What octane rating is everyone running

The amount of power produced by X amount of pump gas will be the same no matter what octane rating you choose. 87 octane will not make a more violent explosion, it'll just ignite easier. Higher octane is used to stop detonation (engine ping) and that happens when the engine is under heavy load conditions. Too low an octane and the fuel ignites too early, timing is thrown off and you hammer the pistons. Solution is to retard the timing and lose power or increase octane rating.
No amount of accessories running will cause enough drag on an engine to make a difference at idle. One of my previous cars required 101 octane as stated in the owners manual and it idled smooth as glass off 87. With enough de-tuning I was able to get it to run acceptably off 93 and still destroy 9 out 10 cars pulling up next to it at a stop light.
This is true. Gas explodes/burns the same no matter what octane you use. The higher the octane the more it takes to ignite it. Keeps it from detonating in your higer compression engines. Dont want the gas to ignite at the wrong time and ruin your motor. Running a higher octane wont hurt....it is all pretty much personal pref in this case.

<!--EDIT|unkleslapnutz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146053877 -->

Thanks all... I filled up with 87 yesterday morning on an empty tank. Ran my normal commute, plus some riding yesterday, and then commuted to work this morning. Didn't notice any difference at all, besides the extra money in my pocket
cool.gif

i thought it had something to do with how much water is in the gas and all that stuff.i"ve heard of the lower octane has more water. either way I cant tell the difference being im on my first tank of gas.... ha ha with only 70miles on the odmeter . ...i put in sonoco 94 octane...but I will try the others also

i thought it had something to do with how much water is in the gas and all that stuff.i"ve heard of the lower octane has more water. either way I cant tell the difference being im on my first tank of gas.... ha ha with only 70miles on the odmeter . ...i put in sonoco 94 octane...but I will try the others also
Water?

sweet I am back to 87 :-) darn these gas prices. what car do you have Turbo Torch?
I no longer have that car....sold her back in '99 when I bought my Stingray. It was a 1962 Olds with a 394 cui "ultra high compression rocket" J-2-3. She was rated at a beastly 400HP with 500 lbs of torque. Averaged 9 mpg. With modern tires she moved out as fast as a Vette and was heavy enough to take on an Excursion in a fit of road rage.
smile.gif

No water.
smile.gif

Now water injection is a great way to stop detonation on a high compression engine. Back in the 70's when gas turned to unleaded crap and there were tons of kick ass 60's super cars still roaming the roads, water injection became very popular. Instead of detuning the car and losing a ton of HP, you could install a water injection kit that would spray a water/alcohol mixture into the carb under hard acceleration. Today those kits are hard to find and I believe mostly used in high boost turbo applications.
In '62, the factory turbo charged Olds F85 had it right on the car from the factory.

She runs PERFECT on 87...so I don't waste my money on anything else  
wink.gif

87 here, and I can still take off at a traffic light in second gear without pinging.

87 on all my cars

2000 Stang GT
2004 Crown Vic
1972 Jaguar XJ6

my truck is a little pickier I run 89 on that one
2000 Ford Super Duty V-10 (needless to say, it is staying in the driveway at 14mpg)
biggrin.gif

The octane ratings of n-heptane and iso-octane are exactly 0 and 100, by definition. For some other hydrocarbons, the following table gives the road octane numbers as stated in [1]. See references for another source.

2-methylheptane 23
n-hexane 25
2-methylhexane 44
1-heptene 60
n-pentane 62
1-pentene 84
n-butane 91
cyclohexane 97
benzene 101
toluene 112
Note: The octane rating of cyclohexane significantly varies form source to source. See for example [2]

[edit]
Effects of octane rating
Higher octane ratings correlate to higher activation energies. Activation energy is the amount of energy necessary to start a chemical reaction. Since higher octane fuels have higher activation energies, it is less likely that a given compression will cause knocking. (Note that it is the absolute pressure (compression) in the combustion chamber which is important - not the compression ratio. The compression ratio only governs the maximum compression that can be achieved).

It might seem odd that fuels with higher octane ratings burn less easily, yet are popularly thought of as more powerful. The misunderstanding is caused by confusing the ability of the fuel to resist compression detonation (pre-ignition = engine knock) as opposed to the ability of the fuel to burn (combustion). However, premium grades of petrol often contain more energy per litre due to the composition of the fuel as well as increased octane.

A simple explanation is the carbon bonds contain more energy than hydrogen bonds. Hence a fuel with a greater number of carbon bonds will carry more energy regardless of the Octane rating. A premium motor fuel will often be formulated to have both higher Octane as well as more energy. A counter example to this rule is that ethanol blend fuels have a higher octane rating, but carry a lower energy content. The reason for this is that ethanol is a partially oxidized hydrocarbon which can be seen by noting the presence of oxygen in the chemical formula: C2H5OH. Note the substitution of the OH hydroxyl radical for a H hydrogen which transforms the gas ethane (C2H6) (which is an alkane) into ethanol (which is an alcohol). Note that to a certain extent a fuel with a higher carbon ratio will be more dense than a fuel with a lower carbon ratio. Thus it is possible to formulate high Octane fuels that carry less energy per liter than lower Octane fuels. This is certainly true of ethanol blend fuels (gasohol), however fuels with no ethanol and indeed no oxygen are also possible.

