fuel octane

In australia our lowest is 91 octane and 98 the highest. I have always run it on either 95 or 98.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

In australia our lowest is 91 octane and 98 the highest. I have always run it on either 95 or 98.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

91 RON in Oz is the same as 87 here in the States. Your 95 is our 91, and it's said (in Wikipedia) 98 RON (our 93) is available in places.

I guess fuel depends on the area you live in.They put 10% ethanol in the 87 fuel here and it sucks.I think its more in the winter time.

What issues have you been having with ethanol?

Where I live, 10% ethanol has been added since unleaded became popular back in the mid 70s.
I remember the little picture of a corn stalk on pumps and everyone fearing it was going to destroy their vehicles.

My Corvette is 36 years old, been using ethanol since new and still has the original bladder lined tank, fuel lines, fuel pump etc. Carb was replaced sometime in the late 80s simply for a better performing model and it's never been touched since then.
Owned a built up Corvair for 15 years and the air cooled engine with its four 1960s carbs never complained even while racing it on the hottest days.

Ethanol has not affected my Busa in 20,000 miles nor anything else down to my gas powered weed eater. Gas in my generator is almost 2 years old, used it last month after a storm and it fired up without a problem.

Just curious as to what problems people have experienced while using 10% ethanol in their vehicles. First hand...not friend of a friend or read it on the internet.

I've had discussions about this on another motorcycle forum and people who live in the northern Indiana/Chicagoland area or parts of Canada where ethanol has been used for decades have had the same results as myself.
People living in parts of the country where ethanol is just showing up seem to be making disastrous claims. Some have claimed that their bikes won't run if the gas is more than two weeks old. ???

we have 10% here i didnt start my truck for over a year threw a new battery in it and it fired right up ive never had a problem with it turning bad but some people obviously have

If you keep the fuel tank full, it shouldnt spoil as fast and fuel injection will run just about anything thru it.Open the tank sometime and take a look.That ethanol is crap and really reduces the mpg's.There are some good articles about ethanol and how its bad on fuel systems.Just like the PCV system, its outdated and bad because oil sucked into the intake system will cause pinging/detonation, lowers the octane etc.All I am saying is in this damp wet climate here, fuel spoils real fast if allowed to sit and will create issues down the road.From what I was told only 87 has the ethanol in it around here and higher octanes do not.I think it depends on brand as well.I just prefer to run 92 in my bike.

The manual for the Gen I warns against using ethanol / alcohol. It reduces fuel mileage slightly. The Gen II allows for 15% from memory. Fortunately I can still get 93 octane without. I think it's the best bang for my buck.

Countless threads on this.. gen 1 recommends 87 or higher. Gen 2 93.

When EVER I put 87 in my gen 1 the gas station attendants almost falls over in shock."man, if that was bike I would only put the best in!"

Higher oct. Does not mean better. You wouldn't put 115 in a street bike. I run 87 and seafoam every oil change. I would worrie more about the ethanol, then oct. Levels.
Posted via Mobile Device

this +1 (but there is a way to remove the ethanol):laugh:

lets just say water forces the ethanol to separate :poke:

Back