Mods that improve your bikes performance also Improves your skills! REALLY?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
On a local forum a rider was asking what he could do to his SV650 that would make him a better rider. I suggested he spend his money on training. As usual lots of fellow riders suggested suspension upgrades, improved tires, steel brake lines etc. etc. The following is how I responded to the thread. You may find it interesting, helpful or irrelevant, take your pick.

===============

Keith Code is the granddaddy of motorcycle training "California Superbike School". Code started training riders back in the 80's. The following is from a Code article in Sport Rider magazine.
-----------------

The rapid pace of development in motorcycle performance and technology hasn't resulted in any average riding skill improvement. New riders don't make more or less mistakes on say, a 74 Norton Commando than they do on the new S 1000RR - they are the same errors. The bike's improvements like stability, steering response, brakes and throttle may make them feel better initially, but the improvements did not make better riders. Because the riding technology is underneath all that; the underlying technical skills needed to ride a motorcycle haven't changed. The bikes got better, the tires got better, but there weren't huge changes in the average lap times of first-time guys at the school.

Features like ABS and even traction control do provide a buffer zone of sorts to keep the over-enthusiastic types from committing a heinous error, but the basic skills need to be there. And it's the science of those skills that Code will continue to study and reveal to the rest of us.
------------------------

So Keith Code is telling us (YOU) that no upgraded parts you can buy for your bike will improve your skill level. Better suspension and steel brake lines may make you feel better but won't improve your skills. "Skill cannot be BOUGHT, it must be EARNED"!

However, "Tires are central to performance riding"! Tires are the link between the motorcycle and possible impending disaster.

The thought process is the same one that says just because I have the keys to a Porsche GT, NOW I'M A RACE CAR DRIVER..... WOOT!!!!!! LOLOLOL

I do not disagree at all...however I would like to race you.
You get the Norton Commando, and I get the gsxr1k. I might have enough skill to edge you out since I'll have quadruple the hp(reel you in on the straights).
Oh, and you get 1974 tires, this has to be fair:laugh:

SKILL :* the ability to use one's knowledge effectively and readily in execution or performance

:* dexterity or coordination especially in the execution of learned physical tasks

:* a learned power of doing something competently :* a developed aptitude or ability

I do not disagree at all...however I would like to race you.
You get the Norton Commando, and I get the gsxr1k. I might have enough skill to edge you out since I'll have quadruple the hp(reel you in on the straights).
Oh, and you get 1974 tires, this has to be fair:laugh:

I guess I'd have to put a passenger on the back to make it even, eh? :)

Yes Tuf, you are absolutely right! My bike is all stock in that respect... until the day my level reaches the potential of the bike. I do have Vesrah brake pads which provide a really good feel for the brakes, and as you mentioned in the past, braking is the most important area to master.

I agree that skill is more important than anything else.

With that being said - Tires and tire pressure are also very important.
How many Pro racers would race with street tires at factory pressures against the slicks they are use to?
Without being warm too. Do they use slicks in rain? Or do they change to something else.

So tires don't make you a better rider but they might keep the shiny side up, maybe?
Riders that abuse the slow in fast out rule are asking for trouble - something even the "right" tire can't fix.

I'm confused, buying a turbo won't make me a GP racer.....
What the fart? ??
Here I was saving money for parts.

On a serious note, and it seems relevant in this context, I am going to codes super bike school this summer, no substitution for skill and training from people who are way better and more experienced then I am

Back