Using a fuel with a higher octane lets an engine run at a higher compression without having problems with knock. Actual compression in the combustion chamber is determined by the compression ratio as well as the amount of air restriction in the intake manifold (manifold vacuum) as well as the barometric pressure which is a function of elevation and weather conditions.

Compression is directly related to power (see engine tuning), so engines that require higher octane usually deliver more power. Engine power is a function of the fuel as well as the engine design and is related to Octane ratings of the fuel... power is limited by the maximum amount of fuel-air mixture that can be stuffed into the combustion chamber. Furthermore, most gasoline vehicles today are variable compression. At partial load, only a small fraction of the total available power is produced because the manifold is operating at pressures far below atmospheric. In this case, the octane requirement is far lower than what is available. It is only when the throttle is opened fully and the manifold pressure increases to atmospheric (or higher in the case of supercharged or turbocharged engines) that the full octane requirement is achieved.

Many high-performance engines are designed to operate with a high maximum compression and thus need a high quality (high energy) fuel usually associated with high octane numbers, and thus demand high-octane premium gasoline.

The power output of an engine depends on the energy content of its fuel, and this bears no simple relationship to the octane rating. A common myth amongst petrol consumers is that adding a higher octane fuel to a vehicle's engine will increase its performance and/or lessen its fuel consumption; this is mostly false—engines perform best when using fuel with the octane rating they were designed for and any increase in performance by using a fuel with a different octane rating is minimal.

Using high octane fuel for an engine makes a difference when the engine is producing its maximum power. This will occur when the intake manifold has no air restriction and is running at minimum vacuum. These conditions are present only when the accelerator is totally depressed.

When this occurs, if a fuel with below recommended octane is used, then the engine will knock. Modern engines have anti-knock provisions built into the control systems and this is usually achieved by dynamically de-tuning the engine while under load by increasing the fuel-air mixture and retarding the spark. Here is a white paper that gives an example: http://dinancars.com/whitepapersFile.asp?ID=9 . In this example the engine maximum power is reduced by about 4% with a fuel switch from 93 to 91 octane (11 hp, from 291 to 280 hp). If the engine is being run below maximum load then the difference in octane will have even less effect. The example cited does not indicate at what elevation the test is being conducted, and what the barometric pressure is. For each 1000 feet of altitude the atmospheric pressure will drop by a little less than 1 psi (23 kPa/km). An engine that might require 93 octane at sea level may perform at maximum on a fuel rated at 91 octane if the elevation is over say 1000 feet.

The octane rating was developed by the chemist Russell Marker. The selection of n-heptane as the zero point of the scale was due to the availability of very high purity n-heptane, not mixed with other isomers of heptane or octane, distilled from the resin of the Jeffrey Pine. Other sources of heptane produced from crude oil contain a mixture of different isomers with greatly differing ratings, which would not give a precise zero point.

down.gif
I passed chemistry with a "D". I have no idea what you said. I got lost just before the words "by definition".
down.gif

down.gif

Good Job Qball... The stupid Salesman took mine to the Station and filled it with 105 Racing Fuel for $5.20 a gal. should have been a rocket unable to keep the front wheel down. You could see raw fuel in the form of Black smoke. coming from the Exhaust..
Ok maybe the bike did Idle smoother if the cylinder fires when the piston is halfway down. I am sure it will idle smoother or we know that most Companies add injector cleaner to their premium fuel that could make her prrrrr. but you can buy the cleaner and add to every 5 tank of gas and get the same thing for $1.80 I use only 50% of the bottle.. So it cost me .90 cents. 87 Octane makes my bike perform Great.. My son has the SV650 and it says Premium fuel only.. why I will look it up shortly.. Like you say the Busa is 11.0 to 1 . The SV650 is 11.5 to 1 confused.....!!

<!--EDIT|05HayabusaR&amp;B
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146250813 -->

C-16 is 117 ocatane designed for Turbo or nitrous set ups. If you put 91 or higher ocatane in your busa your wasting money. If you put higher ocatane ina vehicle that does not require to your just wasting money. Higher ocatane is NOT going to affect yout Idle. There is no water in gas.

C-16 is 117 ocatane designed for Turbo or nitrous set ups. If you put 91 or higher ocatane in your busa your wasting money. If you put higher ocatane ina vehicle that does not require to your just wasting money. Higher ocatane is NOT going to affect yout Idle. There is no water in gas.
C-16 is what I run,knew it was in the neighborhood of 117-119,about 12lbs of boost,straight C-16 with 8 degress pulled out with no problems.

Back