Improving your skills!

how is practicing in the rain with good tires the same as using cheap tires?

the argument is that since Steven is not using the tire with the absolute most grip available he is doing the same thing as the guys we chastise for running cheap tires on the street. Not quite an apples to apples comparo imo.

I know you are blinded by friendship.....but he clearly stated he did not want to spend the money...

I'm just not interested in spending $400+ on rain tires to use once or twice a year.

I saw that in "My Friends" first post, but you have still completely missed the point and purpose. Clearly you are blinded by an axe to grind.

the argument is that since Steven is not using the tire with the absolute most grip available he is doing the same thing as the guys we chastise for running cheap tires on the street. Not quite an apples to apples comparo imo.

Not wanting to pop for rain tires that only get used once or twice a year seems very reasonable to me.
What people who DON'T ride to the limits of their bike/equipment don't get is that.....in terms of tires, the more high end the tire is, the more precision the message is from the tarmac to the operator's brain. Lower end tires simply aren't able to communicate the kinesthetic message required for the extreme dovetailing of safety and performance in "on the edge" situations.
As to a quality tire, but not a dedicated rain tire, one will get the same consistant message with traction limits and a good rider immediately adjusts his safety envelope based on that limit.
If you don't get and apply that, you probably shouldn't ride in the wet cause you have people that don't want you to crash. Raydog

P1020651.JPG

Nice points Raydog.

I don't know the exact weather conditions he was riding in but I have done some wet track days on Q2s and I can attest that with a little restraint you'll do just fine. I've also ridden with Steve at the track on several occasions and unless this novice group is significantly more talented than last years group he can probably run circles around them on Q2s vs their GPA 211's.

Sorry but the use of Shinko tires on the street, and the refusal to use a true rain tire are analogous.

1. In both cases there are tires available with more grip.
2. in both cases there are tires that will perform better.
3. In both cases the money was a deciding factor.
4. In both cases the tires perform well, when ridden within thier limits

By refusing to spend the money on rain tires, your friend decided give up the added safety that is comes with "more available grip"....He instead chose to use restraint, skill and common sense to ride within the limits of the tires he was using at the time....

we all do this everytime we ride our bikes....Even those that ride on Shinko's.

Nobody has ever claimed that Shinko's were the best tire available, and nobody said you could win a race on them. What has been said over and over is that perform well when used in the correct manner.

Shinko tires are downgraded....and those that use them are insulted, but when one of your own does the exact same thing you applaud him. It is hypocritical to insult people that choose to use a Shinko, then go out and do the exact same thing by not buying the best available tire, with the most available grip.

sorry that this ruffles some feathers. I am sure he is a great guy, but in this instance Steven (no disrespect intended) is being a bit of a hypocrit.

I saw that in "My Friends" first post, but you have still completely missed the point and purpose. Clearly you are blinded by an axe to grind.

Not only did he miss the point in this thread, he missed the entire point in the Shinko thread as well.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!

And,,,,,,,,,,,,, I knew as soon as he popped in with a bad attitude he'd resort to name calling. Character trait!

I can see both sides and tuff you should also as a leader!!!!
I do not know either of you so this is a just what I think..:rulez:

Afterhours argument is logical and has demonstrated Tuff has used the same reasoning as his opponents in the Shinko camp. If Tuff wishes to continue the debate he will have to reformulate his argument with different premises.

Point to Afterhours. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

cheers
ken

One thing that sure happens alot in these "point of view" threads is an amazing amount of stubborness and resistance to listen to those that have thousands of hours of experimentation and experience in the sport.
When ego and some machismo get into the mix, the incredibly important content gets compromised and it then devolves into an "I'm right and you're wrong" type of strand.

When you are trying to support a family and the world seems to be sucking the middle class dry, it's a big thing to spend an additional 50-60 bucks on a tire every few months, I understand that. There is such a big difference in safety and performance when using top tier tires in a "combat situation" it seems like an argument worth having and money well spent.

If we were talking about a motorcycle with 60 less horsepower and 100 less pounds GVW, it would be less of an issue but still an issue.

One thing that sure happens alot in these "point of view" threads is an amazing amount of stubborness and resistance to listen to those that have thousands of hours of experimentation and experience in the sport.
When ego and some machismo get into the mix, the incredibly important content gets compromised and it then devolves into an "I'm right and you're wrong" type of strand.

This is so true on both sides of the opinions. Referring back to the original poster's questions regarding Shinko tires, or "Stinkos"(depending on your opinion), no one advocated these tires would kick butt at the track. They would suffice for the everyday rider, whether commuting or curve riding. It deteriorated into name calling, insulting, etc. I replied in the original post, and this one too. I suggest people read the original and determine where the downward spiral started occurring. I have my own opinion on that as I'm sure everyone else will too. Opinions are just that, an opinion, your own theory/hypothesis. It happens with seemingly regularity on here, from gear, tires, helmets, levers, oil, etc.....

Quite frankly, the "I'm right, you're wrong" crap is boring and childish!

Point 1 - practicing on the track in rain is a good way to hone skills.
Agree - thank you for the post!

Point 2 - All this my tire is better than your tire isn't worth the electronic paper it's written on...
Point 3 -If you have empirical data or practical experience - start a thread and put it up for peer scruiny. Good or Bad!

Point 4 - Respect opinions of those with credentials (race, miles ridden, years of safe riding etc.) and save your negetive "opinions" on tires or other issues for your own threads or present empircal data to make or prove your point.

Point 5 - I like Tuf's "put your money where your mouth is" way of validating opinions.

Keep this up and I'm go'in to send everyone to their room without supper...:whistle: Got it! Ride your motorcycle with whatever tires you want for cry'on out loud!

Back