to come around the curve to catch up:whistle: it's all in the rider man, i've seen harleys hit the twisties better than some sport bike guys.

So true about riding in the wet. However, not too many would purposefully go riding in the rain given a choice. I did once or twice for the sole purpose of practicing in the wet, but all other times would prefet to stay home. Now, that's riding on the street.

Track is different. You are stuck with the date, so whatever comes your way - make the best of it.

In Florida, it is quite common to get caught in the rain while riding, especially for us folks that commute on the bike regularly. I have no fear of riding in the rain as it does make my awareness increase tremendously. You really have to be aware of throttle/traction/braking issues. Thanks for your thread pointing out this issue!

What is this "riding season" so many of you keep referring to? My "riding season" starts on January 1st and continues up until December 31st. :laugh:

Or one could go buy some Shinko's and get the same practice? After all according to you(who never used them) they are crappy traction. Here's a thought! Maybe riders who ride with Shinko's have better skill then you give them credit cause they pay more attention to tire slippage and such on the road. That is what you telling us to do by riding bike on track on wet pavement.

Oh yeah! Good for you compromising your safety cause you wanted to save a buck! $400 of them. I know the track is more of a controlled environment,but even so a person can end up with a permanent injury or death.

Or one could go buy some Shinko's and get the same practice? After all according to you(who never used them) they are crappy traction. Here's a thought! Maybe riders who ride with Shinko's have better skill then you give them credit cause they pay more attention to tire slippage and such on the road. That is what you telling us to do by riding bike on track on wet pavement.

Oh yeah! Good for you compromising your safety cause you wanted to save a buck! $400 of them. I know the track is more of a controlled environment,but even so a person can end up with a permanent injury or death.

Let me quote something I read some place "There are no stupid questions but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots"!

Strife: Signature line!

isn't your refusal to buy "rain tires", a direct contradiction to your premise that Shinko's are bad, and anyone that would rather save a few dollars on them is foolish.

Why would you risk your life, your bike and put others in danger too save money?

Oh boy :stirpot: SteveO is never at a loss for words, this ought to be interesting.

So, what was a great "heads up" advisory post from an expert level rider/coach has devolved into a dispute about Shinkos?
Amazing how quality communication can turn into a primitive "you don't like what I like so you must suck" interaction. Raydog

Back