busa vs Y2K ZX9R

sherm

Registered
Numbers fun.
Sport Rider's latest issue has a full test of the Y2K 9R. How much better does the 12R have to be to beat the busa? Here is a comparison of the Y2K 9R numbers with Sport Rider's 99 busa performance numbers.

top speed:
busa - 189.6
9R - 173.5
busa by 16.1 mph

1/4 mile
busa - 9.97/144.8
9R - 10.06/139
busa by .09 sec/5.8 mph

60-80 roll-on
busa - 3.28
9R - 3.13
9R by .15 sec

80-100 roll-on
busa - 3.47
9R - 3.52
busa by .05 sec

So, except for the top speed department, the 12R only has to be a hair better than the 9R to beat the busa mag numbers.

What does it all mean? It means that with a foot of snow on the ground you do some pretty dumb things to kill time.

Owning both a 98 ZX-9 and a 99 Busa, I have very serious doubts on the "closeness of the 1/4 mi et and mph. My Busa has my ZX-9 covered by .65 sec, and 9 mph in quarter mile. From other reports, the 2000 ZX-9 isn't much faster than 98 or 99 versions. Just my 2 cents.

Numbers that close comes down to rider difference. I would not take the 9R lightly. Just a couple mods will make the thing fly. I sat on a friends bike and thought I was on a dirt bike, No weight and you can throw it around like a CR250. It's a whole different class bike but I can see it could bite if you let your guard down. My opinion!

Your opinion jack, holds the most weight on this thread thus far. It is down to rider ability until 160 or so. Anyone who say's otherwise rides mostly alone. I have the luxury of living in south fla. where sportbikes are everywhere and at least 3 days a week large groups assemble at designated places. Believe me, all talent levels and new models are well represented. The busa walks away from everybody on top, thats not open to argument. But thru the gears all out its just another top contender. Nobody can shake an R1 up to 160, the piped and jetted ZX9's are also dangerous. I'm talking about 98-99 models now. Which brings me to the point: The 2000 zx9 is no longer "not quite an R1" look for the shootout where the lap times are the same and the quarter is owned by the 9r. There are some on/off throttle issues that need to be addressed but who cares? The muzzy pipe/jet kit will solve that beef and add 12 horse, also drop 10lbs. This bike is for real, there are 2 burning gas here now and mods are planned, I'll letcha know.
BTW, how much nastier will the 12 be than the 9? Kinda like david and goliath......

...this has been said by me before, but I think the ZX12 missed the boat...the ZX9 is truly cool, almost bought one...the ZX13 is the one we will have to worry about...but firt they got to do somthing with all them ZX12's they cobbled together...

I currently have a 99' ZX-9R with only a muzzy full exhaust system. I have to agree with you on the fact that the rider means alot when racing from a dead stop but it doesnt take alot of skill to race from a 1st or 2nd gear roll where most of the challenges
occur.
I have raced my bike at several 1/8th mile tracks and with the muzzy and that is all,I have run a 6.91 at 108.69mph. I realize that other factors are involved with the main factors being rider skill and wieght. I have seen so many R-1s at the track I'm sick of seing them.But not one time have I seen one,with or without full exhaust best my mph which is a testament of hp.
I am not saying it hasnt been done,Im sure it has but not at my track. I have raced several R-1s from a roll in any gear,who thought the only reason I beat them from a dead stop was because they couldnt keep the front end down only to disappoint them again.
One guy was a great rider,one of the best I've ridden with and he weighed 160lbs but I beat him 3 of 4 races..one I lost because I banged the rev limiter in 2nd. He had an Akra full system and jet kit.
I know some of this is irrelavent but I have also raced many a busa from rolls and dead stops. The busa with an exhaust will tear me apart either way so I know they will roast an R1 before it hits 160mph. I stay within a bike length till about 100mph from a roll then the busa walks me like I'm sitting still.
I have looked at a 2000 ZX-9 parked right beside my 99 model and have noticed that the pipes on the 00'model are as big as my muzzy header so I question whether a full exhaust will help this bike as much as it helped mine.
As for the ZX-12 only time will tell what will happen but to put the ZX-9 anywhere close to the busa on acceleration is a total mismatch. The differences in mag times cant really be taken into consideration unless they are run back to back in the same conditions.If they were I am positive the busa would chap the ZX-9's a**.

The 12 will be great, I get the feeling though that Kawasaki are struggling to beat the Hayuabusa's top speed in all conditions, I was at the Alexandra Palace bike show yesterday and Kawasaki didn't have a ZX12 on display (they had one a few months ago at the NEC.)
Are Kawasaki struggling and having to make major alterations to beat the Busa hence the no show - I wouldn't bet against it.

Poor Kawasaki, they finally pip the Blade then the next week Yamaha trounce them with the R1, then just before the forthcoming 12 is announmced the Busa appears, Kawasaki have been very shifty about the 12 ever since.

To give away a 100CC and make a faster and equally ridable bike isn't going to be easy, the peakyness of the smaller motor is probably causing them all sorts of problems.

ZX9R is a quick bike. And I will admit to being beat by two of em last summer on the street. As much my fault as was the state of tune of these bikes. They both beat me off the line. Brock clutch mod needed?

For what its worth
Motorcyclist has the 60-80 roll-on for the Busa at 2.70 secs--ZX9R-2.89 secs

80-100 roll-on Busa-2.89 ZX9R--3.52 secs.
So now what??
It really only matters what YOU will do on the street/track.
Bob

I dont like the roll-on times. I never have understood why they even post these. Gearing has so much effect on this.4th gear on a Hayabusa is probably geared the same as 6th gear on a ZX-9. The ZX-9 is around its 12000rpm redline at 175mph or so. I'm not sure what the busa redline is cause mine hasnt come in yet but I'm assuming around 10,500rpm or so. I think I read where the busa hits limiter at 199. Does that tell you the difference in gearing? Maybe a 4th gear busa vs. 6th gear ZX-9 roll on....that would be close.

To BusTaKaw: Point well made. Busa 4th gear, would be close to ZX-9 6th gear, for same rpm rollon. The acceleration difference would be far more dramatic. What amazes me is how fast Busa will accelerate in 6th gear.................. ...When I first got mine, it went from 4000 to 6000 rpm to pass a car. The seemingly gradual rise in rpm didn't seem too dramatic, until I looked at the speedo. Went from 80 to 120 mph (indic.) Bike hauls much a*s , without even trying hard.

[This message has been edited by c.dolan (edited 07 February 2000).]

More numbers.
Sport Rider tested the busa side by side with the Backbird (Aug 99 issue). If you compare the Y2K 9R numbers with the Blackbirds you'll find that the 9R outperformed the Blackbird by a good margin in every test but top speed. And the Blackbird's top speed was only 2.6 mph faster than the 9R.

To add insult to injury Sport Rider said about the 9R: "all in all an excellent bike to load some soft luggage onto and head away for a long weekend ride."

Back