The HAYABUSA vs. The new crop of 1000's

btreaves

Registered
I've been reading the board and it seems like everyone is wondering which bike is the quickest/fastest again...The BUSA has gotten a bit long in the tooth and that has allowed these new litre bikes to seriously challenge for supremacy.  Anyway to try and answer these questions I have posted some numbers from SportRider.com that should answer most of these questions.  

Read them and weap fellas.  It's time to reload cuz after 5 years, the BUSA is damn near, the slowest bike of the bunch.  Unless you've done some serious tinkering
smile.gif

Suzuki Hayabusa

60-80mph - 3.28 secs
80-100mph - 3.47 secs
top speed - 189.6mph
quarter mile - 9.97@144.8

Kawasaki ZX-10R

60-80mph - 2.72 secs
80-100mph - 2.67 secs
top speed - 186mph
quarter mile - 9.92@147.4

Yamaha R1

60-80mph - 2.80 secs
80-100mph - 2.92 secs
top speed - 184mph
quarter mile - 9.93 @147.4

Suzuki GSXR 1000

60-80mph - 2.64 secs
80-100mph - 2.78 secs
top speed - 180mph
quarter mile - 9.96@144.7

Honda CBR 1000

60-80mph - 3.09
80-100mph - 2.96
top speed - 175mph
quarter mile - 10.16@142.1

<!--EDIT|btreaves
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098274557 -->

which in that list can also:
- carry passengers very quickly
- travel the country comfortably
- have a unique look
- not blow up engines or break front tires
- keep tires down at the strip
- hold 180+ with great stability
- not need to be updated for 5 years
- have rocketsled speed AND Cadillac feel

I don't ride by numbers, I ride by feel and until something else can EQUAL or BETTER all that, the Busa is STILL worthy of our praise.

.... but that R1's lookin HOT!
biggrin.gif

blah, blah, blah,......I may be a non mathmatic country bumpkin but if the Busa is the "slowest of the bunch" shouldn't some of those numbers be a little slower...10.16 seems a little slower than the busa.....

rock.gif

Um... screwiest numbers I have ever seen... I can couner this with motorcyclists best stock 1/4 mile of 9.88...

It's pointless, it's allways been fairly pointless... But even more so now that the Hayabusa certainly does not hold the huge advantage in power it once did. It's all up the rider...

Magazines, you have to remember they are still in the entertainment business... They go into an article usually with a point or a message allready predetermined... Hell For the last 4 years or so one of the Brit mags has been placing the Busa at the Ass of every comparison while another goes on and on about it wonderful handling.... Bench racing at it's best...

But I will give you this, it sure as hell is time for Suzuki to freshen things up... I figure about 15 HP, 20Ftlbs and a loss of about 50 lbs will do just perfect.
biggrin.gif

I'm sure Suzuki could update the 'busa to bring it more in line with the GSXR1000 that will be coming out shortly. The question really is - would it be anything like a Hayabusa any more?

If you want a race bike, buy a race bike.

I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I would say that the shelf life for most products without some type of significant modification is no more than 5 years. However, I like others didn't get the 'Busa simply because it was the baddest mutha on the street. I hope Suz does some things to her, but I'm sure it would be based upon sales numbers not just performance numbers.

We could go on forever and a day arguing about this... so
thanks for putting up some stats...
I'll leave it at that
smile.gif

(BTW, busa #1 !!!!!
tounge.gif
)

Heres my opinion. I think the busa is a classic. It looked cool in 99 and it still does today. I compare it to the porshe 911. I think suk should do what porshe has done so successfully. keep the basic design and continue to improve it every year. Id love to see a bus with better lights , more hp , a lil less weight , better brakes etc. Those improvements wouldnt reneder the older busas as useless and would keep interest in the bike ongoing. I think the basic body could go unchanged for 5 more years and ppl would still buy it. In 99 the bus was the all out ass kicker , we are used to that title and should have it back. Come on Suzuki , crank this thing up , refine it and it will sell as fast as you can build it. sj

i say the liters finally caught up and are even with the bus now. however, i haven't seen any datas of any liter beating the busa's 9.8 sec. 1/4 mile time or top speed yet.

I know its pointless to argue but....

If you are looking at the article I think you are the liter bike times are corrected, the BUSA is not!

It is all in the rider and I will say I have had no trouble with any liter bike! Sharpen your skills guys and buy what "YOU" want, not what the magazine tries to sell you!
wink.gif

what people also need to realize when it comes to track times, is thereaction time of the rider. he could just launch a little slower on one and it would throw it all off. Not everyone will launch every bike the same. Those use to a liter bike might have a hard time launching a busa.

SportRider mag sucks. Shine pulled a 9.88 compared to the ZedEks' 9.91

It's all about the driver.

rock.gif

It was in Motorcyclist mag, I don't have it in front of me, but I could find if someone doesn't beat me to it.
blush.gif

I think the Busa has more potential and is still feared in the 1/4 mile. In the twisties I would say the R-1.
Be nice to have both,,,,,,,,hummmmmm thats a thought.

I've been reading the board and it seems like everyone is wondering which bike is the quickest/fastest again...The BUSA has gotten a bit long in the tooth and that has allowed these new litre bikes to seriously challenge for supremacy.  Anyway to try and answer these questions I have posted some numbers from SportRider.com that should answer most of these questions.  

