California License DMV Skill Test

msf. i don't think i could've passed the test at the end with the busa, i actually don't think it's physically possible.

I took the cali test on my Blackbird, used back brake for the circle, passed 1st time but it was a beeotch for sure !!!

MSF here, it was slightly amusing on how much these bikes where dropped but kept going and going.

Picture 493.jpg

Picture 494.jpg

i took mine back in 1986..all i remember is i passed it the first time and took it on a 700 nighthawk s

msf. i don't think i could've passed the test at the end with the busa, i actually don't think it's physically possible.

It is passable on a Busa or any bike. Most people are great "fast" riders, but suck at going slow, it just takes practice. Go out to a safe parking lot, set up some cones and practice. Just remember, look where you want to go, the bike will follow.

In Indiana they switched from the dmv test to just having the abate program doing the tests. The test isn't that bad except for the box test, i took the abate course when i got my license and only one guy actually correctly performed the box test.

I took the msf instead. I had went down to dmv on the busa one evening to check out how tuff it was. After an hour or so messin' with that damn circle...ya screw it i'll take the course.

+100

I did the same exact thing. The circle here in Cali is what about 8 ft round? lol

I need to take the test again after a state somewhere didn't transfer my previous endorsement.

Wish I could get a sense for what exactly is required for Kentucky. There are a number of videos on YouTube, but I haven't seen any for this state.

Nice job digging up an old thread to promote something you're selling dimetrio85.

Back about 1970 in Texas when I was 15yrs old I was restricted to a 5 BHP cycle.
I was caught on a CB 350 Honda and the judge took my license away for 6 months.... :rulez:,, I had a copy so it did not matter,:cheerleader:
At 16 I got my unrestricted license,,, I have been riding on the street since I was 10 yrs old....
I am all for the license requirements like they have over in Europe ..:please:
I have seen to many 16 year old s pull up on a GSXR 1000 or ZX or CBR and
and tell me they have never rode a bike before,,,
Last summer a 19 year old kid totaled a GSXR 1000 and never made it out of the parking lot,,, he hit the brick wall WFO,,,,,:banghead::
Mike

I took the MSF course about 6 years ago, I didn't know hot to ride before that. I have tried the DMV circle, after about 10 or so try's I got it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
I took it in 1974 on a Kawi triple w/expansion chambers and with what we thought was the coolest thing to do back then, pullbacks (factory handlebars bent straight back). Was great for wheelies but sucked for slow turning. So basically I wouldn't see the Busa as a problem.

Last edited:
I tried to pass the Calif test on my Busa...that is the smallest circle ...I tried tail braking it...throttle slightly on with brake..no brake...could make it around all the way but couldn't keep front wheel in on second go around...hopeless. anywho, the DMV guy said few sports bikes make it around the course due to the shape of the tire and the turning geometry of the bike...ended up having to lay out 250 bucks and 2 full days of Motorcyle Safety class. I'll tell you those guys work for every penny they earn. There were people who couldn't go 10 feet without stalling or lurching right and left...by the end of the class they were doing all of the skills needed to pass the class...pretty cool to see it!!2hip

The new law here in Fl is you have to attend MSF unless you already have stamp. After passing you do just have to go to DMV and pay for new license that says motorcycle on it , costs $25. The people I used put the info into DMV system immediately so by the time I got there about 30 minutes later they already had records in the computer of me passing and all was ok.
As far as the class itself goes. It was fairly easy but as mentioned by other poster many are good fast but alot stink at going slow. We had to do figure 8s within a rectangle approximately lane width by about 20 feet. Kinda diff and would have been uncomfortable on the Busa. Think about it we all do U turns but how often do you really do low speed maneuvers like figure 8s and slow circles in really small areas ? We had no choice though as bikes were supplied and could not have used our own. I got stuck on a Suzi 250 cruiser. Have not ridden a cruiser in my entire life. I kept missing the durn pegs ! It was actually kinda funny and the instructors got a good laugh out of it. I am so used to sitting straight up that when I wanted to break or whatever I kept putting my feet down instead of out only to feel nothing there !:laugh: What was supposed to take two full days took only one day and a couple hrs the next. There was only six if us , all with exp so we moved right along and got all the riding part done in one day. We came back next day 9am for about an hour in class and took a test , multiple choice , all of the Q&A could be found in the study guide we got the day before so it was pretty easy.

I tried to pass the Calif test on my Busa...that is the smallest circle ...I tried tail braking it...throttle slightly on with brake..no brake...could make it around all the way but couldn't keep front wheel in on second go around...hopeless. anywho, the DMV guy said few sports bikes make it around the course due to the shape of the tire and the turning geometry of the bike...ended up having to lay out 250 bucks and 2 full days of Motorcyle Safety class. I'll tell you those guys work for every penny they earn. There were people who couldn't go 10 feet without stalling or lurching right and left...by the end of the class they were doing all of the skills needed to pass the class...pretty cool to see it!!2hip

+1

I didn't really learn much in the class but it was fun none the less.

I took my test back in '93, after I had already taken the MSF. Back then, the MSF didn't exempt you from the driving test. I was nervous about putting my foot down during the whole test, but passed on my '88 katana 600.

Back