What was the FIRST Superbike ?

How about the 2 stroke triple
lurk.gif

(jerry chabino @ Jul. 23 2007,15:49) Hi all,

Just wondering what you all thought was the first superbike. ?

Me being 60 years old I pick the kawasaki 900cc Z1 1973-1976 models. 12.1 sec 1/4 mile times.
super.gif

Mvc-018l.jpg

Mvc-018A.jpg

Not a Z1 but I loved it
super.gif

super.gif

(jerry chabino @ Jul. 23 2007,13:49) Hi all,

Me being 60 years old I pick the kawasaki 900cc Z1 1973-1976 models.  12.1 sec 1/4 mile times.
Actually alot of folks would say the Vincent Black Shadow, they had that old v-twin up to 150 mph when all the other bikes were lucky to break 100. I think that was back in the 1930's? It was kinda the Hayabusa of that era
wink.gif

(jerry chabino @ Jul. 23 2007,16:49) Hi all,

Me being 60 years old I pick the kawasaki 900cc Z1 1973-1976 models.  12.1 sec 1/4 mile times.
I agree...the three cylinder two stroke 750 was hot...but the KZ900 was king of the road. Owning one of them was equivalent to owning a Busa now.
muscle.gif

Well?..as i recall?...yep....the 750 trips were bad as hell and the KZ900's took 4 stroke into bad-to-the-bone land but...i'm surprised no one has mentioned the CBX yet...as i recall?...KZ's had the nod by popularity but...I never recalled any CBX owners fearing them.

I think the terminology of "superbike" belongs to the 1984 Kawasaki Ninja. Its predecessors were certainly super. A new species of sportbike began with the zx900a-1. Of course I'm very biased!

CIMG0566b.jpg

I'm sticking with my Vincent answer above for defining a true streetable Superbike....But in the grand scheme of things the heyday of Superbike Racing in the USA (for me anyways) I have to think back to the days of 1025cc AMA fire breathing superbikes! Wes Cooley on the Old GS1000, Lawson on the Kawi and Freddie Spencer on the Honda! Tubular Handlebars wide as a truck, frames that had gussets welded all over the place to stop em from tearing apart, twin shocks and no bodywork except a bikini fairing! Man VS machine! AH AH AH!!!
beerchug.gif

BTW that Rollie Free picture (prone on the Vincent in a speedo!) makes me want to watch worlds fastest Indian again! Although the actor who played him in that movie had no business in a speedo EVER!

Can't leave out the VFR1000 from that list also, first full fairing "Super Bike" to hit the streets. was 1 of my favorite bikes (that i've owned).

the GS1100 was a great bike at the time, had 1 of those too.

But my favorite bike (not counting the Busa) was my Eliminator. I just loved that bike. Not really a "SuperBike" but i had a blast on it.

The Yam RD 500 and 300 need to be included in the list also.

And of course can't leave out the 2 stroke tripples. (never owned 1, but had friends that did. What a f-ing monster!

Back