Read them and weap fellas.  It's time to reload cuz after 5 years, the BUSA is the slowest bike of the bunch.  Unless you've done some serious tinkering
smile.gif

Suzuki Hayabusa

60-80mph - 3.28 secs
80-100mph - 3.47 secs
top speed - 189.6mph
quarter mile - 9.97@144.8

Kawasaki ZX-10R

60-80mph - 2.72 secs
80-100mph - 2.67 secs
top speed - 186mph
quarter mile - 9.92@147.4

Yamaha R1

60-80mph - 2.80 secs
80-100mph - 2.92 secs
top speed - 184mph
quarter mile - 9.93 @147.4

Suzuki GSXR 1000

60-80mph - 2.64 secs
80-100mph - 2.78 secs
top speed - 180mph
quarter mile - 9.96@144.7

Honda CBR 1000

60-80mph - 3.09
80-100mph - 2.96
top speed - 175mph
quarter mile - 10.16@142.1
Since im bored. Only quarter miles
motorcyclist sportrider

CBR1000RR     10.30@140        10.16@142
ZX10R           10.06@145       9.92@147
GSXR1000      10.10@142         9.96@144
99 Busa                                 9.97@144
01 Busa                                10.23@140
03 Busa         9.88@143

So if u want to believe the mags go ahead.

<!--EDIT|bs72069
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098273495 -->

Nah, the busa is still King. With a 1397 big bore kit and some other stuff it will still kill all stock litre bikes.
laugh.gif

(Before you get yer panties in a wad, read the "Dam I got beat" thread so you get the humor in this reply...
wink.gif
)

Here I go again with my input. I get so enraged when people start comparing the Busa and ZX10. Oh yes, the ZX10 is one bad mutha... shut yo' mouf!
biggrin.gif
And I won't take nothing from it as well as the R1, the Gixx 1000, or the CBR 1000. Fact is... why do we compare apples and oranges like this. The difference in weight is entirely too exteme to even compare. You're comparing two bikes with approx. 150 lbs of weight difference. Make that weight difference a little more comparable and it won't even be a competition. I don't pay attention to this crap unless you're comparing bikes that are more evenly matched all the way around. Point is... doesn't Nascar have a weight spec for its cars (not a rhetorical question)?
rock.gif
You have to level the playing field to make this sort of competition really mean something. Since weight has a lot to do with performance, then why is it relevant to comparing a Busa and ZX10? I mean, come on guys/gals, its almost like comparing the Busa to the Tomahawk (ya'll know the V10 super bike with Viper engine in it...). If you're not talking about Busa vs ZX12 or Blackbird, then in my eyes it's not even relevant. It's only for bragging rights to be able to say that my ZX10 beat your Busa (reality check here guys...). I give much respect to any of the litre bikes, but I'm not going to be done in by numbers that compare these two. Trim 50 to 70 lbs off the Busa, and the Busa will hand ALL bikes their asses in a grocery bag. O.K. let's say they trim 50lbs off the Busa. What will Kawi do to the ZX10 to improve it's performance without any engine changes?
rock.gif
They can't afford to trim any more weight off the ZX10 and keep it safe. The motors on the liter bikes are a far cry from competing with the motor on a Busa. (i.e. take a ZX10 motor and put it on a Busa and vice versa...). It would be interesting to see what kind of numbers a ZX10 would put up with a Busa motor. The motor would definitely add weight to the ZX10, but I'm willing to bet my paycheck that the added weight to performance ratio would be in favor of the ZX10 being called a true "SUPERBIKE." Now flip the script and put a ZX10 motor on a Busa and just the opposite would happen. I mean it's basically a common sense issue.

And as my mentor Revlis and some other board members have said... "It has a lot to do with the rider." Case-in-point: I have a rider friend of mine who has a '03 Gixx 1000 that has only a Micron full exhaust, lowered, and stretched about 4". He runs a consistent 9.4 sec. in the quarter. No bullshit guys, I've been to the track with him on several occassions and he has handed guys their asses. Also consider the fact that he weighs only about 150 lbs soaking wet.
biggrin.gif
I have another buddy who has a ZX12 that is bored and sprayed, and he always wants to run me on my Busa. Albeit I've only got full exhaust, PCIIIr, TRE, and lowered, he still talks smack simply because it's Kaw vs Zuk. Funny thing is that his next project bike is a turbo Busa... go figure.
rock.gif
Anyway, I've said all this poop to simply say... "Whenever Suzuki decides to get on the playing field with some slight improvements to the Busa, don't get your undies in a bunch behind all this nonsense."

My name is Brian Charles, and I approve this message.
smile.gif

rock.gif

biggrin.gif

rock.gif

am curious on the numbers on the 05 gsxr1000 against the other liter bikes.

<!--EDIT|bs72069
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098279612 -->

OK guys... educate me.

Is the 0.35 seconds difference between the lowest time (9.88) and the highest time (10.23) really perceptible?  It seems like they should all be "close enough".  Wouldn't that 0.35s be within the margin of error? But then I don't know - I don't ride.
smile.gif

Thanks!

<!--EDIT|Mrs. Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098280342 -->

Back